User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: How Mining the Moon and Asteroids could destroy civilization as we know it.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just AnotherPerson: [...] This is exactly what happened with Nikola Tesla he basically was a gift to this world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    You believe adding a couple of thousand tons to the earth is going to do anything? [...]

Tesla was smart but, no, he didn't invent or cause to be invented everything. He had nothing to do with computers, cell phones, open-heart surgery or Starbucks...

George Westinghouse buys:

Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion Rules For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (06-14-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    You believe adding a couple of thousand tons to the earth is going to do anything? That's beyond nuttiness. We can't mine the moon enough to send it spinning away.

Tesla was smart but, no, he didn't invent or cause to be invented everything. He had nothing to do with computers, cell phones, open-heart surgery or Starbucks.

You shouldn't be the one crying ignorance.
    It is not the only reason, there is also the potential that
    If we move things in space we can cause chain reactions. We can cause other more larger asteroids to change course and be attracted to earth.

You just don't know about what all of Tesla's patents are yet that's all, try reading all of them. I wont even go there. Educate yourself!
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I think that the model of traditional mining would be highly impractical off-planet. What is more likely is mining/manufacturing taking place on the moon where rare metals are extracted and highly specialized micro-sized components are manufactured and returned to the earth. Payload is just too expensive otherwise. Similarly, with mining asteroids, you would have ships that mine, extract and manufacture in space or ships that mine the asteroids and return the payload to space manufacturing plants in space. Again, they won't be making large objects, except to be used in space. Only micro materials would be returned to earth. We have most of what we need on-planet other than rare minerals. We can recycle metals indefinitely and we are increasingly moving away from metals, so we don't have to bring ore from space to earth. At some point we are going to figure out how to make whatever we really need from the atomic level on up.
    Try telling that to Elon Musk though, he has big designs for all of our futures. He is ambitious and is going full out. Not in a good favor either.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Try telling that to Elon Musk though, he has big designs for all of our futures. He is ambitious and is going full out. Not in a good favor either.
    Elon is all about going out there and figuring things out. Many things can change between the drawing table and reality.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-14-2018)

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posted by Just AnotherPerson:
    Elon is all about going out there and figuring things out. Many things can change between the drawing table and reality.
    What has he found out? The drawing table and what is realistic? It seems most could never afford it. Who is he to dictate?
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,251x in 27,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not the only reason, there is also the potential that
    If we move things in space we can cause chain reactions. We can cause other more larger asteroids to change course and be attracted to earth.

You just don't know about what all of Tesla's patents are yet that's all, try reading all of them. I wont even go there. Educate yourself!
    You err.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,592x in 94,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the dumbest idea of all time. Mine the moon and kill earth so we can have space ships and find another planet to destroy. Yes its a good idea to find another planet. But we should not be treating this planet like it is a throw away planet. Killing the earth is dumb, anyone who says otherwise is missing brain cells. To change the moon means to destroy earth. It WILL stop the tides, it will slow the dynamo. It will kill earth. Mining that steroids will add mass to the earth in a more than natural progression. We are always gaining mass because of star dust, meteors, and so on. But that is a very slow growth. But if we mine the way we do now. We will add mass to the earth at a rapid rate it could disrupt the wobble of the earth we don't exactly know what all the consequences will be but I know it wont be good. If just an earthquake can change our wobble and shorten our days then what will happen when we add to the mass.

Humans are intelligent enough to invent things but not intelligent enough to know if we should or should not use one of those inventions. I can think of a handful of amazing green energy ideas but upon deep looking I fall silent to those ideas because I see the potential harms in them.

This is exactly what happened with Nikola Tesla he basically was a gift to this world. He wanted to bring free energy to all. He was already imaging the future world. He invented almost everything that we have today. Everything that we have is thanks to him. They are still going off his patents "so called" inventing things even to this day. We still have not caught up with him. But the mega corporations were not having it. His ideas did not bring the money that they were looking for, so they kept us in the alternate future of burning fossil fuels. So sad even now we have not graduated from coal. Give me a break we are an advanced society. But the mega corporations are limiting us from true advancement. We have not yet been able to express our true potential. If there is not a way for them to profit off of it they will not allow it.

Such ignorance! Not just any ignorance shameful ignorance!
    For someone who spends a lot of time alleging that she is attacked personally you sure attack others personally. The bolded are examples of that, along with exaggerated claims.

* Dumbest idea of all time
    * missing brain cells
    * ignorance and shameful ignorance

We are not going to destroy the earth by mining the moon, and I suspect you could present your opinions without questioning the intelligence of those who disagree with you. At the very least if you can't not attack others, please don't complain when you are attacked.

Humans are going to advance into space, and the earth will get better for it. Science will cure our issues with pollution and increase standards of living for most. That is my vision of the future. But then I am a glass half full sort of guy.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,592x in 94,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the model of traditional mining would be highly impractical off-planet. What is more likely is mining/manufacturing taking place on the moon where rare metals are extracted and highly specialized micro-sized components are manufactured and returned to the earth. Payload is just too expensive otherwise. Similarly, with mining asteroids, you would have ships that mine, extract and manufacture in space or ships that mine the asteroids and return the payload to space manufacturing plants in space. Again, they won't be making large objects, except to be used in space. Only micro materials would be returned to earth. We have most of what we need on-planet other than rare minerals. We can recycle metals indefinitely and we are increasingly moving away from metals, so we don't have to bring ore from space to earth. At some point we are going to figure out how to make whatever we really need from the atomic level on up.
    3D printing will be a big part of using the mined resources to build stuff in orbit. Costs will come down when economies of scales and new inventions come into play.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-14-2018)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Do you believe it is important that you do not see a need?

You never learned how to punctuate a simple sentence.
    A non answer and insult from grammar grandma. Shocker!

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we don't really need them except for our dependence on REM we don't have enough of?

+ Reply to Thread