User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Justice Department backs conservative students who claim universities stifle speech

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Major Lambda's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 266x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Major, you have been taught wrong. It is a prohibition against government action not private entities or citizens.

Honestly.....now I am confused. Post #18.....repeat.

"The Supreme Court clarified in Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District (1969) that public students do not “shed” their First Amendment rights “at the schoolhouse gate."

Major Lambda
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Major, you have been taught wrong. It is a prohibition against government action not private entities or citizens.

So, does this mean that Human Resoures from the Boeing Corporation or McDonnel Douglas.... can walk out to the parking lot of their employees, use a Slim Jim, unlock an employee's car and search it without their permission?

Major Lambda
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,546x in 55,056 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Lambda View Post
    So, does this mean that Human Resoures from the Boeing Corporation or McDonnel Douglas.... can walk out to the parking lot of their employees, use a Slim Jim, unlock an employee's car and search it without their permission?

Major Lambda

Sure, why not, it's their parking lot.

I think what's being missed is whether the government in the form of courts can intervene in protecting free speech. Surely at a public university, but what about a private university? That would depend, some of us think, on whether the private university depended on public funding. If not, it should be left alone, just like Boing or McDonnel Douglas.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (06-16-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Sure, why not, it's their parking lot.

I think what's being missed is whether the government in the form of courts can intervene in protecting free speech. Surely at a public university, but what about a private university? That would depend, some of us think, on whether the private university depended on public funding. If not, it should be left alone, just like Boing or McDonnel Douglas.

The Government enforces the laws of the Constitution. As an American citizen , I am protected under the US Constitution.

So, if I walk into a supermarket and discuss pro Trump agenda with another patron at the checkout counter, the cashier can tell me to shut up because she is a Clinton fan.

If I park my vehicle on a parking lot at the supermarket, a cop can just break the glass and search my vehicle because it is on private property.

Just because the Prosecution is not ready for court, does not mean they can go and get a 180 day motion for continuance approved.

Why does a lot of people want to trash a document, amend ( Constitutional Amendment ) a document, that so many intellectual people ( the signers of the Constitution ) worked so very hard for , and went to hell to get ratified.

https://constitutioncenter.org/inter...lsen/interp/37

Some....just don't get how rich our history really is. Some don't understand where we as citizens originated nor the importance of colonial times. Some forget the "Masters" like Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, Hamilton, Madison. John Quincy Adams and others.

Think back to the 17 and 1800s. Where we essentially began.

Think of walking down a cobblestone sidewalk , with lanterns hanging on the outside of houses. Fog stirs in the distance and a horse and carriage pass you by.

Think of the original 13 colonies. Ships in the harbor and the Boston Tea Party occurring.

Major Lambda
    Last edited by Major Lambda; 06-16-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,398x in 27,954 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major Lambda
    Well, maybe. The Constitution describes the nature of our federal government and, in theory, but no longer in practice, limits what the federal government can do.

You may have any sort of private arrangement with a private corporation. The Constitution is not directly applicable.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,546x in 55,056 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The Government enforces the laws of the Constitution. As an American citizen , I am protected under the US Constitution.

So, if I walk into a supermarket and discuss pro Trump agenda with another patron at the checkout counter, the cashier can tell me to shut up because she is a Clinton fan.

If I park my vehicle on a parking lot at the supermarket, a cop can just break the glass and search my vehicle because it is on private property.

Just because the Prosecution is not ready for court, does not mean they can go and get a 180 day motion for continuance approved.

Why does a lot of people want to trash a document, amend ( Constitutional Amendment ) a document, that so many intellectual people ( the signers of the Constitution ) worked so very hard for , and went to hell to get ratified.

https://constitutioncenter.org/inter...lsen/interp/37

Some....just don't get how rich our history really is. Some don't understand where we as citizens originated nor the importance of colonial times. Some forget the "Masters" like Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, Hamilton, Madison. John Quincy Adams and others.

Think back to the 17 and 1800s. Where we essentially began.

Think of walking down a cobblestone sidewalk , with lanterns hanging on the outside of houses. Fog stirs in the distance and a horse and carriage pass you by.

Think of the original 13 colonies. Ships in the harbor and the Boston Tea Party occurring.

Major Lambda

Let's assume "The Government enforces the laws of the Constitution." What law here applies? Only that the government, through legislature, cannot violate the natural free speech rights of the people. Public universities are an extension of the government. Private universities can be tightly ties to the government for program funding. Do Boeing or McDonnel Douglas sell to the government, but that's not, imo, enough to regulate them. If they take subsidies from the government, then they might be regulated. But the principle here is the COnstitution protects free speech from government intrusion.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread