Members banned from this thread: Tahuyaman


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 63

Thread: Canadians are one in a million -- while waiting for medical treatment

  1. #11
    Points: 409,866, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390204
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    136,632
    Points
    409,866
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    12,977
    Thanked 37,772x in 27,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    1620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Well, being on a wait list is better than no health care at all, which is what many who can't afford insurance and make too much to qualify for Medicaide can expect.
    https://www.healthcare.com/blog/cana...sa-healthcare/
    Yea, except the article you point to in support of your tu quoque, doesn't support it. It doesn't say the US is faced with no healthcare, it says the US is faced with higher costs for healthcare.

    And, yea, I'd rather get healthcare at a higher cost than wait n line.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (06-14-2018)

  3. #12
    Points: 409,866, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390204
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    136,632
    Points
    409,866
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    12,977
    Thanked 37,772x in 27,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    1620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post
    You have a point ... hey, get rid of all insurance so everyone can pay their own way through life.
    You, too. Captdon said nothing about getting rid of health insurance, he said work to pay for the insurance.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (06-14-2018),stjames1_53 (06-14-2018)

  5. #13
    Original Ranter
    Points: 454,011, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    411078
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    139,571
    Points
    454,011
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    80,342
    Thanked 62,047x in 42,493 Posts
    Mentioned
    2137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post
    You have a point ... hey, get rid of all insurance so everyone can pay their own way through life.
    You don't have a point. People buy insurance, with their own money, to mitigate risk. People who are sufficiently rich don't really need much insurance. They can self insure.
    Alea iacta est

    Check out the blog.


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (06-14-2018)

  7. #14
    Points: 70,432, Level: 64
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    927821
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,160
    Points
    70,432
    Level
    64
    Thanks Given
    12,347
    Thanked 12,742x in 8,969 Posts
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canada certainly does have an issue when it comes to wait times for specific procedures.

    There are several factors that contribute to that...Canada is vast and remote communities are under served by healthcare providers. Our aging population means an increased need for services and a lack of professionals hurts too.

    The myth that Canadian doctors (and patients for that matter) flood to the US is indeed overstated. Canadian doctors are making comparable incomes. Many do make less, but many do make similar incomes.

    Canadians overall have more access to healthcare and it's not as if there aren't wait times in the US for many people.

    Personally I've never had issues with wait times...but I live in a major city. If I want to see my doctor (who I chose), I can usually see them the next day and any specialists I've seen are immediate as well. I can also choose to pay out of pocket for things like MRIs as well.

    The Canadian system is far from perfect and definitely is flawed, but Canadians are generally happy with it. I wouldn't insist Americans adopt it...but it's a good system.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

    Adelaide (06-14-2018),Peter1469 (06-13-2018)

  9. #15
    Points: 409,866, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390204
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    136,632
    Points
    409,866
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    12,977
    Thanked 37,772x in 27,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    1620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Canada certainly does have an issue when it comes to wait times for specific procedures.

    There are several factors that contribute to that...Canada is vast and remote communities are under served by healthcare providers. Our aging population means an increased need for services and a lack of professionals hurts too.

    The myth that Canadian doctors (and patients for that matter) flood to the US is indeed overstated. Canadian doctors are making comparable incomes. Many do make less, but many do make similar incomes.

    Canadians overall have more access to healthcare and it's not as if there aren't wait times in the US for many people.

    Personally I've never had issues with wait times...but I live in a major city. If I want to see my doctor (who I chose), I can usually see them the next day and any specialists I've seen are immediate as well. I can also choose to pay out of pocket for things like MRIs as well.

    The Canadian system is far from perfect and definitely is flawed, but Canadians are generally happy with it. I wouldn't insist Americans adopt it...but it's a good system.
    It is not, however, a myth that Canada suffers a doctor shortage.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (06-14-2018)

  11. #16
    Points: 70,432, Level: 64
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    927821
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,160
    Points
    70,432
    Level
    64
    Thanks Given
    12,347
    Thanked 12,742x in 8,969 Posts
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    You don't have a point. People buy insurance, with their own money, to mitigate risk. People who are sufficiently rich don't really need much insurance. They can self insure.
    You have to be pretty rich to self insure. I assume self insure means they would pay out of pocket for unexpected healthcare costs.

    The direct and associated costs of a heart attack can get into the hundreds of thousands.

  12. #17
    Original Ranter
    Points: 454,011, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    411078
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    139,571
    Points
    454,011
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    80,342
    Thanked 62,047x in 42,493 Posts
    Mentioned
    2137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    You have to be pretty rich to self insure. I assume self insure means they would pay out of pocket for unexpected healthcare costs.

    The direct and associated costs of a heart attack can get into the hundreds of thousands.
    Right. If you are a billionaire, what do you need health insurance for?
    Alea iacta est

    Check out the blog.


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (06-14-2018)

  14. #18
    Points: 70,432, Level: 64
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    927821
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,160
    Points
    70,432
    Level
    64
    Thanks Given
    12,347
    Thanked 12,742x in 8,969 Posts
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It is not, however, a myth that Canada suffers a doctor shortage.
    That's true, but the main shortage is of GPs. Most new doctors want to specialize and not run a family practice.

    In 2016, there were 2.56 doctors for every 1000 Americans and 2.46 doctors for every 1000 Canadians.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/u...oser-look.html



    The US also has a GP shortage for the same reasons.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceja.../#36f438221aa7

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (06-13-2018)

  16. #19
    Points: 70,432, Level: 64
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    927821
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,160
    Points
    70,432
    Level
    64
    Thanks Given
    12,347
    Thanked 12,742x in 8,969 Posts
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Right. If you are a billionaire, what do you need health insurance for?
    True...but that's what, less than 1000 Americans?

  17. #20
    Points: 409,866, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390204
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    136,632
    Points
    409,866
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    12,977
    Thanked 37,772x in 27,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    1620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    That's true, but the main shortage is of GPs. Most new doctors want to specialize and not run a family practice.

    In 2016, there were 2.56 doctors for every 1000 Americans and 2.46 doctors for every 1000 Canadians.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/u...oser-look.html



    The US also has a GP shortage for the same reasons.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceja.../#36f438221aa7
    Right, in both countries government regulation keeps salaries for doctors down. The unintended consequence is a shortage.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO