Members banned from this thread: Tahuyaman


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Canadians are one in a million -- while waiting for medical treatment

  1. #1
    Points: 45,246, Level: 51
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5707
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,619
    Points
    45,246
    Level
    51
    Thanks Given
    11,844
    Thanked 5,538x in 3,794 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Canadians are one in a million -- while waiting for medical treatment

    And the left keeps trying to bring this here...with tens of millions of MORE PEOPLE than Canada: "Canada’s single-payer healthcare system forced over 1 million patients to wait for necessary medical treatments last year. That’s an all-time record."

    Wait times , and everything else, would be FAR WORSE here....

    Canadians are one in a million -- while waiting for medical treatment



    Canada’s single-payer healthcare system forced over 1 million patients to wait for necessary medical treatments last year. That’s an all-time record.

    Those long wait times were more than just a nuisance; they cost patients $1.9 billion in lost wages, according to a new report by the Fraser Institute, a Vancouver-based think-tank.

    Lengthy treatment delays are the norm in Canada and other single-payer nations, which ration care to keep costs down. Yet more and more Democratic leaders are pushing for a single-payer system — and more and more voters are clamoring for one.
    Indeed, three in four Americans now support a national health plan — and a new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll finds that health care is the most important issue for voters in the coming election.

    The leading proponent of transitioning the United States to a single-payer system is Sen. Bernie Sanders, Vermont’s firebrand independent. If Sanders and his allies succeed, Americans will face the same delays and low-quality care as their neighbors to the north.
    By his own admission, Sen. Sanders’ “Medicare for All” bill is modeled on Canada’s healthcare system. On a fact-finding trip to Canada last fall, Sanders praised the country for “guaranteeing health care to all people,” noting that “there is so much to be learned” from the Canadian system.

    The only thing Canadian patients are “ guaranteed” is a spot on a waitlist. As the Fraser report notes, in 2017, more than 173,000 patients waited for an ophthalmology procedure. Another 91,000 lined up for some form of general surgery, while more than 40,000 waited for a urology procedure.

    All told, nearly 3 percent of Canada’s population was waiting for some kind of medical care at the end of last year.









    https://www.forbes.com/sites/sallyp...lion-while-waiting-for-medical-treatment/amp/
    De Oppresso Liber



  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Useful Post:

    Common (06-13-2018)

  3. #2
    Points: 233,557, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    exotix's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    536414
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Starz Fall on Alabama !
    Posts
    40,687
    Points
    233,557
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    5,837
    Thanked 7,326x in 5,947 Posts
    Mentioned
    817 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the Trump / GOP Healthcare Plan again ?



    'How and Why ?' ~ Einstein

  4. #3
    Points: 107,389, Level: 79
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    858007
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    44,323
    Points
    107,389
    Level
    79
    Thanks Given
    243
    Thanked 263x in 193 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    And the left keeps trying to bring this here...with tens of millions of MORE PEOPLE than Canada: "Canada’s single-payer healthcare system forced over 1 million patients to wait for necessary medical treatments last year. That’s an all-time record."

    Wait times , and everything else, would be FAR WORSE here....

    Canadians are one in a million -- while waiting for medical treatment



    Canada’s single-payer healthcare system forced over 1 million patients to wait for necessary medical treatments last year. That’s an all-time record.

    Those long wait times were more than just a nuisance; they cost patients $1.9 billion in lost wages, according to a new report by the Fraser Institute, a Vancouver-based think-tank.

    Lengthy treatment delays are the norm in Canada and other single-payer nations, which ration care to keep costs down. Yet more and more Democratic leaders are pushing for a single-payer system — and more and more voters are clamoring for one.
    Indeed, three in four Americans now support a national health plan — and a new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll finds that health care is the most important issue for voters in the coming election.

    The leading proponent of transitioning the United States to a single-payer system is Sen. Bernie Sanders, Vermont’s firebrand independent. If Sanders and his allies succeed, Americans will face the same delays and low-quality care as their neighbors to the north.
    By his own admission, Sen. Sanders’ “Medicare for All” bill is modeled on Canada’s healthcare system. On a fact-finding trip to Canada last fall, Sanders praised the country for “guaranteeing health care to all people,” noting that “there is so much to be learned” from the Canadian system.

    The only thing Canadian patients are “ guaranteed” is a spot on a waitlist. As the Fraser report notes, in 2017, more than 173,000 patients waited for an ophthalmology procedure. Another 91,000 lined up for some form of general surgery, while more than 40,000 waited for a urology procedure.

    All told, nearly 3 percent of Canada’s population was waiting for some kind of medical care at the end of last year.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/sallyp...lion-while-waiting-for-medical-treatment/amp/
    Well, being on a wait list is better than no health care at all, which is what many who can't afford insurance and make too much to qualify for Medicaide can expect.
    https://www.healthcare.com/blog/cana...sa-healthcare/
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  5. #4
    Points: 7,026, Level: 19
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    8142
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,365
    Points
    7,026
    Level
    19
    Thanks Given
    4,790
    Thanked 1,585x in 833 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if a country offers "free" healthcare for all, then it needs to follow through by employing enough doctors to take care of everyone. And therein lies then problem. Wait lists exists because there are not a sufficient number of doctors willing to work for pennies on the dollar.
    The U.S. has a similar issue regarding Medicare, and the V.A..
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”



    Jim Hays


  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KathyS For This Useful Post:

    Cannons Front (06-13-2018),stjames1_53 (06-13-2018)

  7. #5

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 251,927, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    322920
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    44,578
    Points
    251,927
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    910
    Thanked 2,121x in 1,273 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post
    What's the Trump / GOP Healthcare Plan again ?



    The same as its always been which worked fine, anyone with no insurance went to the emergency room and got immediate treatment, including surgery if necessary.

    Many that had no insurance had medicaid which is the grand cadillac of all health plans covering 7,000 hearing aids and all dental work.

    Americans always had healthcare, Obamacare was wealth destribution and it hurt healthcare for everyone that had it
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

    barb012 (06-16-2018),Cannons Front (06-13-2018),stjames1_53 (06-13-2018)

  9. #6
    Original Ranter
    Points: 453,923, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    411066
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    139,553
    Points
    453,923
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    80,335
    Thanked 62,035x in 42,484 Posts
    Mentioned
    2137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyS View Post
    I think if a country offers "free" healthcare for all, then it needs to follow through by employing enough doctors to take care of everyone. And therein lies then problem. Wait lists exists because there are not a sufficient number of doctors willing to work for pennies on the dollar.
    The U.S. has a similar issue regarding Medicare, and the V.A..
    A lot of Canadian doctors come to the US so they can make a lot more money.
    Alea iacta est

    Check out the blog.


  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    Cannons Front (06-13-2018),stjames1_53 (06-13-2018)

  11. #7
    Points: 85,827, Level: 71
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    281130
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    42,305
    Points
    85,827
    Level
    71
    Thanks Given
    30,199
    Thanked 12,491x in 9,758 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Well, being on a wait list is better than no health care at all, which is what many who can't afford insurance and make too much to qualify for Medicaide can expect.
    https://www.healthcare.com/blog/cana...sa-healthcare/
    Get the federal government completely out of health care meddling and the market will respond with goods and services across all price points.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (06-13-2018)

  13. #8
    Points: 45,246, Level: 51
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5707
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,619
    Points
    45,246
    Level
    51
    Thanks Given
    11,844
    Thanked 5,538x in 3,794 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Well, being on a wait list is better than no health care at all, which is what many who can't afford insurance and make too much to qualify for Medicaide can expect.
    https://www.healthcare.com/blog/cana...sa-healthcare/

    Please cite the people being denied emergency healthcare...anywhere.
    De Oppresso Liber



  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grokmaster For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (06-13-2018),stjames1_53 (06-14-2018)

  15. #9
    Points: 11,528, Level: 25
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    2435
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South Carolina now.
    Posts
    5,409
    Points
    11,528
    Level
    25
    Thanks Given
    7,120
    Thanked 2,425x in 1,843 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post
    What's the Trump / GOP Healthcare Plan again ?



    None. Pay your own way through life.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our democracy and our society.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

    stjames1_53 (06-14-2018)

  17. #10
    Points: 233,557, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    exotix's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    536414
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Starz Fall on Alabama !
    Posts
    40,687
    Points
    233,557
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    5,837
    Thanked 7,326x in 5,947 Posts
    Mentioned
    817 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    None. Pay your own way through life.
    You have a point ... hey, get rid of all insurance so everyone can pay their own way through life.
    'How and Why ?' ~ Einstein

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO