Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,527x in 94,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite guns of cops and gangsters

Favorite guns of cops and gangsters. Here are two articles from today's RealClearHistory:

1. 10 favorite guns of the cops

Last year, on May 23, 2014, we ran a list of 10 Favorite Guns of The Gangsters. This year, we offer the counterpart, and list some of the most popular weapons of Law Enforcement officials. A few decades ago, the list would have prominently featured revolvers such as the S&W Model 10 and the S&W Model 36, but time and fashion have changed things a bit. Most police agencies frown on rimfire calibers as less reliable than center fire, and calibers less than .32 ACP are just too anemic for anything other than last ditch panic weapons. Usually, police weapons are those of .38 caliber or more, such as .380 ACP, 9mm, or .38 Special and up. Feel free to list some of your favorite “cop” guns.
    2. 10 favorite guns of the gangsters

On May 23, 1934, bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde were gunned down by law enforcement. For a change, the lawmen had the upper hand as far as firepower goes. In the 1920’s and 1930’s gangsters had been arming themselves with automatic and semi-automatic weapons and out-gunning the police, with the police mostly armed with .38 caliber revolvers and sometimes 12 gauge pump action shotguns. On numerous occasions then and even in the 1970’s and 1980’s the police were woefully under-armed, but that is changing now. Here is a list of some of the favorite gangster guns of the 1920’s and 1930’s (and by gangsters, we mean hard corps criminals, not the junkie holding up a liquor store).
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like having a most NOT favorite gun for gangsters. the mystery persists gangsters. lol
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,377x in 15,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most widely issued law enforcement handgun in the United States is the Glock 22. The most widely issued law enforcement handgun in the world is the Glock 17.

Shotguns, although without question the most devastating and versatile weapon in the police arsenal, are falling out of favor because, to be honest, cops don't like to train with them. They are rapidly being replaced with the AR15 in the US. Officers, regardless of size or gender can handle an AR. They are easier to train with and don't beat them up. I personally think both have their role. I have been a long time advocate of the 20 gauge for smaller statured officers. A 20 gauge loaded with #3 buckshot is just as devastating at normal engagement ranges as a 12 gauge.

In Europe, submachineguns are much more common in law enforcement than either rifles or shotguns. The HK MP5 remains the mainstay of many agencies, even though the design is now over 50 years old. IN the US, subguns are generally only seen in the hands of specialty teams (SWAT). They never really caught on here the way they did in other countries.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-24-2018),Peter1469 (05-24-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    I like having a most NOT favorite gun for gangsters. the mystery persists gangsters. lol
    Except for a couple- the BAR and the Thompson, the others were under powered and dated for the gangsters' hey-day. But they were concealable.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    The most widely issued law enforcement handgun in the United States is the Glock 22. The most widely issued law enforcement handgun in the world is the Glock 17.

Shotguns, although without question the most devastating and versatile weapon in the police arsenal, are falling out of favor because, to be honest, cops don't like to train with them. They are rapidly being replaced with the AR15 in the US. Officers, regardless of size or gender can handle an AR. They are easier to train with and don't beat them up. I personally think both have their role. I have been a long time advocate of the 20 gauge for smaller statured officers. A 20 gauge loaded with #3 buckshot is just as devastating at normal engagement ranges as a 12 gauge.

In Europe, submachineguns are much more common in law enforcement than either rifles or shotguns. The HK MP5 remains the mainstay of many agencies, even though the design is now over 50 years old. IN the US, subguns are generally only seen in the hands of specialty teams (SWAT). They never really caught on here the way they did in other countries.
    I never did get to shoot the subguns. I believe some tankers had them. Not infantry.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread