User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: A Man Wrongly Convicted of Murder When He Was 14 Clears His Name After 27 Years

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 51,004, Level: 55
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,546
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class1 year registered
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    165237
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    12,820
    Points
    51,004
    Level
    55
    Thanks Given
    4,773
    Thanked 10,499x in 6,055 Posts
    Mentioned
    390 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb A Man Wrongly Convicted of Murder When He Was 14 Clears His Name After 27 Years

    Yet another reason not to have the death penalty....

    John Bunn was just 14 when he was jailed for the murder of an off-duty correction officer in Brooklyn. He was finally able to clear his name Tuesday, when a judge formally exonerated him after 27 years. He's 41 now. He wept as he hugged his attorneys in court. He approached the judge and held both of her hands and rested his head on the bench. "It has been 27 years, I've been fighting for my life and I've been fighting for my innocence," he said.ohn Bunn was just 14 when he was jailed for the murder of an off-duty correction officer in Brooklyn. He was finally able to clear his name Tuesday, when a judge formally exonerated him after 27 years. He's 41 now. He wept as he hugged his attorneys in court. He approached the judge and held both of her hands and rested his head on the bench. "It has been 27 years, I've been fighting for my life and I've been fighting for my innocence," he said.

    A Man Who Was Wrongly Convicted of Murder When He Was 14 Clears His Name After 27 Long Years
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

    Common (05-18-2018)

  3. #2
    Points: 97,720, Level: 76
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,230
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    283432
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    47,265
    Points
    97,720
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    33,902
    Thanked 14,793x in 11,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Yet another reason not to have the death penalty....
    Nope. That is not a reason.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

  4. #3
    Original Ranter
    Points: 474,365, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    415028
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    144,559
    Points
    474,365
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    83,222
    Thanked 66,002x in 45,076 Posts
    Mentioned
    2160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is. Too many innocent people get convicted.
    Alea iacta est

    Check out the blog.


  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    DGUtley (05-18-2018),spunkloaf (05-20-2018)

  6. #4
    Points: 22,442, Level: 36
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 708
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    spunkloaf's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    7997
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,436
    Points
    22,442
    Level
    36
    Thanks Given
    946
    Thanked 807x in 609 Posts
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Yes it is. Too many innocent people get convicted.

    Right on.
    Plus, it reinforces the idea that killing people solves problems and serves justice.
    Faith can move mountains, but don't forget to bring your shovel.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to spunkloaf For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (05-20-2018)

  8. #5
    Points: 97,720, Level: 76
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,230
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    283432
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    47,265
    Points
    97,720
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    33,902
    Thanked 14,793x in 11,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkloaf View Post
    Right on.
    Plus, it reinforces the idea that killing people solves problems and serves justice.
    Yes. Sometimes an execution solves problems and serves justice.

    Can we agree to keep state executions legal while choosing to have them be as rare as an abortion?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

  9. #6
    Points: 1,416, Level: 8
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Major Lambda's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    265
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    West - South West of Washington DC
    Posts
    386
    Points
    1,416
    Level
    8
    Thanks Given
    292
    Thanked 255x in 180 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Yes. Sometimes an execution solves problems and serves justice.


    https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocen...-death-penalty




    "Since 1989, 1,761 people have been exonerated based on new evidence of innocence."

    "The graphic also points out some of the most high-profile exonerated prisoners. Steven Avery, the subject of Netflix's "Making a Murderer," spent 18 years in prison on a wrongful sexual-assault conviction before being exonerated in 2003."


    http://www.businessinsider.com/numbe...graphic-2016-5




    "Researchers found that 149 people were cleared in 2015 for crimes they didn’t commit — more than any other year in history, according to a report published Wednesday by the National Registry of Exonerations, a project of the University of Michigan Law School. By comparison, 139 people were exonerated in 2014. The number has risen most years since 2005, when 61 people were cleared of crimes they didn’t commit. "


    "The men and women who were cleared last year had, on average, served 14.5 years in prison. Some had been on death row. Others were younger than 18 when they were convicted or had intellectual disabilities. All had been swept into a justice system that’s supposed to be based on the presumption of innocence, but failed."

    "About 40 percent of the 2015 exonerations involved official misconduct, a record. About 75 percent of the homicide exonerations involved misconduct."


    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00b033aaf3da9





    So, basically if you are charged with a crime, you best have a defense counsel that believes in you, and your case. Your defense counsel best be one heck of an investigator ; and have the integrity to work your case and be ferocious in your defense.






    Major Lambda
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

  10. #7
    Points: 97,720, Level: 76
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,230
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    283432
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    47,265
    Points
    97,720
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    33,902
    Thanked 14,793x in 11,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Lambda View Post
    https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocen...-death-penalty

    "Since 1989, 1,761 people have been exonerated based on new evidence of innocence."

    "The graphic also points out some of the most high-profile exonerated prisoners. Steven Avery, the subject of Netflix's "Making a Murderer," spent 18 years in prison on a wrongful sexual-assault conviction before being exonerated in 2003."


    http://www.businessinsider.com/numbe...graphic-2016-5




    "Researchers found that 149 people were cleared in 2015 for crimes they didn’t commit — more than any other year in history, according to a report published Wednesday by the National Registry of Exonerations, a project of the University of Michigan Law School. By comparison, 139 people were exonerated in 2014. The number has risen most years since 2005, when 61 people were cleared of crimes they didn’t commit. "


    "The men and women who were cleared last year had, on average, served 14.5 years in prison. Some had been on death row. Others were younger than 18 when they were convicted or had intellectual disabilities. All had been swept into a justice system that’s supposed to be based on the presumption of innocence, but failed."

    "About 40 percent of the 2015 exonerations involved official misconduct, a record. About 75 percent of the homicide exonerations involved misconduct."


    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00b033aaf3da9





    So, basically if you are charged with a crime, you best have a defense counsel that believes in you, and your case. Your defense counsel best be one heck of an investigator ; and have the integrity to work your case and be ferocious in your defense.

    Major Lambda
    The propaganda is awesome. Capital punishment should always have a high bar. Some people need to be killed by the state. If the police or prosecutors make things up let them share the fate of the accused.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

  11. #8
    Points: 97,720, Level: 76
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,230
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    283432
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    47,265
    Points
    97,720
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    33,902
    Thanked 14,793x in 11,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Yes it is. Too many innocent people get convicted.
    Nope. Some people need to be killed.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

  12. #9
    Original Ranter
    Points: 474,365, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    415028
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    144,559
    Points
    474,365
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    83,222
    Thanked 66,002x in 45,076 Posts
    Mentioned
    2160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Nope. Some people need to be killed.
    I agree. I never see a rule as absolute.

    In general I am against the death penalty.
    Alea iacta est

    Check out the blog.


  13. #10
    Points: 97,720, Level: 76
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,230
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    283432
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    47,265
    Points
    97,720
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    33,902
    Thanked 14,793x in 11,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I agree. I never see a rule as absolute.
    In general I am against the death penalty.
    Okay. I support it for coup attempts.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO