User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People who live in small towns and rural areas are happier than everyone else

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,594x in 94,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I would not be happy living in an urban environment. I need to have a garden and a yard to landscape and maintain. I have a green thumb and would feel restless all the time if I couldn't put that to use. I can always take a short boat ride to the city, go to a jazz club then take the boat back home.
    That is the direction that I am moving. I can retire from my civilian job in 7 years. I would like to move to a rural area- preferably in a state that does not tax military retirement. The urban environment is good for the young (assuming they have the means to be able to enjoy it).
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,994x in 55,615 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    That is the direction that I am moving. I can retire from my civilian job in 7 years. I would like to move to a rural area- preferably in a state that does not tax military retirement. The urban environment is good for the young (assuming they have the means to be able to enjoy it).

My state does not tax military retirement or income and upon retirement I got the usual 50% disability most infantrymen receive. However Washington state makes it up in other taxes, but being a vet with more than 40% disability exempts me from some of them.

If you live within the city limits of Seattle, they don't care who you are. They are going to tax the $#@! out of you.

I enjoy spending short periods of time in the city, but an occasional weekend is enough. I really only like going to Seattle when I take my boat and moor it in bell harbor marina downtown, so I have a place to crash after a Seahawks night game or a night at a jazz club.

When I resigned my commission with the sheriff's department I was about seven years short of receiving my full pension benefits. After all, it was my second career. I will draw about 50% of the full pension in another two years. My dad and brother used to rag on me all the time about staying with the department. They kept telling me "when you are on your death bed, you aren't going to say......I wish I would have worked a few more years".

I say retire as soon as possible unless you have a significant financial reason to keep working. I was with the sheriff's department 14 years, four years longer than I originally planned. I wish I would have stuck with my ten year plan.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 05-20-2018 at 04:27 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (05-20-2018),Peter1469 (05-20-2018)

+ Reply to Thread