Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone needs to make a current hit covering "Blowing in the Wind"

You likely associate the old 60's protest hit with Bob Dylan or Peter, Paul and Mary but it has been sung by too many artist to name including Cher and Elvis. It has been done in a dozen or more languages but some of you have probably barely ever heard it. I'd like to see that change.
    I'm wondering what some of today's artist could do with it. I'm not sure if Little Big Town can go that soft but if the song didn't offend Eddy Arnold's fans it should not offend theirs as long as they make it clear that they respect the foot soldier. Alison Krauss would be my first choice though. She would kill it, like she does everything she sings and she is that type of non-sell out singer this song deserves.
    Any other ideas who could make this peace song climb the charts again for a new generation? Either here or abroad or hopefully both?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,250x in 27,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    You likely associate the old 60's protest hit with Bob Dylan or Peter, Paul and Mary but it has been sung by too many artist to name including Cher and Elvis. It has been done in a dozen or more languages but some of you have probably barely ever heard it. I'd like to see that change.
    I'm wondering what some of today's artist could do with it. I'm not sure if Little Big Town can go that soft but if the song didn't offend Eddy Arnold's fans it should not offend theirs as long as they make it clear that they respect the foot soldier. Alison Krauss would be my first choice though. She would kill it, like she does everything she sings and she is that type of non-sell out singer this song deserves.
    Any other ideas who could make this peace song climb the charts again for a new generation? Either here or abroad or hopefully both?
    World affairs?

Fascinating. What is the connection to world affairs?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    World affairs?

Fascinating. What is the connection to world affairs?
    If that is not obvious to you no amount of explaining it to you would work. But I'll try anyway.

World at war meet war protest/ peace song. I'm guessing you'll be the only one not to get the connection though. Nuff said.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is not obvious to you no amount of explaining it to you would work. But I'll try anyway.

World at war meet war protest/ peace song. I'm guessing you'll be the only one not to get the connection though. Nuff said.
    The world is not at war.

What audience was Blowin in the Wind written for?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world is not at war.

What audience was Blowin in the Wind written for?

The world being at war is not the same as a world war and you know exactly what audience the song was written for. The voices of social change in the 60's. Nobody here believes you are this obtuse. But you apparently believe we have members who are who's support you can garner against this post by pretending not to get the obvious.
    I think more highly of our membership, however if there is a single member who truly cannot make these easy connections they are not MY audience.
    As soon as I next see him I will test my 12 year old grandson to see if he gets these connections. I know he will get them quickly and I suspect he will be offended that I would even question him as to whether or not he did.
    SOOO, if you're anti-peace man up and say so but please stop insulting my intelligence and your own with this " ah shucks what does that concept mean " crap.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (06-22-2018)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world being at war is not the same as a world war and you know exactly what audience the song was written for. The voices of social change in the 60's. Nobody here believes you are this obtuse. But you apparently believe we have members who are who's support you can garner against this post by pretending not to get the obvious.
    I think more highly of our membership, however if there is a single member who truly cannot make these easy connections they are not MY audience.
    As soon as I next see him I will test my 12 year old grandson to see if he gets these connections. I know he will get them quickly and I suspect he will be offended that I would even question him as to whether or not he did.
    SOOO, if you're anti-peace man up and say so but please stop insulting my intelligence and your own with this " ah shucks what does that concept mean " crap.
    I see.

The world is not at war.

The intended audience was idiot Americans easily swayed during the 1960s.

World affairs, indeed.

Thanks.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see.

The world is not at war.

The intended audience was idiot Americans easily swayed during the 1960s.

World affairs, indeed.

Thanks.
    How many countries are we involved in militarily? How many countries are experiencing war zone situations? The world is at war as much as it has been since WW 2 if not more considering how many more people are alive today. The social movers of the 60's were not idiots they simply understood compassion and empathy. Sad that you lack the human ability to feel these things at a deep level.
    So nuff said, everyone else knows that a post about a world peace song belongs in WA.
    Mods please review and if MV is right and I am wrong feel free to move this post. Care to wager on that happening MV?
    I really wanted this thread to be something else and still do.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many countries are we involved in militarily? How many countries are experiencing war zone situations? The world is at war as much as it has been since WW 2 if not more considering how many more people are alive today. The social movers of the 60's were not idiots they simply understood compassion and empathy. Sad that you lack the human ability to feel these things at a deep level.
    So nuff said, everyone else knows that a post about a world peace song belongs in WA.
    Mods please review and if MV is right and I am wrong feel free to move this post. Care to wager on that happening MV?
    I really wanted this thread to be something else and still do.
    The world is not at war.

I don't care if this thread is moved. I was amused that you believed it is a world affair.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world is not at war.

I don't care if this thread is moved. I was amused that you believed it is a world affair.

In keeping with the musical theme "Yakety Yak, Don't talk Back" LOL
    Look I talk in terms of quantitative questions and answers while you keep restating the same opinion. I know you're just trying to blow up the thread and I have let you do so, until now.

Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

William (06-23-2018)

+ Reply to Thread