User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: What is Your History of Views?

  1. #11
    Points: 91,593, Level: 73
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 657
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    77560
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    30,571
    Points
    91,593
    Level
    73
    Thanks Given
    4,096
    Thanked 9,525x in 7,161 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    My reason for choosing atheism is agnostic. We can't know God, whether He exists or not, what He is, etc. Not knowing, I have nothing to put faith in, and so I choose atheism. The a- in atheism means without, not against.
    I certainly don't believe in the "old white guy in robes" God of my catholic youth or smoteing types . Yet I often can't help but feel a connectedness, a "Spirit of the Universe" "Deist" or even "Force be with you" out there. I am closest to this force in nature.

    BTW, thanks Polly, this turned out to be a pretty cool topic.

  2. #12
    Points: 410,332, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390266
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    136,732
    Points
    410,332
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    12,995
    Thanked 37,834x in 28,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    1622 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I certainly don't believe in the "old white guy in robes" God of my catholic youth or smoteing types . Yet I often can't help but feel a connectedness, a "Spirit of the Universe" "Deist" or even "Force be with you" out there. I am closest to this force in nature.

    BTW, thanks Polly, this turned out to be a pretty cool topic.

    I'm this morning reading Is There a Physical Reality to God? and how God revealed Himself to Moses, Exodus 33. But He hasn't revealed Himself to me. Perhaps reason gets in the way.

    Read Stewart's Nature's God about some of the founders and the roots of their beliefs in Epicureanism.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  3. #13
    Points: 91,593, Level: 73
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 657
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    77560
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    30,571
    Points
    91,593
    Level
    73
    Thanks Given
    4,096
    Thanked 9,525x in 7,161 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'm this morning reading Is There a Physical Reality to God? and how God revealed Himself to Moses, Exodus 33. But He hasn't revealed Himself to me. Perhaps reason gets in the way.

    Read Stewart's Nature's God about some of the founders and the roots of their beliefs in Epicureanism.
    We essentially exist via magic. Either the magic of a being who can create out of nothing. Or the magic of matter that existed outside of time and just blew up one day. Or some other equally unlikely explanation . Yet here we are. Or are we?

  4. #14
    Points: 410,332, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390266
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    136,732
    Points
    410,332
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    12,995
    Thanked 37,834x in 28,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    1622 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    We essentially exist via magic. Either the magic of a being who can create out of nothing. Or the magic of matter that existed outside of time and just blew up one day. Or some other equally unlikely explanation . Yet here we are. Or are we?

    History: I am...

    Last edited by Chris; 06-10-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    donttread (06-10-2018)

  6. #15
    Points: 34,748, Level: 45
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    6052
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,941
    Points
    34,748
    Level
    45
    Thanks Given
    1,589
    Thanked 2,194x in 1,726 Posts
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard right Christian independent. I think most republicans are weak minded or double minded and can't stand the left.

  7. #16
    Points: 91,593, Level: 73
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 657
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    77560
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    30,571
    Points
    91,593
    Level
    73
    Thanks Given
    4,096
    Thanked 9,525x in 7,161 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    History: I am...

    LOL. But that was before the Matrix!

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Chris (06-10-2018),IMPress Polly (06-11-2018)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO