Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    FDR's reason was power.

Your attitude is why you may never become wise. We can know a great deal more than your parents because we can see things never revealed to them.
    You still being an ass. The people who lived then said they were on the verge of armed rebellion. I don't give a damn about your fanciful "revelations." I was talking about the common man not a cabal. The common mas was desperate. Working 6-7 days a week; walking the track hoping to find even one lump of coal. Don'r try your bull$#@!. Those people where my family, sonny. Stick your half-assed theories. You don't know a damn thing about the Depression.

When a family is hungry and no money coming in it it is real not some term paper at Dumbass U.
    Last edited by Captdon; 06-20-2018 at 09:13 PM.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    So you argue by definition?

Who declared that the definition?
    The Greeks, I suppose.

But let's go with it. Rule of the people, implying all the people. But that's not possible. Think so, then explain how it's possible. Certainly not by vote for that will either result in a majority ruling over a minority or a stalemate tie.
    It's possible because the people are a defined people with a common identity and geography. And people with a common identity and geography will naturally coalescence into voluntary communities. Democracy is merely an attempt to put these preexisting, spontaneous orders into a more organized and formalized context. But the basic principle underlying genuine democracy is that of voluntary self-organization by a defined people who share a common identity and geography.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    I think you mean democratic republic. Purest democracy is anarchy, is it not? That is a problem, yes, at least in a civil society.

But we all know that, so I must have missed something ...
    There aren't degrees of democracy. Either the people rule or they do not. And when the people rule, there is government, but no state, which is basically the definition of anarchy. A democratic republic - at least, as understood by classical thinkers - is a form of government that attempts to put democracy into a larger scale political framework. Classical thinkers understood that genuine democracy was limited in its scale. Even anthropological theory has placed limitations on the number of humans that can coalescence into a functional social entity. So the question that needed answering was how to achieve some measure of cooperation between democracies who shared a limited set of interests and values. For the American founders, the answer was some form of federalism.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's incoherent, grammatically, and contextually, the context of your false claim that Koch in the video advocates a House of Lords--remember saying that? I suppose that's what happens when you make things up, you need to double down, get confused, and become incoherent.

Grammatically coherent but contextually incoherent. You challenged what has anarchy to do with the video and I responded both are about freedom. Koch is not an anarchist, he's a minarchist who advocates for freedom.

Take a deep breath next post, think, answer with some coherence.
    You know that the House of Lords was and is made up of estates - right?

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    The Greeks, I suppose.

It's possible because the people are a defined people with a common identity and geography. And people with a common identity and geography will naturally coalescence into voluntary communities. Democracy is merely an attempt to put these preexisting, spontaneous orders into a more organized and formalized context. But the basic principle underlying genuine democracy is that of voluntary self-organization by a defined people who share a common identity and geography.

The Greeks? That's changed over time and place. There is is set definition. There are many kinds of democracy. For the Greeks only some participated.

You haven't explained how democracy zis possible as a form of just or, to the topic, free government. Sure, people cooperate, but that rules wiothout rulers. How is it possible with rules, "a more organized and formalized context"?

Genuine? As in true Scotsman.

How is it possible the "a more organized and formalized context" is just and free?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    There aren't degrees of democracy. Either the people rule or they do not. And when the people rule, there is government, but no state, which is basically the definition of anarchy. A democratic republic - at least, as understood by classical thinkers - is a form of government that attempts to put democracy into a larger scale political framework. Classical thinkers understood that genuine democracy was limited in its scale. Even anthropological theory has placed limitations on the number of humans that can coalescence into a functional social entity. So the question that needed answering was how to achieve some measure of cooperation between democracies who shared a limited set of interests and values. For the American founders, the answer was some form of federalism.
    There are degrees in "a more organized and formalized context." And that differs from Lummy's point that "Purest democracy is anarchy, is it not?" Or your "And when the people rule, there is government, but no state, which is basically the definition of anarchy."
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    You know that the House of Lords was and is made up of estates - right?
    I think you're lost.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're lost.
    No, I think you're not paying attention to what I've been telling you from the beginning.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    No, I think you're not paying attention to what I've been telling you from the beginning.
    I'm not now.

Let me know when you want to address the message of the video....

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Greeks? That's changed over time and place. There is is set definition. There are many kinds of democracy. For the Greeks only some participated.

You haven't explained how democracy zis possible as a form of just or, to the topic, free government. Sure, people cooperate, but that rules wiothout rulers. How is it possible with rules, "a more organized and formalized context"?

Genuine? As in true Scotsman.

How is it possible the "a more organized and formalized context" is just and free?
    Have a nice day, Chris.
    --John Adams

+ Reply to Thread