User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Seattle bans plastic straws, utensils, becoming first major US city to do so

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, paper is made from wood chips, which are renewable and from old rags, which are recycled. Paper straws, cups and plates were forced off the market because low information dumb asses believed we were destroying the forest by making paper.

No, I realize people from Thailand are not dumping their trash in our mountain streams (at least not to any great number), the trash is being dumped by litterbugs fishing and hiking in the mountains. I also know that the trash in these trout streams is not making its way down to the Atlantic and killing whales and manatees.

Something should be done to stop litterbugs, there are $3000.00 fines if you are caught littering in the mountains but people do it anyway, a small percentage of people I might add. You could, I suppose, do like was done in high school and punish the entire class for the transgressions of a few

Everything that we do has pluses and minuses. What pisses a lot of people off is people like yourself only see the minuses no matter what steps are taken. And the way to solve the problem is more laws and rules and things that just won't make any difference.

What exactly is the point of Seattle outlawing plastic when they account for less than 1/10 of one percent of all the pollution in the ocean. Fine those people who are emptying their ash trays at stop signs, or throwing fast food trash out their car but don't punish the bulk of the people who are not doing these things.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-03-2018)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this picture in my mind of some trendy food truck with stainless steel forks chained to the exterior of the truck every two feet or so (so the forks don't go missing) with customers using them. It would make a good cartoon with the recent edict in the caption. lol

You can make serviceable biodegradable utensils from paper.

There is this
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,459x in 13,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    According to recent studies 90% of the plastic finding its way into the world's oceans comes from China and East Africa. How will banning plastic items in Seattle address that?
    For liberals, it is never about actually solving any problems. It's all about control.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-03-2018),MisterVeritis (07-03-2018),nathanbforrest45 (07-02-2018)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Chloe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,024x in 5,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am sorry Chloe if I don't automatically believe anything done is "all good". I don't believe Seattle banning plastic utensils is going to have a earth shaking impact on pollution. It may be a start in the same way building a wall to keep out the South American invasion we are currently experiencing is a start.

Most of the pollution in the ocean does not come from Seattle or even the state of Washington or even the West Coast of the United States. It comes from developing countries who are far more concerned about feeding the millions of their citizens then anything approaching a concern about the environment.

As far as the unicorn and rainbow statement I stand by it. Don't pretend telling McDonald's or Starbucks they can't use plastic straws is going to start a world wide movement. It isn't. Its posturing.

I just read the last line of your post... use metal in place of plastic or paper? Now that is some funny stuff, like using metal has absolutely no impact on the environment. No wonder you believe in this crap.
    I am aware that most ocean plastics do not originate in Seattle, but that's not the point that i'm trying to make and you know it. Seattle is the first major city in the US to ban select single-use plastics that are mass produced and used by the millions across the PNW, billions if you go through the year. By doing what they are doing, and once other communities near and around the Seattle city limits do the same there will literally be billions of single use plastics that aren't going to landfill, that aren't contaminating recycling facilities, and that aren't doing damage to ecosystems both local and abroad. If you take just the waste aspect of this change it is hugely impactful for that area of the country. As more major cities follow suit it means billions upon billions of single use plastics will no longer be produced or consumed by millions of people. You times that effort by a few dozen major cities and you have a national movement. As other countries, such as developing countries in southeast Asia, receive help from non-profits, companies, and government to help update their infrastructure and reduce consumption then you may start to see change.

As for McDonalds and Starbucks they are two out of many that are beginning to participate in these movements. I challenge you to go to almost any major corporations website and read their sustainability efforts. You will see that it's not some little side project anymore like what you probably remember it being. It's becoming a new demand from consumers. Starbucks is feeling tons of pressure to be more sustainable as are many other companies. Many companies are literally becoming the benchmark with their sustainability initiatives and are inspiring others.

As for the metal straw comment you know as well as I do that I wasnt saying to replace plastic straws with metal ones. The first choice is to not ask for or use a straw to begin with, but if you want to then using something that is reusable should be that first choice. A steel straw is something that you can reuse time and time again. I keep one in my purse. It's better than the half billion plastic straws being used in the US ever day right now that ends up in a landfill or out in nature. Wouldn't you agree?
    Alaska Born ~ Oregon Grown

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Chloe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,024x in 5,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also, paper is made from wood chips, which are renewable and from old rags, which are recycled. Paper straws, cups and plates were forced off the market because low information dumb asses believed we were destroying the forest by making paper.

No, I realize people from Thailand are not dumping their trash in our mountain streams (at least not to any great number), the trash is being dumped by litterbugs fishing and hiking in the mountains. I also know that the trash in these trout streams is not making its way down to the Atlantic and killing whales and manatees.

Something should be done to stop litterbugs, there are $3000.00 fines if you are caught littering in the mountains but people do it anyway, a small percentage of people I might add. You could, I suppose, do like was done in high school and punish the entire class for the transgressions of a few

Everything that we do has pluses and minuses. What pisses a lot of people off is people like yourself only see the minuses no matter what steps are taken. And the way to solve the problem is more laws and rules and things that just won't make any difference.

What exactly is the point of Seattle outlawing plastic when they account for less than 1/10 of one percent of all the pollution in the ocean. Fine those people who are emptying their ash trays at stop signs, or throwing fast food trash out their car but don't punish the bulk of the people who are not doing these things.
    Because the impact is not just on oceans, and single use plastics are numbering in the billions in the US alone.
    Last edited by Chloe; 07-02-2018 at 08:46 PM.
    Alaska Born ~ Oregon Grown

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compostable biodegradable cutlery

https://www.ecoproductsstore.com/com...kit-green.html
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Lol, 13 bucks with shipping, for 24 utensils. I don't think so.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Lol, 13 bucks with shipping, for 24 utensils. I don't think so.
    Walmart sells 100 packs for $19. I just linked one of the many sources out there. It's up to Seattle eateries to pay the price and jack their customers with higher menu prices.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Walmart sells 100 packs for $19. I just linked one of the many sources out there. It's up to Seattle eateries to pay the price and jack their customers with higher menu prices.
    I can get 100 pack of plastic at Walmart for under 4 bucks.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I can get 100 pack of plastic at Walmart for under 4 bucks.
    To clarify. for eco-wiener places like Seattle there are alternatives. The rest of the people will continue use plastic, like me, and drive our truck to a BBQ tomorrow using plastic disposable everything.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-03-2018),countryboy (07-03-2018)

+ Reply to Thread