User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was globalism a mistake?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Once in a while, progressives will admit that what they really desire is the obliteration of human diversity. I've long argued as much and we see it here once again although I have no doubt it will be vociferously denied. They'll say it's "inevitable" (nonsense) or make inane appeals to "change" but it's something they crave. They perceive real human difference as something bad. It supposedly divides people. They have a profound fear of difference and will only tolerate that which is trivial. What makes them uncomfortable is the capitalist nature of globalization and that the term refers to an ever expanding market society. It entails the adoption of Western lifestyles and economic behavior by the entire planet. Alain de Benoist wrote that "capitalism proposes to succeed where Communism has failed: to create a planet with no borders, inhabited by a "new man". But this new man is no longer the worker or the citizen but the "plugged in" consumer who shares the common destiny of an undifferentiated humanity connected only by the Internet and the supermarket." On some level, progressives sense something wrong so they warn us about multinationals and so forth as if globalization was not at least partly a product of the global financial system! Yet they continue to cheer for the homogenization of humanity.

What happened to the left? Their ideals have become closely aligned with those of the so called neoliberals.

And yet the left is also big these days on identity politics, a politics of division. Perhaps there the ultimate goal is to rid the world of oppressors leaving all oppressed and grieving.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,471x in 36,446 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Are you being deliberately blind? There is a strong connection between technology and human migration. There is also a strong connection between technology and cultural changes. You can pretend that it will go back to pre-industrial times, but the handwriting has been on the wall for a long time whether you like it or not. The fact that you were even born is part of that phenomenon. The thousands of airlines in the world are a testament to that fact. American culture is a total hybrid. Did you think that it would all stop in the 70's? People move for economic reasons. That has always been true. Now they just move much further away because they can. America is not going to start paying people to have babies. The right would totally object because it would be really expensive to pay people enough money to consider having more kids. They can get immigrants for free. You might want to stop living in your fantasy world and face reality or you are going to be a very disappointed person.
    There is a much stronger connection between migration and the global market, the adoption or imposition of Western economic behavior and the steady expansion of market society. The latter is a peculiarly Western way of life. What that entails about globalization is completely lost on people like you but that's another thread. Do you really think poor people are being uprooted all over the world because of technology? Do you really think it's technology compelling millions of grade school educated mestizos to migrate to the US and Toronto to bus our tables? The rest of your comments are a mixture of bizarre straw men that are in any case irrelevant.

Again, spare us the charade. You fear human difference. You loathe it. This results in a great deal of ideological confusion with regard to globalization. Your views are inconsistent on a number of issues.
    Last edited by Mister D; 06-13-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,471x in 36,446 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    And yet the left is also big these days on identity politics, a politics of division. Perhaps there the ultimate goal is to rid the world of oppressors leaving all oppressed and grieving.
    Identity politics typically embraces marginal identities while being hostile to historical, traditional and especially majority identities. It kind of makes sense.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Chris (06-13-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Culturally, forced globalism is a disaster, look at the lack of assimilation in Europe. Economically, it's hard to say it was a success for most as well. The middle and working classes in the West are struggling, and the poor in 3rd world countries are still poor.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-13-2018)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can an individual undo economic globalism personally by spending on domestically produced products? A one man at a time sort of thing.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Can an individual undo economic globalism personally by spending on domestically produced products? A one man at a time sort of thing.
    Like buy a truck made in the US with foreign parts? Hard to do these days.

I bought a MyPillow.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,565x in 94,409 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Made in the US typical means finished or completed in the US. The parts come though a global supply chain.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-13-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Like buy a truck made in the US with foreign parts? Hard to do these days.

I bought a MyPillow.
    I was given one of those. Best pillow ever!

I think my Silverado was assembled in Mexico and has 45% US MFR parts in the assembly.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Made in the US typical means finished or completed in the US. The parts come though a global supply chain.
    Great point.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my industry (Aviation) I have to sign affidavits to attest that I am selling 100% domestically produced material when selling to the DLA (government procurement agency).

+ Reply to Thread