Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,587x in 36,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    The UN estimates that between 20% and 33% of organized crime's revenues come from illicit drug sales. It's also worth noting that there is often significant overlap between their drug sales and other sources of revenue: For example, prostitutes often double as drug-dealers for their clients. And much of organized crime's contract killing and security is tied up in the drug trade. Given that, I think it's safe to assume that legalizing drugs would have a hugely negative effect on their operations. And while it's true that prohibition didn't destroy the mob, it all but eliminated its involvement in the manufacture and distribution of alcohol which, I think we can agree, was a very good thing for society.
    Right. There is money in drugs. Like I said, organized crime is diversified. Contract killing is relatively insignificant regardless of how much overlaps with drug sales and security is immaterial. Tax fraud is huge. So are counterfeiting and arms trafficking all which is noted in your report. There are also a host of other smaller sources of income. The proportions vary by region but the point is that legalizing drugs will hurt organized crime but they'll find other things to do. That's just the way it is and always has been.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-22-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's also note their working definition of organized crime. Basically, if you, Peter and I decided to sell drugs together we would qualify. Also, note that this report makes the same points I do on page 15. Drug trafficking among such groups seems to have peaked in the 1980s and 1990s. There are simply many more business opportunities that carry less risk.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,252
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Right. There is money in drugs. Like I said, organized crime is diversified. Contract killing is relatively insignificant regardless of how much overlaps with drug sales and security is immaterial. Tax fraud is huge. So are counterfeiting and arms trafficking all which is noted in your report. There are also a host of other smaller sources of income. The proportions vary by region but the point is that legalizing drugs will hurt organized crime but they'll find other things to do. That's just the way it is and always has been.
    I disagree, the bulk of their revenue comes from drug trafficking and associated enterprises. Take that away and they lose 90% of their revenue. Their quasi-legal enterprises don't provide enough capital, but do serve to launder their purely illegal gains.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I disagree, the bulk of their money revenue comes from drug trafficking and associated enterprises. Take that away and they lose 90% of their revenue. Their quasi-legal enterprises don't provide enough capital, but do serve to launder their purely illegal gains.
    You can disagree but you would be wrong. Even the U.N. thinks so. Read the report.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Well, that's Italy. Those are blood feuds and syndicate fights. I've seen such articles as well, and it's a damn shame that the American mob was so reduced: they kept the money in this country, the kept the riff-raff under control, and now that they've been weakened, we have MS13 and cartels running our black markets; oh boy!
    I agree to an extent. The Mafia is an evil organization but there is something to the argument that crime, in so far as it must exist, should be controlled.

~Alain de Benoist

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

jet57 (06-22-2018)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think you guys realize how many pies organized crime syndicates have their hands in.

~Alain de Benoist

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-22-2018)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can disagree but you would be wrong. Even the U.N. thinks so. Read the report.
    You are ignoring the overlaps i.e. organized prostitution, gun sales, illegal gambling etc. All of these things require capitalization which comes from illegal drug sales.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    You are ignoring the overlaps i.e. organized prostitution, gun sales, illegal gambling etc. All of these things require capitalization which comes from illegal drug sales.
    Ethereal already drove down that dead end. I'm not sure why this is so hard to accept but organized crime is highly diversified and, as per the U.N., their diversification is increasing. Drug trafficking, which peaked in the 1980s and 1990s as per the U.N., is a lucrative enterprise (albeit a relatively risky one) among others.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gentleme and ladies, relax. This doesn't mean drug legalization isn't a good idea. It just means this particular selling point is...well nonsense. You have better ones. Use them.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ethereal already drove down that dead end. I'm not sure why this is so hard to accept but organized crime is highly diversified and, as per the U.N., their diversification is increasing. Drug trafficking, which peaked in the 1980s and 1990s as per the U.N., is a lucrative enterprise (albeit a relatively risky one) among others.
    I did not imply that the Mafia is not diversified. I suggested that drug sales are the bread and butter line. Envision a pyramid.

Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread