Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,406x in 36,393 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The First Council of Nicaea

Some of you are watching too much Davinci Code and Ancient Aliens. Others are getting their history off of kook websites. The First Council of Nicaea had nothing to do with the formation of the biblical canon. It was not on the agenda. The 2nd Council of Nicaea had nothing to do with the bible either and the only possible connection Constantine had with the biblical canon is his request for 50 bibles for the Church of Constantinople. That may have motivated debate on what books were considered sacred scripture. The bible took centuries to reach its final form although it was slightly modified by Luther in the 16th Century.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Chris (06-05-2018),DGUtley (06-06-2018),pjohns (06-05-2018)

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,442x in 14,733 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Some of you are watching too much Davinci Code and Ancient Aliens. Others are getting their history off of kook websites. The First Council of Nicaea had nothing to do with the formation of the biblical canon. It was not on the agenda. The 2nd Council of Nicaea had nothing to do with the bible either and the only possible connection Constantine had with the biblical canon is his request for 50 bibles for the Church of Constantinople. That may have motivated debate on what books were considered sacred scripture. The bible took centuries to reach its final form although it was slightly modified by Luther in the 16th Century.

OK? Thanks for the update?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (06-05-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,553x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I want to say I do not claim to know exact dates or verses on things or to know everything or believe my words are the gospel. No pun intended!

But I will just give my "opinion" on what I think

Many of the people here have spent their life reading the constitution and government documents becasue that was their passion and interest. I have spent a better part of my life reading religious literature. I have read the bible countless times. I have read the entire Buddhist cannon, as well as many other writings of the time. I have also read the Gnostic gospels. And that is not all. I have read writings on the lives of the saints, it goes on and on. I believe that is an important part of our history. I am a seeker of truth and knowledge, and am constantly looking to grow. If I am wrong about something tell me how I am wrong in a civilized way and explain it and give me some links so that I can understand what you mean. Telling me I am a Kook does not help me to understand what you mean. But if you explain it to me because you are unhappy with my understanding I will be more than pleased to see my Err, and I would rather know what is true than just to say I am right. And also not every word a person says needs to be taken to court. Where you have to prove everything. You can just give thoughts and opinions. Not all of us have to be perfect or right about everything.

The movie the Davinci code does not even mention the council of Nicaea, and ancient aliens is just an entertainment show and every single fact is backed up by the quote, "ancient astronaut theorist say yes" and that is suppose to make it credible. That show is full of Shi#. If you have watched one episode you have watched them all.

Here is what I know that the council of Nicaea was was basically a gathering of bishops and Constantine and people who had religious and political control in their respected places. Constantine was an attendee to the meetings and he presided over the meetings in his splendid robes, but gave the power of decision to the bishops. It is true that they did not "write" the first bible per se, but they were the first council to gather and they are responsible for the religion of Christianity. They created the creed of Nicaea. What that was is the basic tenents for what the Christian religion would be. They decided on what god was, and many other topics. They established the religion and what it was. They also decided what cannon would not be allowed, and they burned any documents that were not in accordance with their creed. They decided what was the new, one and only way, anyone who did not act or believe in accordance with the creed was exiled or excommunicated.

So although they may not have written the bible per se they enforced the law that gospels that were not in accordance with the creed were to be exterminated. If you have any sense of deep looking you will see that by saying what is not allowed and violators will be punished only leaves what is left, and it is those that were left that formed the bible over time. It prevented documents not in accordance with the creed, not available for future consideration.

By this council the basic tenets of Christianity were laid out, it established control over all Christians under one banner. Free or roaming ideas were no longer allowed, and the ONE church was established. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

As for Saint Martin Luther, this was an amazing man. At the time the common man did not have access to the bible, mainly because the bible was in latin and most could not read it. The other reason is that bibles had to be written by hand and took thousands of hours to write and it took a large amount of sheep skins in order to produce one bible. Bibles were so valuble that for 300 years they were chained in the church. The only way the common man could learn of God was through their religious leader.

Saint Martin Luther changed all of that he was one of the first to translate the bible and make it accessible, I believe it is thanks to him that we have access to the bible as we know it today. I may be wrong but I feel that as my opinion and am very grateful for the great gift that he passed down to us all. We now have the chance to read the bible for ourselves and look into what it really means for ourselves and not just what another person tells us that it means. http://reformation.org/saint-martin-luther.html

http://www.catholicbridge.com/cathol...le_reading.php

Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 06-05-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your opinion is noted. You don't know what you're talking about and I have nothing nice to say about that.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave links with historical facts that explain the history. If you think the historical facts are other than that it is not my fault.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I gave links with historical facts that explain the history. If you think the historical facts are other than that it is not my fault.
    You linked to a Wikipedia article you obviously haven't bothered to read and to a totally irrelevant topic about Martin Luther. Again, this council had nothing to do with the bible. Neither did Constantine. You don't know what you're talking about.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    OK? Thanks for the update?
    You're welcome?

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You linked to a Wikipedia article you obviously haven't bothered to read and to a totally irrelevant topic about Martin Luther. Again, this council had nothing to do with the bible. Neither did Constantine. You don't know what you're talking about.
    I did read every word, Martin Luther was not an irrelevant topic because you mentioned him in your OP. You said he slightly modified the bible in the 16th century. I am wondering why is it that what ever I say no matter what it is makes you so angry? Have I said anything to harm you in any way? I am not going to be so rude as to tell you that you don't know what you are talking about. But I definitely do know what I am talking about. Anyone who reads the Wikipedia link can see what I said in there. I just gave an over all description of the whole, not a word for word court document style. This is just a forum, come on now.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RadioGod's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, since JAP pointed out that the Council of Nicea excommunicated and exiled people who didn't accept their new christian doctrine, and burned their manuscripts, and that was in fact a way in which the first councils of Nicea affected which books would not be considered for the bible, she is right. The council of Nicea did begin editing which books would be considered for the bible. It took a few hundred years from there to get something similar to what we have today.
    The funny part, to me, is since she was right about that, you switched to attacking her about Martin Luther. Good one.
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioGod View Post
    So, since JAP pointed out that the Council of Nicea excommunicated and exiled people who didn't accept their new christian doctrine, and burned their manuscripts, and that was in fact a way in which the first councils of Nicea affected which books would not be considered for the bible, she is right. The council of Nicea did begin editing which books would be considered for the bible. It took a few hundred years from there to get something similar to what we have today.
    The funny part, to me, is since she was right about that, you switched to attacking her about Martin Luther. Good one.
    No, the biblical canon was not even discussed at the Council of Nicaea, no books were "edited" and the doctrine agreed upon was not "new" (lol). Please read the Wiki article JAP supplied. It's something you should both probably do.

I didn't "attack" her over Martin Luther. I said her citation was irrelevant.

If you want to be her protector at least do it well.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread