User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Japan try to surrendur before we dropped the atomic bomb?

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,553x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Japan try to surrendur before we dropped the atomic bomb?

There is the possibility that Japan tried to surrender before we dropped the atomic bomb on them. If this is true it is important to our history and how we view those who we trust to lead us. It matters in how we view our history. Because it is who we are and where we come from and what we are made of.

I do not know the whole truth and will not pretend to, however I would like to know as much as I can about the truth. When I find information I do not do it in the hopes that I will win an argument and enhance my ego. I want to know the truth just for the sake of truth and knowledge. I want to know things as they are.

We can only do this based on what information that we have available to us and from there we must make our best guess based on all that we know. There is so much information that is kept from us, it makes it like trying to search for the truth with a blindfold on. But if we can find crumbs perhaps we can find the answers that are the closest to the truth.

I will include the links that I and others have found so that you can sift through the information and based on what you learn and research make your own conclusion as to what history and truth that you would like to believe.

https://www.quora.com/Did-Japan-real...d-on-Hiroshima

https://www.thenation.com/article/wh...bed-hiroshima/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-ef1b6cb6530d/

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...nap-story.html

http://time.com/4346336/atomic-bombs-1945-history/

http://www.atomicheritage.org/key-do...rning-leaflets

An audio link https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03978m6

Here is a Wikipedia link with a comment by Fleet Admiral William D Leahy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_D._Leahy

"Once it had been tested, President Truman faced the decision as to whether to use it. He did not like the idea, but he was persuaded that it would shorten the war against Japan and save American lives. It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons... My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make wars in that fashion, and that wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."
    [6]

7/18/45 Diary Entry:"P.M. [Prime Minister Winston Churchill] & I ate alone. Discussed Manhattan [atomic bomb] (it is a success). Decided to tell Stalin about it. Stalin had told P.M. of telegram from Jap Emperor asking for peace. Stalin also read his answer to me. It was satisfactory. Believe Japs will fold up before Russia comes in. I am sure they will when Manhattan appears over their homeland. I shall inform Stalin about it at an opportune time." [The closest Truman came to doing that was on 7/24/45 when "I casually mentioned to Stalin that we had a new weapon of unusual destructive force." (Harry Truman, "Memoirs, 1945", pg. 416). No mention was made by Truman that the weapon was an atomic bomb.]
    http://www.doug-long.com/hst.htm

the link above was provided by RadioGod

A playlist of 6 videos

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-04-2018),RadioGod (06-04-2018)

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RadioGod's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit, I thought for years that we just used the bombs on Japan without warning civilians or the Japanese government first. It seems we actually dropped leaflets for a couple weeks in advance on several cities we thought were potential targets. They also did radio broadcast warnings every 15 minutes. Those citations actually made me realize there was some element in our government who was trying to prevent unnecessary civilian casualties.
    I still stand by my comments that we dropped the bombs for both deterrence and scientific research. The deterrence was different than I thought, though. It was possibly as much a statement to Stalin as it was to Japan. The deterrence was multi-faceted. The scientific research was obvious. The after effects of the bombings were carefully studied, probably from every angle they could think of. Why? No doubt because they knew they probably wouldn't be detonating any more on a live population any time soon.
    All in all, this is yet another event in our nation's history where we should feel betrayed by our leaders, and ashamed as human beings.
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioGod For This Useful Post:

donttread (06-05-2018),Just AnotherPerson (06-04-2018)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,824x in 10,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bull$#@!.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (06-04-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Bull$#@!.
    That was easy of you. Of course, you can believe whatever you want. JAP laid out links. Some of them were for one opinion, that the bomb was dropped unecessarily, and some supported the bomb. But the basic underlying facts are that is was not needed to win the war. After incessantly calling these kinds of comments bullsh*t and telling people to provide evidence, JAP did. From both perspectives. If you think that is wrong, tell us why. Or don't, as usual.
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,907x in 18,637 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They drew first blood, whatever we did to them after that, was justified.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we primarily used the bombs to let the world know we are top dog. Particularly to the Soviets.

I doubt there was a serious unconditional surrender offer from the Japanese. Although I have long said it is suspect that the US basically agreed with the only condition the Japanese asked for- regarding their emperor.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (06-04-2018),RadioGod (06-04-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    They drew first blood, whatever we did to them after that, was justified.
    That is how we like to rationalize it. But the truth is that the Japanese military and their government were doing this, not the civilians. The civilians were being good, patriotic citizens, like any of us would do in our respective countries. They worked in the factories making military items, just like our people did. If the roles would have been different, as they almost were, and Germany would have got the bomb first and used it on us, modern Germans would be saying the same thing you just did.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioGod For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (06-04-2018),pjohns (06-04-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't surprise me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (06-04-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,553x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the fleet admiral lamented this terrible act. Us wanting to outpace Germany, and prove our might, or testing the weapon on a human population does not justify what we did. If you read through the articles you will see many facts cited when you see a fact cited you just search that specific fact to make sure it is true. I did this and was very saddened by what I did find. Even Truman in his diaries admitted that Japan tried to surrender and spoke of bolstering to Germany. It's all documented. History lamented the dropping of the bomb because they seen the terrible things it did.

People of today have forgotten history and do not know what happened so they are all full of American pride and patriotism and brag about it thinking we are almighty. But history was ashamed of what they did. The people of history did not see it the way we do, because they knew the reality of it. We have just evolved a false idea of what really happened and sense of power from it. But we don't get power from melting children. It's just not right.

I made sure to be fair and list all sides of the story in the links. It's a real eye opener.

I am not making any of this up it's all documented historical facts which you can look up but you are free to decide what you believe.
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 06-04-2018 at 09:58 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-04-2018),pjohns (06-04-2018)

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,907x in 18,637 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioGod View Post
    That is how we like to rationalize it. But the truth is that the Japanese military and their government were doing this, not the civilians. The civilians were being good, patriotic citizens, like any of us would do in our respective countries. They worked in the factories making military items, just like our people did. If the roles would have been different, as they almost were, and Germany would have got the bomb first and used it on us, modern Germans would be saying the same thing you just did.
    So we're many of the people killed at Pearl Harbor, good, patriotic civilians, but, the Japanese didn't care.

We did what we were supposed to do, after being attacked, we retaliated.

+ Reply to Thread