Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,815x in 3,968 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump’s right, China and the G-7 countries do have higher tariffs

At last we have a POTUS willing to confront this and other unfair trade practices to promote OUR INTERESTS. Notice that the G7 DID NOT want the " NO ONE CHARGES TARRIFFS" that Pres. Trump proposed; they are ENJOYING their unfair trade practices against us:

President Trump has just slapped a 25 percent tariff on about $50 billion worth of Chinese products. His complaint is that China imposes significantly higher tariffs on the U.S. than the U.S. imposes on China. According to the World Trade Organization, the president is correct.
    Trump has been relentless in his assertion that China and other nations, including the G-7 countries, are taking advantage of the U.S. For example, in a recent tweet he wrote: “If we charge a country ZERO to sell their goods, and they charge us 25, 50 or even 100 percent to sell ours, it is UNFAIR and can no longer be tolerated. That is not Free or Fair Trade, it is Stupid Trade!”

It’s worth noting that we don’t actually “charge a country” to sell their products in the U.S. A tariff is a tax the U.S. government imposes on U.S. residents if they buy a foreign product or service.

When other countries impose higher tariffs and barriers on U.S. products and services, that action makes our products and services less attractive or less available to foreign consumers. That’s why Trump thinks the U.S. trade deficit is so large. One doesn’t have to be a protectionist to realize the president has a point.

One reason for developing a WTO-type averaging is tariffs are so varied and complicated. A country may have high tariffs on some products — as Canada imposes on dairy imports — and either very low or no tariffs on many others.
    For example, President Trump complains that the E.U. imposes a 10 percent tariff on U.S.-made cars, while the U.S. imposes a 2.5 percent tariff on foreign-made cars. But Trump never mentions the 25 percent tariff the U.S. puts on foreign-made light trucks. And yet Americans buy twice as many trucks as cars, magnifying the impact of the 25 percent foreign-made truck tariff.

So Trump’s point that our trading partners impose higher tariffs and more restrictions than we do appears to be correct, according to the WTO. And those higher tariffs could discourage foreign consumers from buying U.S. products, exacerbating the trade deficit.

http://thehill.com/opinion/internati...higher-tariffs

De Oppresso Liber

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grokmaster For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-17-2018),Common (06-17-2018),MMC (06-17-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trade inequity we suffer is outrageous, it costs untold numbers of american jobs. Trump is the only potus with the balls to take this on.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-17-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep....I kept telling a few Canadians this and they swore up and down it was the US that has the higher tariffs.

Even some Demos pointed it out.....yet the Cult of Leftness still blames Trump.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-17-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    At last we have a POTUS willing to confront this and other unfair trade practices to promote OUR INTERESTS. Notice that the G7 DID NOT want the " NO ONE CHARGES TARRIFFS" that Pres. Trump proposed; they are ENJOYING their unfair trade practices against us:

President Trump has just slapped a 25 percent tariff on about $50 billion worth of Chinese products. His complaint is that China imposes significantly higher tariffs on the U.S. than the U.S. imposes on China. According to the World Trade Organization, the president is correct.
    Trump has been relentless in his assertion that China and other nations, including the G-7 countries, are taking advantage of the U.S. For example, in a recent tweet he wrote: “If we charge a country ZERO to sell their goods, and they charge us 25, 50 or even 100 percent to sell ours, it is UNFAIR and can no longer be tolerated. That is not Free or Fair Trade, it is Stupid Trade!”

It’s worth noting that we don’t actually “charge a country” to sell their products in the U.S. A tariff is a tax the U.S. government imposes on U.S. residents if they buy a foreign product or service.

When other countries impose higher tariffs and barriers on U.S. products and services, that action makes our products and services less attractive or less available to foreign consumers. That’s why Trump thinks the U.S. trade deficit is so large. One doesn’t have to be a protectionist to realize the president has a point.

One reason for developing a WTO-type averaging is tariffs are so varied and complicated. A country may have high tariffs on some products — as Canada imposes on dairy imports — and either very low or no tariffs on many others.
    For example, President Trump complains that the E.U. imposes a 10 percent tariff on U.S.-made cars, while the U.S. imposes a 2.5 percent tariff on foreign-made cars. But Trump never mentions the 25 percent tariff the U.S. puts on foreign-made light trucks. And yet Americans buy twice as many trucks as cars, magnifying the impact of the 25 percent foreign-made truck tariff.

So Trump’s point that our trading partners impose higher tariffs and more restrictions than we do appears to be correct, according to the WTO. And those higher tariffs could discourage foreign consumers from buying U.S. products, exacerbating the trade deficit.

http://thehill.com/opinion/internati...higher-tariffs

Sorry, but foreign made trucks lack that special something (size, mostly) that screams "penis extension" - how many non-American trucks do you see on the road? For those that actually need a heavy duty pick-up truck, they don't buy a Mazda, they buy Ford or Dodge.

That part made me laugh.

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,663x in 25,183 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Sorry, but foreign made trucks lack that special something (size, mostly) that screams "penis extension" - how many non-American trucks do you see on the road? For those that actually need a heavy duty pick-up truck, they don't buy a Mazda, they buy Ford or Dodge. That part made me laugh.
    Toyota Tundra..... has become quite popular.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,645x in 56,028 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but foreign made trucks lack that special something (size, mostly) that screams "penis extension" - how many non-American trucks do you see on the road? For those that actually need a heavy duty pick-up truck, they don't buy a Mazda, they buy Ford or Dodge.

That part made me laugh.

I tow a large fifth wheel RV, so I have a Ford F-350 dually. I was in rush hour traffic and stopped. A fat woman going the opposite direction was stooped next to me. She was driving some little POS. She looked up at me and said "does that big truck compensate for some other short coming"? I said " no more than that little POS you're driving is compensating for your fat ass". She didn't laugh.

Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,402x in 27,956 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That part made me laugh.
    I don't need a truck to compensate for my penis size. I need a truck to haul my big balls around.

Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

+ Reply to Thread