User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How could someone confess to a crime they didn't commit? Watch 'The Confession Tapes

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,040x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry How could someone confess to a crime they didn't commit? Watch 'The Confession Tapes

How could someone confess to a crime they didn't commit? Watch 'The Confession Tapes' and see. SPOILER ALERT: FALSE CONFESSIONS ARE REAL. According to www.FalseConfessions.org, “since the late 1980s, six studies alone have documented approximately 250 interrogation-induced false confessions.” Moreover, almost 30 percent of DNA exoneration cases involved defendants who made incriminating statements, actually confessed to the crime, or ultimately plead guilty.
    How could someone confess to a crime they didn't commit? Watch 'The Confession Tapes' and see

I'm a law and order guy, but I'm also a Blackstone's formula guy:

Attachment 23714
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-22-2018),Common (06-22-2018),Lummy (07-21-2018)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course false confessions are real for a variety of reasons, ill list a couple

Taking the rap for a loved one
    Taking the rap because you fear for your life or your loved ones.
    Being a hero and taking the rap for friends.

Then theres the nutjobs that confess to the very most serious crimes after they hit the paper.

During the Son of Sam serial killings NYPD had false confessions in the dozens taking claim to being the Son of Sam
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-22-2018)

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Major Lambda's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 266x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Of course false confessions are real for a variety of reasons, ill list a couple

Taking the rap for a loved one
    Taking the rap because you fear for your life or your loved ones.
    Being a hero and taking the rap for friends.

Then theres the nutjobs that confess to the very most serious crimes after they hit the paper.

During the Son of Sam serial killings NYPD had false confessions in the dozens taking claim to being the Son of Sam

You forgot a few.

Three hots and a cot ( your poor and destitute ) , to cover up or conceal another crime, to relieve the cops of the true person and motive , to prevent the police from investigating further and finding real truth that you want concealed.

M-L
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,040x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Lambda View Post
    You forgot a few. Three hots and a cot ( your poor and destitute ) , to cover up or conceal another crime, to relieve the cops of the true person and motive , to prevent the police from investigating further and finding real truth that you want concealed.

M-L
    The LEOs are pretty good at sniffing these out.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Major Lambda's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 266x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    The LEOs are pretty good at sniffing these out.

Nothing personal, but lawyers ( Defense and the Prosecution ) have to be investigators also.

One set of eyes may see what another set of eyes missed. So, you need good investigators. All need to meet, discuss the case, what ifs and what fors. The evidence at hand and interview results. Theorys and hypothesis , reason for action, and if the crime seems to fit the accused in the opinion of the investigators and prosecution.

We would not want an uneducated perp, pulling the wool over the eyes of some smart and educated lawyers now would we?

Perps try to outsmart cops and prosecution. Perps try to not act scared and intimidated.

##### Lives are on the line. Family sanity and well being is on the line. Justice is in question. Sending the right person to an incarceration facility is imperative. The investigation , trial and sentencing is more....much more and deeper a responsibility, than only the police officers #####

I've worked around lawyers before. I've met some good ones and I've met some bad ones. Opposing counsel shreds a witness, and defense counsel let's them. Civil rights get violated.....witness gets harassed and intimidated and defense counsel let it happen. Prejudicial and biased thinking and it happens in everyday America. Legal professionals stand by idly and do the very least their job requires.

Kind of like in the movie " A Few Good Men". Demi Moore asks Tom Cruise in the beginning " I'd like to know why two Marines are in jail, and their lawyer is out hitting a ball."

I can relate to that.

I've been to a lot of places, and seen many things both good and bad. Some lawyers have a bad reputation and as so are named " Bottom Feeders ". Illusionists at their best, David Copperfield has nothing on them. I'm sure you know and can relate to me saying so.

Other counsel is good at their job, diligent and full of integrity. Excellent investigators.

But one lawyer, does not meet with another lawyer for dinner and drinks before the defendant has had their say.....because lawyers have already decided the case before they even see the judge. Guilty and not guilty is decided in a court of law, and a defendant / witness has a right to a viable and thorough, competant defense.

Court cases are not decided over dinner, or at the boat dock relaxing and sipping a cold one.

I'm suspicious. I'm doubtful. I am that way because of experience and the events and conversation I have witnessed, as well as the jurisprudance raping of accused individuals, where the law and its investigation of events and incidences, was not impartial. I have witnessed where the accused was deemed guilty , instead of being presumed innocent until found guilty in a court of law.

I have known some great investigators, and I have known some very poor ones.

In society Mr.Utley, you have the good and the bad. But one thing some legal professionals forget at times is that Lady Justice is blind, the Bill of Rights, and humanity. And they forget how to do a thorough and accurate investigation where the truth is what really matters, not the theory and hypothesis of legal counsel .

Major Lambda
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Moreover, almost 30 percent of DNA exoneration cases involved defendants who made incriminating statements, actually confessed to the crime, or ultimately plead guilty.
    That's very high.

+ Reply to Thread