Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Canadians will never give up American products

When I moved to New York a decade ago, my family and friends in Canada turned me into their cross-border mule.

It was never drugs, alcohol or cigarettes that I was asked to smuggle across the border to avoid paying a hefty tariff or Canada Customs duty.

It was refrigerator screws, a barbecue cover, and camera and bicycle parts — items that Amazon and other online retailers in the US just don’t bother shipping north of the border because of the myriad and dizzying array of tariffs and taxes that Canada charges its citizens on goods they buy in the U.S.

So when Canadians responded to President Trump’s recent war of words with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over free trade by promising to cancel their US vacations and boycott American products last week, I was skeptical.

While many Canadians are threatening never to consume Kentucky bourbon and Florida oranges, they are unlikely to give up shopping in the US — a pursuit as quintessentially Canadian as curling and maple syrup.

Despite huge tariff barriers and taxes that act as a virtual wall between the world’s longest international border, Canada imported a total of $98.9 billion in products from the US in the first four months of 2018, according to the US Census Bureau.

Skirting those tariffs is a national sport.

My brother has become a master. He once had a rowing machine shipped to my colleague’s tiny Union Square studio apartment, where it languished for days until he made the 10-hour drive each way to haul it back to Ontario in his truck.

He never fully explained how he hid the equipment from Canada Customs officials when he had to drive across the border. But had he shipped it directly to Canada he would have paid exponentially more than the $2,000 sticker price. In fact, it would have cost him an extra $360.08 in federal and provincial taxes, and $169.05 in Canada Customs duty.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/16/why-ca...ican-products/
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-18-2018),HawkTheSlayer (06-17-2018)

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,773
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,009x in 10,721 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canadians come over in droves. I do business with a Canadian firm. Near the factory that produces a kayak named Pelican Kayaks.

Very nice. Their Catch 12 one of the most stable kayaks I've ever been in. And it's a fish f'n slayer.

Sent pic via email to contact and they freaked at the price. It would be cheaper for them to cross the border, drive to the Dicks Sporting Goods I bought mine at, add the rack for your roof, paddle, leash....you'd break even on your helmet. Enjoy our unpotholed roads.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Canadians come over in droves. I do business with a Canadian firm. Near the factory that produces a kayak named Pelican Kayaks.

Very nice. Their Catch 12 one of the most stable kayaks I've ever been in. And it's a fish f'n slayer.

Sent pic via email to contact and they freaked at the price. It would be cheaper for them to cross the border, drive to the Dicks Sporting Goods I bought mine at, add the rack for your roof, paddle, leash....you'd break even on your helmet. Enjoy our unpotholed roads.
    The canadians I know buy tons of stuff when they are here for the winter and ship it back to family in canada.

They send alot of computer parts and weve built computers for canadians and shipped them to canada for them
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (06-17-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Many Canadians already make an effort to buy Canadian. I even have friends who paid a $#@! ton extra for Canadian diamonds for their engagement and wedding rings. Admittedly, I know a surprising amount of legit modern-day hippies who want sustainable, Canadian products. They don't want to fund third world slavery or put money in pockets that aren't Canadian, while also wanting materials and goods that are the least harmful to the environment.

People my grandmother's age? They really don't give a $#@!. They want deals. They hop back and forth across the border every chance they get.

We have been getting screwed for a long time on goods like oil, so the resentment isn't exactly new - but the actions of Trump kind of incensed people. Fair enough. I don't figure that enough people will actually boycott American products. I live in America so I obviously won't be doing that.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    When I moved to New York a decade ago, my family and friends in Canada turned me into their cross-border mule.

It was never drugs, alcohol or cigarettes that I was asked to smuggle across the border to avoid paying a hefty tariff or Canada Customs duty.

It was refrigerator screws, a barbecue cover, and camera and bicycle parts — items that Amazon and other online retailers in the US just don’t bother shipping north of the border because of the myriad and dizzying array of tariffs and taxes that Canada charges its citizens on goods they buy in the U.S.

So when Canadians responded to President Trump’s recent war of words with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over free trade by promising to cancel their US vacations and boycott American products last week, I was skeptical.

While many Canadians are threatening never to consume Kentucky bourbon and Florida oranges, they are unlikely to give up shopping in the US — a pursuit as quintessentially Canadian as curling and maple syrup.

Despite huge tariff barriers and taxes that act as a virtual wall between the world’s longest international border, Canada imported a total of $98.9 billion in products from the US in the first four months of 2018, according to the US Census Bureau.

Skirting those tariffs is a national sport.

My brother has become a master. He once had a rowing machine shipped to my colleague’s tiny Union Square studio apartment, where it languished for days until he made the 10-hour drive each way to haul it back to Ontario in his truck.

He never fully explained how he hid the equipment from Canada Customs officials when he had to drive across the border. But had he shipped it directly to Canada he would have paid exponentially more than the $2,000 sticker price. In fact, it would have cost him an extra $360.08 in federal and provincial taxes, and $169.05 in Canada Customs duty.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/16/why-ca...ican-products/
    He probably used some back road.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,773
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,009x in 10,721 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Many Canadians already make an effort to buy Canadian. I even have friends who paid a $#@! ton extra for Canadian diamonds for their engagement and wedding rings. Admittedly, I know a surprising amount of legit modern-day hippies who want sustainable, Canadian products. They don't want to fund third world slavery or put money in pockets that aren't Canadian, while also wanting materials and goods that are the least harmful to the environment.
    So...they're Canada First? Imagine that. I think that's a good thing, when we Americans use the America First version, the Left don't like it.

People my grandmother's age? They really don't give a $#@!. They want deals. They hop back and forth across the border every chance they get.
    Imagine that. They want to pay a fair price for the products they purchase.

We have been getting screwed for a long time on goods like oil, so the resentment isn't exactly new - but the actions of Trump kind of incensed people. Fair enough. I don't figure that enough people will actually boycott American products. I live in America so I obviously won't be doing that.
    Screwed by who(m)?

+ Reply to Thread