Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    See post #17.
    Im not going to look at anything, I told you the way it is, now im done here
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,379x in 15,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    If only! Unfortunately, the rules prohibit discussions of moderation and moderators generally, regardless of how clear, concise, or civil that discussion may be.

Actually, there is no such prohibition. When someone gets shutdown for that, it is an arbitrary and capricious act and an overreach and an abuse of "authority".
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Not a question of courage, heres a better idea, ask the right person that question, the only one that can actually do what you want, moderators cant make that decision, and when you ask the admin also ask him to give moderators the right to defend themselves.

Since you guys have a direct conduit to him, why don't you ask him? It would be good for the forum.

Aside from that you have the hole where you can bash moderators and moderation till your heart flutters and we wont respond.

That is the problem. If there is no dialogue, no problems are solved. It needs to be a two way discussion.
    Last edited by Cletus; 12-02-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    There will be no more posts in the hole from moderators, unless you make an aggregious post like bring someones family into it or threatening their person, making outright racist statements, posting PMs, then they will moderate it.

Moderators will no longer respond to personal insults in the hole or their being bashed. So go have fun bash away
    Saying “there will be no more posts” means that there are posts there now, just that moving forward mods will not post there. Thanks for proving I was right, I know it was hard to swallow.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,092x in 12,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Actually, there is no such prohibition. When someone gets shutdown for that, it is an arbitrary and capricious act and an overreach and an abuse of "authority".
    On those rare occasions when a Moderator has clearly abused his or her authority, or is behaving on the open forum in a way that brings discredit upon not only him- or herself but on the entire Mod team and the board itself, there should be a mechanism for bringing this to everyone's attention - not just the suggestion that we go meekly, hat in hand, to the offending party in a PM, or complain to Admin, etc. At present, as Ethereal has suggested, there is no practical way to accomplish this in most situations without getting shut down.

When a regular member crosses the line, he or she is slapped on the wrist in a very public way; bad behavior by Moderators (and Advisors) should be dealt with in every bit as transparent a fashion.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (12-03-2019)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an idea... Suspend your rules for a day and let people speak their minds honestly and without fear of repercussion. After all, the mod team has demonstrated on more than one occasion that they often have difficulty reading plain English and take what is written to mean whatever they want it to mean, regardless of what it actually says.

Do you have the courage and the desire for truth necessary to do that?
    Why in the world would we need to suspend rules that say we should limit profane attacks on indviduals that have nothing to do with the topics. If you cant do that maybe the issue is you not the rules.

You are welcome to send me any vile, profane, juvenile PM you like. That way it is out of the public forum. It truly wont bother me. Now be advised I am not going to read it and certainly not going to respond to it.. but you are more than welcome to send it without reprucussion.
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral Ackbar For This Useful Post:

Agent Zero (12-02-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,042x in 24,876 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    On those rare occasions when a Moderator has clearly abused his or her authority, or is behaving on the open forum in a way that brings discredit upon not only him- or herself but on the entire Mod team and the board itself, there should be a mechanism for bringing this to everyone's attention - not just the suggestion that we go meekly, hat in hand, to the offending party in a PM, or complain to Admin, etc. At present, as Ethereal has suggested, there is no practical way to accomplish this in most situations without getting shut down. When a regular member crosses the line, he or she is slapped on the wrist in a very public way; bad behavior by Moderators (and Advisors) should be dealt with in every bit as transparent a fashion.
    1. "...has clearly abused his or her authority.." -- as determined by whom? You realize the reports that we get and/or the complaints that we get claiming that we've abused our authority? 99.99999% of them would be viewed by any reasonably sane person as argle-bargle. So, who determines?

2. Given that, isn't The Hole the place for that? I don't think you'll find a Mod going into The Hole to argue with you about their conduct. I looked, there are countless threads on Mod behavior in The Hole.

3. Mods should be held to at a minimum the same standard. At a minimum.
    Last edited by DGUtley; 12-02-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    On those rare occasions when a Moderator has clearly abused his or her authority, or is behaving on the open forum in a way that brings discredit upon not only him- or herself but on the entire Mod team and the board itself, there should be a mechanism for bringing this to everyone's attention - not just the suggestion that we go meekly, hat in hand, to the offending party in a PM, or complain to Admin, etc. At present, as Ethereal has suggested, there is no practical way to accomplish this in most situations without getting shut down.

When a regular member crosses the line, he or she is slapped on the wrist in a very public way; bad behavior by Moderators (and Advisors) should be dealt with in every bit as transparent a fashion.

I concur.

I think moderators should be able to act unilaterally. If they see a problem, they should not have to go to committee to correct it. At the same time, if it is believed a moderator made a bad call or acted inappropriately, there should be a mechanism for review and appeal. During that process, both the moderator and the poster involved should be able to make their respective cases in an open format, with the final decision being made by someone designated specifically to oversee the moderation process... a Chief Moderator, if you will. I would suggest someone like DGUTLEY or Common for that role.

I also think moderators should be assigned specific forums to moderate and they should be required to read every post in every active thread in those forums. This business of waiting until they receive a "report" is nonsense. Also, unless the offense is particularly egregious (physical threats, defamation of family members, things of that nature), there should never be thread ban without an opportunity being provided to self correct the offensive behavior (a warning).

You and I have both moderated forums much larger in membership and more active than this. It really is not rocket science.

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you guys have a direct conduit to him, why don't you ask him? It would be good for the forum.

That is the problem. If there is no dialogue, no problems are solved. It needs to be a two way discussion.
    If you have a question feel free to PM me and Ill answer you. If you want a day to bash everyone on the forum and tell them what you think of them and they you in return you will have to ask the admin yourself. You have the same conduit I have PM
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    Saying “there will be no more posts” means that there are posts there now, just that moving forward mods will not post there. Thanks for proving I was right, I know it was hard to swallow.
    Safety you always think your right, the problem is most others do not, you may think whatever it is that makes you happy
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Closed Thread