User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 79

Thread: Democracy Or Constitutional Republic?

  1. #61
    Points: 413,019, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390679
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    137,320
    Points
    413,019
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,136
    Thanked 38,247x in 28,317 Posts
    Mentioned
    1624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Words mean things, Alice.
    They mean what people mean by using them. People uses words like representational democracy to mean things. We all know that but you seem to deny it,

    Why argue words, why not argue what people mean?
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  2. #62
    Points: 88,031, Level: 72
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,719
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    281669
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    43,340
    Points
    88,031
    Level
    72
    Thanks Given
    30,967
    Thanked 13,030x in 10,142 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    They mean what people mean by using them. People uses words like representational democracy to mean things. We all know that but you seem to deny it,

    Why argue words, why not argue what people mean?
    You are just like Alice. She too said words meant precisely what she meant them to mean.

    You are lazy. A democracy is the opposite of a republic. Making a nonsense phrase rather than correcting the error is foolish and short-sighted.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

  3. #63
    Points: 14,339, Level: 28
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    2925
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South Carolina now.
    Posts
    6,779
    Points
    14,339
    Level
    28
    Thanks Given
    9,816
    Thanked 2,915x in 2,233 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    My point was that a republican form of government doesn't mean you cannot also use direct democracy for some measures.
    Of course you can.

    Most people say we're a democracy because we vote. It's not the big deal people make of it. It changes nothing.

    Word Nazi's get off on the strangest thing.
    Last edited by Captdon; 07-12-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Democrats are a clear and present danger to our democracy and our society.

  4. #64
    Points: 413,019, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390679
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    137,320
    Points
    413,019
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,136
    Thanked 38,247x in 28,317 Posts
    Mentioned
    1624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Of course you can.

    Most people say we're a democracy because we vote. It's not the big deal people make of it. It changes nothing.

    Word Nazi's get off on the strangest thing.

    Lots of words like that--fascist, white nationalist, some liberals are trying to change the meaning of snowflake.

    From all I've seen, democracy and republic were distinct when applied to classical Greeks and then Romans. Of course, the Founders meant, and described distinct forms of government, when they used democracy and republic. Around the 1950s the distinction disappeared. Democracy as a type simply became rule by the people, with different forms distinguishing how the people ruled, directly or representationally--representational tends to mean parliamentary government in countries that use that form, tends to mean presidental in cases like the US--just the word used to distinguish.

    I think people can be ambiguous in a sneaky way. Others authrotiarian in insistence. People should just be more like the founders and define in text what specifically they mean, like Madison here:

    A pure Democracy, by which I mean a Society consisting of a small number of citizens, who assemble and administer the Government in person, can admit of no cure for the mischiefs of faction. A common passion or interest will, in almost every case, be felt by a majority of the whole; a communication and concert result from the form of Government itself; and there is nothing to check the inducements to sacrifice the weaker party, or an obnoxious individual. Hence it is, that such Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security, or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives, as they have been violent in their deaths.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (07-12-2018)

  6. #65
    Points: 88,031, Level: 72
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,719
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    281669
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    43,340
    Points
    88,031
    Level
    72
    Thanks Given
    30,967
    Thanked 13,030x in 10,142 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Lots of words like that--fascist, white nationalist, some liberals are trying to change the meaning of snowflake.

    From all I've seen, democracy and republic were distinct when applied to classical Greeks and then Romans. Of course, the Founders meant, and described distinct forms of government, when they used democracy and republic. Around the 1950s the distinction disappeared. Democracy as a type simply became rule by the people, with different forms distinguishing how the people ruled, directly or representationally--representational tends to mean parliamentary government in countries that use that form, tends to mean presidental in cases like the US--just the word used to distinguish.

    I think people can be ambiguous in a sneaky way. Others authrotiarian in insistence. People should just be more like the founders and define in text what specifically they mean, like Madison here:
    A representative republic has little to do with Presidents. It has to do with how we make laws. Under a democracy, all eligible voters convene, write the laws, vote on them and pass or reject them. In a representative republic, the people vote for representatives who convene to write and pass or reject the laws.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (07-12-2018)

  8. #66
    Points: 413,019, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390679
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    137,320
    Points
    413,019
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,136
    Thanked 38,247x in 28,317 Posts
    Mentioned
    1624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    A representative republic has little to do with Presidents. It has to do with how we make laws. Under a democracy, all eligible voters convene, write the laws, vote on them and pass or reject them. In a representative republic, the people vote for representatives who convene to write and pass or reject the laws.

    I'm just repeating things I read all over the place. The label is meant to simply distinguish from parliamentary systems. Sorry it doesn't fit within the confines of your view.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  9. #67
    Points: 8,717, Level: 22
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Carlsen's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    333
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ragnarök
    Posts
    630
    Points
    8,717
    Level
    22
    Thanks Given
    11
    Thanked 126x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .
    parliamentary government this is much more democratic then presidential elected government



    .
    .
    Human rights are praised more than ever and violated as much as ever - Anna Lindh
    .
    Once, mankind accepted a simple truth: that they were not alone in this universe. And though we have fallen into man's myths and legends, it was Asgard and its warriors that brought peace to the universe - Odin
    .
    ICELAND ARRESTS ROTHSCHILD BANKERS
    http://itmakessenseblog.com/2012/06/18/global-elites-thrown-out-of-iceland-iceland-dismantles-corrupt-govt-then-arrests-all-rothschild-bankers/


  10. #68
    Points: 14,339, Level: 28
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    2925
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South Carolina now.
    Posts
    6,779
    Points
    14,339
    Level
    28
    Thanks Given
    9,816
    Thanked 2,915x in 2,233 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen View Post
    .
    parliamentary government this is much more democratic then presidential elected government



    .
    How.
    Democrats are a clear and present danger to our democracy and our society.

  11. #69
    Points: 88,031, Level: 72
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,719
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    281669
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    43,340
    Points
    88,031
    Level
    72
    Thanks Given
    30,967
    Thanked 13,030x in 10,142 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'm just repeating things I read all over the place. The label is meant to simply distinguish from parliamentary systems. Sorry it doesn't fit within the confines of your view.
    You are lazy. I suppose I should find a Latin phrase to describe you. That way it might sink in.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

  12. #70
    Points: 413,019, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390679
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    137,320
    Points
    413,019
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,136
    Thanked 38,247x in 28,317 Posts
    Mentioned
    1624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    You are lazy. I suppose I should find a Latin phrase to describe you. That way it might sink in.
    Like ad hom. That, arguing logical fallacies, is lazy thinking.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO