Thanked 29,263x in 20,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Op ed: A President Clinton would have made things much worse

Op ed: A President Clinton would have made things much worse
    By Michael Goodwin

To put the roller-coaster presidency of Donald Trump in perspective, it helps on occasion to imagine that Hillary Clinton won the election. My experience is that the exercise leads to greater appreciation of the president we have, warts and all.
    Start with Clinton herself. She has spent the last 18 months in a perpetual snit. “No, I’m not over it,” she confessed while turning Yale’s commencement into a self-pity party.
    Anyone who has dealt with her knows the “I’m a victim” schtick didn’t start with November of 2016, and would not have ended if she won. She’s been a blamer and finger-pointer her entire public life and would have taken her woe-is-me attitude to the Oval Office.
    Coupled with her breathtaking sense of entitlement, it is hard to see her presidency lifting the nation’s self-confidence, at home or abroad.
    In economic terms, how much higher would unemployment be? How about the stock market and median family incomes — how much lower would they be?
    Remember, Clinton promised — promised! — to put coal miners out of work. That’s a promise she probably would have kept.
    She wanted to raise taxes instead of cutting them and loosen already lax immigration policies instead of tightening them.
    She was part of President Obama’s team that tried to force Israel to make concessions its leaders believed were dangerous to the Jewish state’s security. It’s a cinch the US embassy still would be in Tel Aviv instead of Jerusalem and Palestinians would have kept a veto over our policy.
    The Iran deal would be unmolested by a Clinton presidency, leaving the mullahs free to be ever more aggressive in their pursuit of regional power.
    It’s true a President Clinton would be more popular in Western Europe than Trump is, but that’s because there would be no America First agenda. Allowing Europe to call the global shots would make appeasement the default position.
    Then there are the aggressions of China and North Korea. Breathes there a soul who believes Clinton would have pushed back harder than Trump?
    Of course, Stormy Daniels wouldn’t be famous, but perhaps Clinton’s friend and donor Harvey Weinstein would still be on the prowl and the #MeToo movement would not exist.
    Among other consequences, consider the extraordinary political and legal aftermath of the election, ranging from the resistance to Robert Mueller’s investigation to the emerging evidence that the FBI and CIA conspired to spy on the Trump campaign.
    My first impulse is to assume Clinton would have fired FBI boss James Comey faster than Trump did. Then I wonder because of what Comey had on her.
    It’s not just that he let her skip on having classified emails on her homebrew server. There were also the aborted FBI probes into the pay-to-play evidence involving the Clinton Foundation and Bill Clinton’s enormous speaking fees while Hillary was Secretary of State. Somewhere, Comey surely has a secret file on Clinton’s legal and political vulnerabilities.
    Suppose then, in true J. Edgar Hoover fashion, Comey signaled he would spill the beans if he lost his job. It’s legal blackmail, and it’s possible that’s what Comey tried to do with Trump by telling him about the Russian dossier — using unverified allegations as personal leverage.
    A victorious Clinton would have remained furious at Comey for re-opening the email investigation in October. But, having realized her dream of sitting in the Oval Office, her anger could have been reduced to a footnote and she might have decided she was best served by letting Comey keep his job — and his secrets.
    Of all the possible scenarios, there is one about which we can be certain: a Clinton victory would have kept the public from learning about the Obama administration’s extensive abuse of its powers to help her.
    Her victory would mean Stefan Halper, Carter Page and George Papadopoulos would remain anonymous private citizens, and key players involved in the scheme would still have their reputations intact.
    Loretta Lynch, for helping to minimize the various probes, might be Clinton’s Attorney General. John Brennan, James Clapper, Susan Rice and Samantha Power might have important government jobs instead of having to fight to keep their dirty tricks buried.
    Mueller would be in private law practice, the highlight of his bio being that he was the longest-serving FBI director since Hoover. Instead, his legacy is now tied to his drawn-out investigation of the president that is falling out of public favor.
    As for Trump, a Clinton victory would have been devastating, but he probably would have started a new media company and created his own form of a resistance. Given his Midas touch, a loss could have been the most profitable deal of his life.
    But fate and voters had other ideas, and the truly remarkable fact is that Trump’s stunning Electoral College victory came despite the alliance of the White House, law enforcement, the intelligence agencies and the media against him.
    In coming days, we will learn more about that squalid alliance, giving us more reason to marvel at the resiliency of our republic. And even when it looks as if Trump is running off the rails, consider the alternative and remember this: It could have been worse. Much worse.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/26/a-pres...gs-much-worse/

yep, it could have been much, much, worse
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Mrs Hillary Rodham Rodham's untimely political demise is just soooooo sad.

Yes, I'm lonely
    Want to die
    Yes, I'm lonely
    Want to die
    If I ain't dead already
    Oh, deplorable, you know the reason why

In the morning
    Want to die
    In the evening
    Want to die
    If I ain't dead already

My mother was of the sky
    My father was of the earth
    But I am of the universe
    And you know what it's worth

I'm lonely
    Want to die
    If I ain't dead already

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (05-27-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would have been bad no matter who was president. The only person who would have been worse than Trump is Pence. You will see in a few years time Trump has done nothing for you. He is working on behalf of the corporations. You may not be able to see into what is really happening but at some point in the future you will. It is normally like that. For some reason all the people who feel like they were not being heard as hardcore right wing republicans, feel vindicated that they have a republican again. They don't even care what kind of person that is. It is really strange behavior.

The democrat and republican label is just an illusion. What we should be considering for a president, is what kind of human being he is not what labels he has. Who cares what side he is on, as long as he is a decent human being. Also to accept all monstrous deeds from that person without reservation because you love the way that person does business is also not normal behavior.

We all lose.

Your business transaction is strange...…
    It is our asses being transacted!
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 05-27-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,054
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, freeing all of those prisoners from foreign prisons, job increase that hasn't been seen in over forty years. giving you more of a paycheck, are to totally ignored based on your opinion, which is not based in fact or else you would have listed those proofs of your opinion. Gotcha..
    Allow me to repeat a question no liberal has answered, yet.........
    just what is it he took from you? What has he done to create more economic strain on you and your family? What Rights has he deprived of you and yours?
    the more I listen to the left rant, the more I'm convinced you guys just want to whine................and about nothing.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-27-2018),countryboy (05-28-2018),nathanbforrest45 (05-27-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me ask YOU.......why do you keep saying I am a liberal or a leftist when I say I dont believe in that. You are telling me what I am not asking.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Let me ask YOU.......why do you keep saying I am a liberal or a leftist when I say I dont believe in that. You are telling me what I am not asking.
    So why attack Trump? You keep attacking him like he was sh!t beneath your feet.............

one more thing: I've been telling these alert and aware liberals in here that they don't want Pence in office.....the mere thought of that sends shivers down my spine. He used to be my governor..............lulz
    Last edited by stjames1_53; 05-27-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    - Thucydides

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-27-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will tell you a few things that he has taken from you. He has made it so that he can plunder and mine even in national parks everywhere except off his own shore in Florida. In the near future your national parks will be destroyed, there will be disasters like oil spills wild life destruction and your children and children's children will not get to see the same earth that we had to enjoy. Here is one link https://www.quora.com/Is-Trump-talki...national-parks.

He is going to sell your land to pay the national debt.....for reals? Think about what this really means, wake up. http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/donald-tr...-national-debt

Trump is giving up US businesses to foreign interests to make deals, YOUR oil now belongs to Saudi Arabia http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/01/inve...hur/index.html

Another thing that he has done is bring out of the closet so many racists, and that is harmful for everyone. We are experiencing the effects of that now.

Another thing he has done is get rid of your rights to privacy. He has repealed net neutrality http://time.com/4724128/donald-trump...owser-history/

Violence and confusion have become the norm since Trump was elected, our nation is already no longer the nation it was before his election https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnash...2R#.orP55Lm18P

The things he has done to you now are in the form of cause and what will become of them in the future will be the effect. We are already experiencing many of the effects but the worst is yet to come. These are just a few of the things. I don't really have the time to delve into it deeply right now but even just this should be enough.

You are being sold out.
    You think just because he is selling out your nation to the highest bidder that it is increasing jobs and you think it is a good thing. Think again.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

RadioGod (05-27-2018),silvereyes (06-15-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    So why attack Trump? You keep attacking him like he was sh!t beneath your feet.............

one more thing: I've been telling these alert and aware liberals in here that they don't want Pence in office.....the mere thought of that sends shivers down my spine. He used to be my governor..............lulz
    I appreciate what you said about Pence
    But the part about Trump it is because he is crap. So is Hillary. I would rather have you for a president than both of them combined.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (05-27-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will tell you a few things that he has taken from you. He has made it so that he can plunder and mine even in national parks everywhere except off his own shore in Florida. In the near future your national parks will be destroyed, there will be disasters like oil spills wild life destruction and your children and children's children will not get to see the same earth that we had to enjoy. Here is one link https://www.quora.com/Is-Trump-talki...national-parks.

He is going to sell your land to pay the national debt.....for reals? Think about what this really means, wake up. http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/donald-tr...-national-debt

Trump is giving up US businesses to foreign interests to make deals, YOUR oil now belongs to Saudi Arabia http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/01/inve...hur/index.html

Another thing that he has done is bring out of the closet so many racists, and that is harmful for everyone. We are experiencing the effects of that now.

Another thing he has done is get rid of your rights to privacy. He has repealed net neutrality http://time.com/4724128/donald-trump...owser-history/

Violence and confusion have become the norm since Trump was elected, our nation is already no longer the nation it was before his election https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnash...2R#.orP55Lm18P

The things he has done to you now are in the form of cause and what will become of them in the future will be the effect. We are already experiencing many of the effects but the worst is yet to come. These are just a few of the things. I don't really have the time to delve into it deeply right now but even just this should be enough.

You are being sold out.
    You think just because he is selling out your nation to the highest bidder that it is increasing jobs and you think it is a good thing. Think again.
    He has sold nothing to no one. He has sold out no one. So, a decrease in jobs is good. More money in your pocket is bad. Clinton had her hand in the biggest sell-out since Judas. Recall the mortgage lending thing that was started on Bill's watch, carried on by Bush. Now you damned sure know that Hillary had his full support. but at the end of the day, I could trust Trump more than I could Hillary. I think he's doing the job he said he would. but a little secret, I don't trust anyone that promises me the moon, I just watch what he does.
    Would you rather have some mealy-mouth that does everything he's told to do? That guys is even more corruptible than Trump. And Hilly's absolutely nuts.
    Naw, I'll take my Trump appointed SCOTUS judges over someone who has professed a deep hatred for the 1st and 2nd A............AND calls me, her would-be employer, deplorable.
    - Thucydides

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

KathyS (05-28-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate what you said about Pence
    But the part about Trump it is because he is crap. So is Hillary. I would rather have you for a president than both of them combined.
    I haven't read The Art of the Deal or Why I Lost.................I damned sure ain't qualified
    - Thucydides

17. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-27-2018)

+ Reply to Thread