User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody know what happens to my VA loan after I die?

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Ann Fann's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 62 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody know what happens to my VA loan after I die?

I am married and have a VA guaranteed mortgage on my house. Recently I was told that if I die my wife has to refinance with a conventional loan. I had always thought she would simply continue making the payments and everything would be okay.

Does anybody know anything about this? As I remember, she is co-owner of the home but not a co-signer on the loan.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ann Fann For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-05-2018)

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,069
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319x in 2,953 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Fann View Post
    I am married and have a VA guaranteed mortgage on my house. Recently I was told that if I die my wife has to refinance with a conventional loan. I had always thought she would simply continue making the payments and everything would be okay.

Does anybody know anything about this? As I remember, she is co-owner of the home but not a co-signer on the loan.
    A surviving wife can continue with her husbands loan! https://www.military.com/money/va-lo...g-spouses.html
    Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I digress....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AZ Jim For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-05-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,380x in 94,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe it will have to be refinanced in her name, but the VA offers the refinancing options. See here. Also go to the VA website and ask the question in your subject line of the FAQs search feature. She is also free to go to any lender she wants, some banks have VA like loans which can be better than the VA.

Since she is a co-owner she should be able to refinance ASAP once you pass. Just don't miss payments or you risk foreclosure. Does she have an income stream of her own? Do you have life insurance (which will be paid out to the beneficiary quickly once they get a copy of the death certificate)? Are your bank accounts also in her name or she she a beneficiary upon death? Do you have a will or a living trust?

Just insure she has enough cash up front after you are gone. Try to avoid probate if possible. That take a long time. Hiring a lawyer to handle probate costs about the same or a bit more than getting a revocable living trust and paying for it now- and with the trust there is no probate, so your estate passes much faster.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Ann Fann's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 62 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    A surviving wife can continue with her husbands loan! https://www.military.com/money/va-lo...g-spouses.html
    I read that, that one sounds like veterans widows who want to take out their own VA loan in the event of an active duty veteran's death.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    Based on the article there are strict requirements.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-05-2018)

Achievements:
    Ann Fann's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 62 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I believe it will have to be refinanced in her name, but the VA offers the refinancing options. See here. Also go to the VA website and ask the question in your subject line of the FAQs search feature. She is also free to go to any lender she wants, some banks have VA like loans which can be better than the VA.

Since she is a co-owner she should be able to refinance ASAP once you pass. Just don't miss payments or you risk foreclosure. Does she have an income stream of her own? Do you have life insurance (which will be paid out to the beneficiary quickly once they get a copy of the death certificate)? Are your bank accounts also in her name or she she a beneficiary upon death? Do you have a will or a living trust?

Just insure she has enough cash up front after you are gone. Try to avoid probate if possible. That take a long time. Hiring a lawyer to handle probate costs about the same or a bit more than getting a revocable living trust and paying for it now- and with the trust there is no probate, so your estate passes much faster.
    I got this answer from a friend who used to be in the banking business, I was hoping it would be different. Being as how my wife is on SS (plus she would have my SS) refinancing on her own might be problematic. I was thinking that I should refinance with a conventional loan ASAP adding her name to the mortgage. My will is pretty straightforward, she gets everything, including savings, 401K, and insurance.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this answer from a friend who used to be in the banking business, I was hoping it would be different. Being as how my wife is on SS (plus she would have my SS) refinancing on her own might be problematic. I was thinking that I should refinance with a conventional loan ASAP adding her name to the mortgage. My will is pretty straightforward, she gets everything, including savings, 401K, and insurance.
    In that case you need to talk to a lawyer who specializes in estate law and specifically with people who are on SS, Medicaid, SSI, etc. There are ways to maintain your benefits you just got to pay to get the correct paper work done.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Ann Fann's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 62 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    In that case you need to talk to a lawyer who specializes in estate law and specifically with people who are on SS, Medicaid, SSI, etc. There are ways to maintain your benefits you just got to pay to get the correct paper work done.
    Good idea, thanks. I'm not planning to check out anytime soon but I would like to retire and I need to get my ducks in a row while I am still working.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,658x in 1,293 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why bother with a refinance when she can get a Reverse Mortgage, and the loan is paid off, and you end up with a large amount of cash and/or a line of credit? I f she is 62 or older.

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,427x in 20,397 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Why bother with a refinance when she can get a Reverse Mortgage, and the loan is paid off, and you end up with a large amount of cash and/or a line of credit? I f she is 62 or older.
    you still have to watch many of these that do reverse mortgages. Make sure, if you decide this, to read the fine print. Sometimes the surviving spouse gets screwed.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

+ Reply to Thread