User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois is the 37th state to ratify ERA

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,641x in 25,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Illinois is the 37th state to ratify ERA

llinois lawmakers approved the Equal Rights Amendment on Wednesday, despite a 1982 deadline for ratification. Is it too late to pass the Equal Rights Amendment? Illinois is the 37th state to ratify it, one short. At Kent State, I marched for the ERA. I believed strongly then that we needed it. I'm not so sure now b/c of all of the federal laws and decisions protecting equal rights. Is it too late to pass it? Do we need it?

Attachment 23615

Is it too late to pass the Equal Rights Amendment? Illinois is the 37th state to ratify it
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-01-2018),IMPress Polly (06-01-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we ignore every other rule that may thwart left wing policy so why not this one?

We don't need it. What are women forbidden to do today that the ERA would correct?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (06-01-2018),Don (06-04-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    llinois lawmakers approved the Equal Rights Amendment on Wednesday, despite a 1982 deadline for ratification. Is it too late to pass the Equal Rights Amendment? Illinois is the 37th state to ratify it, one short. At Kent State, I marched for the ERA. I believed strongly then that we needed it. I'm not so sure now b/c of all of the federal laws and decisions protecting equal rights. Is it too late to pass it? Do we need it?

Attachment 23615

Is it too late to pass the Equal Rights Amendment? Illinois is the 37th state to ratify it
    Probably a good idea to pass it, therefore it'll be etched in stone. While there are laws today that protect both sexes, they can easily be changed or repealed. This way it'll be a constitutional issue and will apply equally among the 50 states. Either way I cannot see the passage of it reflecting discredit nor being detrimental to the country.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (06-01-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    Probably a good idea to pass it, therefore it'll be etched in stone. While there are laws today that protect both sexes, they can easily be changed or repealed. This way it'll be a constitutional issue and will apply equally among the 50 states. Either way I cannot see the passage of it reflecting discredit nor being detrimental to the country.
    I see it as just another way leftist can twist the Constitution to make it mean whatever they want it to mean.

Here is the Text of the Equal Rights Amendment

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
    Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
    Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

What exactly does this mean? What "rights" are to be protected? I predict that as a result of this amendment new "rights" will be fabricated out of whole cloth. What Constitutional mandated rights are not protected for women now?

Its unnecessary and since it has pasted its statue of limitations 36 years ago it would be illegal to pass.

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,393x in 27,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
    Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
    Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post

Attachment 23615

While many of the laws that the ERA would have struck down in one fell swoop have been eliminated since the ERA ratification movement of the '70s/early '80s, ratification would still have a positive impact. One can tell by the impact that state-level versions of the ERA have had!

Formally it's too late, but honestly I think that, like with the 1978 extension of the ratification deadline, the public today may be in a mood to bend the rules on legal deadlines again if the requisite number of states actually do belatedly ratify it now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (06-01-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    I see it as just another way leftist can twist the Constitution to make it mean whatever they want it to mean.

Here is the Text of the Equal Rights Amendment

What exactly does this mean? What "rights" are to be protected? I predict that as a result of this amendment new "rights" will be fabricated out of whole cloth. What Constitutional mandated rights are not protected for women now?

Its unnecessary and since it has pasted its statue of limitations 36 years ago it would be illegal to pass.
    Laws and statues can be changed very easily on a state by state basis. If a state decided that they wanted to change a law that would afford women less protection under the law and it was successfully changed, right now, under the constitution it would be legal for them to do that.

An amendment ensures that it is constitutionally protected and is applied equally among the states.

If another state ratifies the amendment and it is determined that it is legal, my next question to you is:

By passage of the amendment, will it reflect discredit or be detrimental to the country? I don't think so, your merely re-affirming what the country already has, just now it'll be "engraved in stone", so I don't see any issue with it's passage.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (06-01-2018),IMPress Polly (06-01-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,641x in 25,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    While many of the laws that the ERA would have struck down in one fell swoop have been eliminated since the ERA ratification movement of the '70s/early '80s, ratification would still have a positive impact. One can tell by the impact that state-level versions of the ERA have had! Formally it's too late, but honestly I think that, like with the 1978 extension of the ratification deadline, the public today may be in a mood to bend the rules on legal deadlines again if the requisite number of states actually do belatedly ratify it now.
    I could be talked into the ERA, but I can't be talked into a "bend the rules" situation on the Constitution. We don't bend the rules. It's the sidelines. IF we want the ERA (and maybe we do), let's go through the hoops.
    Last edited by DGUtley; 06-01-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-01-2018)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that would be a great step in ending Discrimination Against Men:

-- Men are discriminated in Divorce
    -- Male victims of Domestic Violence are more likely to be arrested then get help
    -- Male offenders are more likely to be convicted on less evidence then female offenders, once convicted they get 63% longer sentences for the same crime
    -- Men accused of many crimes are presumed guilty
    -- Anyone who discusses these issues offline is fired/blacklisted

``In October 2008, the National Coalition For Men won a landmark appellate case in California that held it is unconstitutional to exclude male victims of domestic violence from the statutory funding provisions or from state-funded services." Here.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CCitizen For This Useful Post:

Don (06-04-2018)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post

Section 1.
    Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

I hope it is passed!

+ Reply to Thread