Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Drivers Killed Under the Influence of Drugs Than Alcohol

Some 22.3 percent of fatally injured motorists who were tested for drugs tested positive for marijuana in 2016, a figure that researchers say has "increased substantially" in recent years as states have legalized the drug for recreational or medicinal use, according to a new report.

The finding, in a study released Thursday by the Governors Highway Safety Association, was one of several regarding the growing prevalence of drugs in vehicle fatalities. The report also found that 44 percent of drivers killed in automobile accidents in 2016 who were tested for drugs tested positive for one or more substances – a number that was up 28 percent from 10 years prior. That figure eclipsed the 37.9 percent who were known to have been tested for alcohol and tested positive – a figure that actually fell in the last decade, from 41 percent in 2006.

The report was intended to draw attention to the need to incorporate a drug message into programs that encourage motorists not to drive while impaired. It noted that marijuana was the most commonly found drug. Jim Hedlund, author of the study, says "marijuana use has become more normalized" as states across the country decriminalize the drug.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-c...s-than-alcohol
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,522
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,997x in 18,679 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, well, smart people already knew that would happen, but, as always, no one cared to listen.

Just what did they think would happen? Like alcohol, marijuana is a downer, so, all they've done is, added more impaired motorists to the roads to kill innocent people.... I really don't care if they kill themselves, but, that's usually not the case.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Common (06-01-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its going to get much worse
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Some 22.3 percent of fatally injured motorists who were tested for drugs tested positive for marijuana in 2016, a figure that researchers say has "increased substantially" in recent years as states have legalized the drug for recreational or medicinal use, according to a new report.

The finding, in a study released Thursday by the Governors Highway Safety Association, was one of several regarding the growing prevalence of drugs in vehicle fatalities. The report also found that 44 percent of drivers killed in automobile accidents in 2016 who were tested for drugs tested positive for one or more substances – a number that was up 28 percent from 10 years prior. That figure eclipsed the 37.9 percent who were known to have been tested for alcohol and tested positive – a figure that actually fell in the last decade, from 41 percent in 2006.

The report was intended to draw attention to the need to incorporate a drug message into programs that encourage motorists not to drive while impaired. It noted that marijuana was the most commonly found drug. Jim Hedlund, author of the study, says "marijuana use has become more normalized" as states across the country decriminalize the drug.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-c...s-than-alcohol
    You realize that marijuana can stay in a person's system for up to a month, right?
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    Yeah, well, smart people already knew that would happen, but, as always, no one cared to listen.

Just what did they think would happen? Like alcohol, marijuana is a downer, so, all they've done is, added more impaired motorists to the roads to kill innocent people.... I really don't care if they kill themselves, but, that's usually not the case.
    As usual, Common is using deceptive tactics to push his authoritarian agenda. You should be more careful when reading his pro-drug war propaganda. Just saying.

The fact is, a person can test positive for marijuana up to a month after having used it. So this proves absolutely nothing about whether or not these drivers were actually under the influence of marijuana at the time of their deaths. It also proves nothing about whether or not the rate of marijuana use has increased as a result of legalization.

But tell me something: What is the alternative to legalizing marijuana? The miserably failed status quo? The one where the government treats Americans like children by telling them what they're allowed to do with their own bodies? Aren't "conservatives" supposed to be about liberty?
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (06-01-2018)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    You realize that marijuana can stay in a person's system for up to a month, right?
    They dont test for just marijuana they test for amount also.

My two son in laws tell me weed is a HUGE problem on the road and theres many cross users that makes it much worse.

Weed + Phone=death
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,265x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and just what is alcohol? it is a drug. It is super sugar on steroids. Alcohol causes more violence and deaths than all of drug history. AND it is approved by the FDA.
    Pot should have never made any Fed Gov schedule A list. It is not addicting. It is not a dependency drug. It is a weed and is prolific all around the world. It span generations.
    Well, guess what, the FDA has approved CBD oils as a "medication" for relief of chronic arthritis, epilepsy, depression, IBS, and a whole host of other ailments.
    Let's take a peek at what is advertised on TV...this drug will "treat" these symptoms, but it has been known to kill people who use it. This drug causes cancer, that drug will damage your health, and the other drug has debilitating affects, worse than living with whatever you were being treated for. The government kills more people with drugs or over drugs, than does pot.
    It can be said, if you have a couple of beers after work everyday, you probably have a problem with alcohol. I reiterate one fact: I do not drink alcohol. I question the affects of any drug my doctor prescribes. But I don't ask my doctor, I press my the local pharmacist.
    Do not buy into big pharma's rhetoric. You are smarter than that.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (06-01-2018),Ethereal (06-01-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    They dont test for just marijuana they test for amount also.

My two son in laws tell me weed is a HUGE problem on the road and theres many cross users that makes it much worse.

Weed + Phone=death
    The article says nothing about the amount of THC that was in their system at the time of death. All it says is that they tested positive, which could mean they ingested THC one minute before they died or four weeks before they died.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sad. I do not drive.

I have Moderate Autism and a common sense not to risk myself and other drivers.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,987x in 55,610 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Probably not at the level that one would be ten minutes after smoking a bowl.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-01-2018)

+ Reply to Thread