Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two examples of injustice.

In the English-speaking World of 2018, men experience many forms of gender discrimination ranging from trivial to severe. One of the most severe examples of discrimination is wrongful convictions of innocent men. Many men are convicted of sexual offenses and sentenced to decades in prison on an accuser's uncorroborated testimony alone.

In many cases, conclusive evidence of the defendant's innocence is obtained after conviction, yet the judges and prosecutors keep innocent men in prison. Such cases are documented in ``Blind Injustice: A Former Prosecutor Exposes the Psychology and Politics of Wrongful Convictions" by Mark Godsey. Many judges and prosecutors consider keeping innocent men in prison a lesser wrong then undermining the public trust in Criminal Justice System by overturning convictions.

One of the most trivial examples of anti-male bias is the Social Media's approach to men's issues. Almost every Social Media platform from Facebook to an obscure forum contains many Liberal and a few Conservative members, who consider every mention of discrimination against men to be a moral crime. In most online communities, posters who bring up these issues lose status. Some posters guilty of Compassion for Men are subject to personal attacks, or campaigns of online bullying. On some boards they are banned. Sometimes the two approaches are combined -- the posters who offend SJWs are first subject to a bullying campaign, and then banned when they respond.

It can be argued that serious and trivial issues are not related. Comparing them is like comparing a bolt to a skyscraper or comparing a biological cell to a tree. That may be the case, but without cells there are no trees, and without bolts there are no skyscrapers.

Would severe injustice against men have been possible if there was no trivial injustice? Had there been no deeply entrenched prejudice against men in modern English-speaking World, the cases of obvious injustice would have provoked an outrage. At first a case would have been mentioned in a few tweets or a few Facebook posts. Then some of those who read the story would have retweeted it, re-posted it on their Facebook feed, posted it on Reddit. Within a few days, outrage would have swept the Social Media, and the facts would have been known to tens of millions of people.

Cases of severe injustice can bring Social Media Avalanche. For instance, when Cecil the Lion was killed by a poacher, several petitions for jailing the culprit appeared quickly reaching 1.2 million signatures. When severe injustice happens to a man, the response is very stifled. There may be a petition with a few thousand signatures. The case may find resonance within Manosphere, but it will find little resonance on general Social Media.

At first, it may be posted on a few forums, subreddits, and Facebook groups dealing with general news. Some regular members will agree that the case is indeed unjust. Some SJWs will insult OPs for focusing on injustice against the Privileged Oppressors. Some of the arguments may be lost by SJWs with the majority of members agreeing that the case in question is indeed an example of injustice against men. But the vast majority of posters will understand, that the whole topic of discrimination against men is very controversial. They will be happy to leave such discussion, and extremely few would be willing to put themselves into the center of even a minor controversy by retweeting or re-posting the message. As a result, only a few thousand people will be aware of the injustice, and only a few will protest.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer", -- William Blackstone

Attachment 23688

I don't believe that prosecutors or judges keep people in prison after conclusive evidence. I think that you want to believe that it is conclusive evidence but it usually is not. I am a believer in Blackstone's ratio. I share your concern that men are generally discriminated against as a form of payment for the sins of men past.

Note: Are there crooked actors in our justice system, sure. I think they are few and far between.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-15-2018),Peter1469 (06-15-2018)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My own experience is limited to reading articles.

Maybe someone who has experience in Legal System will know more.

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer", -- William Blackstone

Attachment 23688

I don't believe that prosecutors or judges keep people in prison after conclusive evidence. I think that you want to believe that it is conclusive evidence but it usually is not. I am a believer in Blackstone's ratio. I share your concern that men are generally discriminated against as a form of payment for the sins of men past.

Note: Are there crooked actors in our justice system, sure. I think they are few and far between.

And yet in China, I hear tell, they will punish even the innocent as a lesson for the rest of the population.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-15-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,566x in 94,410 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    My own experience is limited to reading articles.

Maybe someone who has experience in Legal System will know more.
    I was a special assistant United States attorney, an Army prosecutor, and a military magistrate. I have caused many people to go to prison. On one case, I got evidence to prove the defendant was not guilty and I gave it to the defense who got the case kicked at the military version of a grand jury. I counted that as a win.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-15-2018),CCitizen (06-16-2018),DGUtley (06-15-2018),MisterVeritis (06-24-2018)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    And yet in China, I hear tell, they will punish even the innocent as a lesson for the rest of the population.
    Chinese value community over the individual.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Chris (06-15-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I was a special assistant United States attorney, an Army prosecutor, and a military magistrate. I have caused many people to go to prison. On one case, I got evidence to prove the defendant was not guilty and I gave it to the defense who got the case kicked at the military version of a grand jury. I counted that as a win.
    Thank you for freeing an innocent defendant!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CCitizen For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-17-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity, is it true that most Date Rape convictions are obtained on the accuser's testimony alone?

I am interested in the experience of people who work in the Legal System.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is it true that most Date Rape convictions are obtained on the accuser's testimony alone?

I am interested in the experience of people who work in the Legal System.

I tired a lot of sex crimes as a prosecutor in the Army. It is not easy to get a conviction solely on testimony of the victim.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (06-24-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I tired a lot of sex crimes as a prosecutor in the Army. It is not easy to get a conviction solely on testimony of the victim.
    Thank you for sharing. Fortunately, I have no experience with Justice System either as a Defendant or Accuser.

+ Reply to Thread