Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same old TPF

Before I begin I truly don't expect anyone to care or take notice. That's just not what this place has become or is now about. I guess this thread is really just for me and expressing my opinion for good or bad.

I'm just dropping in real quick to say hi and give my opinion of this place after having been gone for awhile. The last thing I want is for this thread to become an insult fest. I have no intention of reengaging in the forum. This place is far different than when I first starting posting here.

I check in here every so often. Read a couple of threads...shake my head and move on to other news sites. I used to get my news from here as I abhor the mainstream news sites. I haven't joined any other forums and was never looking for an echo chamber. Fact of the matter is I and several other legacy forum members left because of the sheer frustration of trying to have a conversation on this site and having it devolve in personal insults and ad hominems.

Insults were a big deal. No shortage of those here. Accusations of racism, bigotry, white supremacy were a big problem for me. For some of the remaining members here it seems to be a go-to. Unregulated and even regarded as an acceptable retort to an argument. Sure there are some here that may deserve it but the vast majority don't.

Implications of being a lemming to whatever political party that happened to fit the bill was also an issue. It was a struggle to deal with some who called me a a Rethuglican and in the same thread have someone else call me a libtard. No, I'm not going to go research those threads and link them. Suffice it to say it took place and is still taking place.

It got to the point where I found myself partaking in the same behavior of those who were instigating and it made me feel ugly inside. Reporting these issues came to no fruition. I even kept a spreadsheet of my reports and the results they represented. The returns were inconsistent to say the least. I ended up apologizing for my behavior specifically naming those I was apologizing to however; I got no response from them. I wasn't apologizing to get a response but I think it would have been nice of them to acknowledge my apologies.

Trust me in that I was never looking for an echo chamber as some have suggested after my and others departure. Yes, I was keeping track. It was the nastiness and vitriol (which I ended up contributing to) that was the ultimate factor. The problem I still see is that it still continues. There is no honest debate taking place. It always just ends up resulting in insults and nastiness. The forum might call it "snark" but it is far from that.

At some point one has to feel good about taking part in a true and honest debate where different perspectives are expressing themselves in a healthy way. In fairness and like I've said I haven't joined nor have I found a place on the interwebs where that actually takes place. For awhile though this place had that. It had liberals, conservatives and everyone in between coming together to express their differences in a respectful manner. Knowing we may not change each others minds but also learning from each other and actually listening...not just hearing each others opinions.

Anyway I suppose that's all. I hope something good, respectful and meaningful comes of this thread. I'll stick around to answer any questions and respond to any retorts but I don't expect that to end up in me returning in any meaningful or long standing membership way.

I hope you're all well and healthy.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (05-23-2018),Just AnotherPerson (05-22-2018),KathyS (06-12-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,737x in 55,433 Posts
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Before I begin I truly don't expect anyone to care or take notice...

OK. I won't.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 3,123
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Before I begin I truly don't expect anyone to care or take notice. That's just not what this place has become or is now about. I guess this thread is really just for me and expressing my opinion for good or bad.

I'm just dropping in real quick to say hi and give my opinion of this place after having been gone for awhile. The last thing I want is for this thread to become an insult fest. I have no intention of reengaging in the forum. This place is far different than when I first starting posting here.

I check in here every so often. Read a couple of threads...shake my head and move on to other news sites. I used to get my news from here as I abhor the mainstream news sites. I haven't joined any other forums and was never looking for an echo chamber. Fact of the matter is I and several other legacy forum members left because of the sheer frustration of trying to have a conversation on this site and having it devolve in personal insults and ad hominems.

Insults were a big deal. No shortage of those here. Accusations of racism, bigotry, white supremacy were a big problem for me. For some of the remaining members here it seems to be a go-to. Unregulated and even regarded as an acceptable retort to an argument. Sure there are some here that may deserve it but the vast majority don't.

Implications of being a lemming to whatever political party that happened to fit the bill was also an issue. It was a struggle to deal with some who called me a a Rethuglican and in the same thread have someone else call me a libtard. No, I'm not going to go research those threads and link them. Suffice it to say it took place and is still taking place.

It got to the point where I found myself partaking in the same behavior of those who were instigating and it made me feel ugly inside. Reporting these issues came to no fruition. I even kept a spreadsheet of my reports and the results they represented. The returns were inconsistent to say the least. I ended up apologizing for my behavior specifically naming those I was apologizing to however; I got no response from them. I wasn't apologizing to get a response but I think it would have been nice of them to acknowledge my apologies.

Trust me in that I was never looking for an echo chamber as some have suggested after my and others departure. Yes, I was keeping track. It was the nastiness and vitriol (which I ended up contributing to) that was the ultimate factor. The problem I still see is that it still continues. There is no honest debate taking place. It always just ends up resulting in insults and nastiness. The forum might call it "snark" but it is far from that.

At some point one has to feel good about taking part in a true and honest debate where different perspectives are expressing themselves in a healthy way. In fairness and like I've said I haven't joined nor have I found a place on the interwebs where that actually takes place. For awhile though this place had that. It had liberals, conservatives and everyone in between coming together to express their differences in a respectful manner. Knowing we may not change each others minds but also learning from each other and actually listening...not just hearing each others opinions.

Anyway I suppose that's all. I hope something good, respectful and meaningful comes of this thread. I'll stick around to answer any questions and respond to any retorts but I don't expect that to end up in me returning in any meaningful or long standing membership way.

I hope you're all well and healthy.
    Good to hear from you again Private Pickle. I'm afraid that political polarization has had a deleterious effect on people.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

donttread (06-12-2018)

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,708x in 54,608 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How you doing, Pickle?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,098x in 27,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goofy.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,553x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know exactly what you mean. I really miss the old TPF I also left a year ago. But it used to be better. I loved that I could engage in conversation with others and get into heavy debates, and even though we would often disagree we would leave with respect for one another. It was rewarding to be able to express your views even if you didnt agree, and be able to walk away with mutual respect.

I returned after being gone for a long while and I tried to have normal conversations like before. But now the option is not there. The moment you say anything at all someone comes in and attacks, and you are drawn into rediculous pointless arguments. When this happens you never have the chance to even say anything meaningfull at all because you are shut down before you get the chance. It is a shame. This forum is really missing out on what it could be.

Because there are forceful people shutting people down that they dislike there is not enough diversity. There are only 111 members and who knows how many of them are even active members anymore.

But it is shameful that you can be drawn into arguments with others and it becomes personal. It is ugly and shameful that it has to end up that way. If someone attacks me I want to be able to defend myself. But I would prefer if no one attacked in the first place, and even if they disagreed with my opinions that we could act like adults and have meaningful debates and conversations.

Things have gotten strange on this forum. I am not sure if something is going on or if the political climate just made people go mad. I totaly understand what you are saying though. I just think it is a shame, and a shame on us too for not having the wilpower to not engage in people who try to destroy a thread and even destroy a person because they do not want them in the forum. Alot of people who are chased away have alot that they could contribute. But this forum will never know because people were not given the chance to express themselves.

I also hope that it changes for the better. I do not want to contribute any longer either if it is just going to be ugly. I have a lot to share but it is not somehting that this forum will allow. The forum cannot know your views and thoughts if the moment you try to speak your are coerced into an ugly argument that drags on for days. How can a person not feel like crap after such perpetual negativity. I normally do not engage in that type of behavior. I am a positive person who looks deeply into the world and tries to understand all points of view, but in this forum, it is halted before it can be expressed in the slightest. The slightest word that I try to say just ends in a several days insult fest. This is very low. I miss the debates that I had before. I hope that this one day becomes a place where it can take place again.

I see it very often, a person says something of value and instantly they are engaged by a barrage of insults and dragged down into an argument. Just trying to defend themselves and the original thing they had to say is lost forever. Once engaged into the ugliness they cannot recover from where they began.
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 05-22-2018 at 01:38 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-22-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. I really miss the old TPF I also left a year ago. But it used to be better. I loved that I could engage in conversation with others and get into heavy debates, and even though we would often disagree we would leave with respect for one another. It was rewarding to be able to express your views even if you didnt agree, and be able to walk away with mutual respect.

I returned after being gone for a long while and I tried to have normal conversations like before. But now the option is not there. The moment you say anything at all someone comes in and attacks, and you are drawn into rediculous pointless arguments. When this happens you never have the chance to even say anything meaningfull at all because you are shut down before you get the chance. It is a shame. This forum is really missing out on what it could be.

Because there are forceful people shutting people down that they dislike there is not enough diversity. There are only 111 members and who knows how many of them are even active members anymore.

But it is shameful that you can be drawn into arguments with others and it becomes personal. It is ugly and shameful that it has to end up that way. If someone attacks me I want to be able to defend myself. But I would prefer if no one attacked in the first place, and even if they disagreed with my opinions that we could act like adults and have meaningful debates and conversations.

Things have gotten strange on this forum. I am not sure if something is going on or if the political climate just made people go mad. I totaly understand what you are saying though. I just think it is a shame, and a shame on us too for not having the wilpower to not engage in people who try to destroy a thread and even destroy a person because they do not want them in the forum. Alot of people who are chased away have alot that they could contribute. But this forum will never know because people were not given the chance to express themselves.

I also hope that it changes for the better. I do not want to contribute any longer either if it is just going to be ugly. I have a lot to share but it is not somehting that this forum will allow. The forum cannot know your views and thoughts if the moment you try to speak your are coerced into an ugly argument that drags on for days. How can a person not feel like crap after such perpetual negativity. I normally do not engage in that type of behavior. I am a positive person who looks deeply into the world and tries to understand all points of view, but in this forum, it is halted before it can be expressed in the slightest. The slightest word that I try to say just ends in a several days insult fest. This is very low. I miss the debates that I had before. I hope that this one day becomes a place where it can take place again.

I see it very often, a person says something of value and instantly they are engaged by a barrage of insults and dragged down into an argument. Just trying to defend themselves and the original thing they had to say is lost forever. Once engaged into the ugliness they cannot recover from where they began.
    Your observations are pretty much spot-on; this place isn't what it was last year however I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. Many of those guilty of helping to hurt this forum have either left, been banned or post rarely; the forum should rebound over time.

I believe that the mods are very well aware of the bitter infighting among both left and right posters and the detraction's that it causes and I'm confident that they are most likely working on a game plan. In the mean time I'd suggest that if people who are pushing negativity come after you, you simply do not respond to them and let them eat dust. Either put them on your ignore list or just do not respond to their posts. Eventually, either they get the message and go away or end up getting massed ignored or even banned.

I think it'll take some time and patience to get us back to where we used to be in here; minus all the bickering, infighting and insulting where like you say, people can discuss the issue civilly without attacking each other.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-23-2018),KathyS (06-12-2018)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,299x in 4,606 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disagreements are good for a site. No one wants to attend a site where everyone thinks alike. No more than a person want's to say visit a flee market that every booth sells the exact same thing. What is the purpose in going. No one also want's to hear the score of a game one week later, they want to be part of the action. It's up to the members to find out what is going on now not two hours later or a week after and find live feeds and make people feel they are part. But over time they end up like the flee markets no one wants to drive to if they don't. All need to contribute not one or a few. That will attract new members.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Pickle, hope all is well with you.

I think some of the more productive posters gave up after the election. Some of the attack dogs got banned. One ban was a mistake imo. It seems as if the threads that get the most response are those that either praise or demonize Trump. Threads that discuss interesting news topics, or scientific advances, or history uselessly get 0-10 responses.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Chris (05-22-2018),Common (05-22-2018),spunkloaf (05-22-2018)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see Pickle and Capt. Obvious return to contributing. Miss them both.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

KathyS (06-12-2018),MisterVeritis (05-22-2018),Peter1469 (05-22-2018)

+ Reply to Thread