User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Slackware users? A novice wants to know.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    DLLS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 547x in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay back to Slackware.

I believe it is possible instead of just a dual boot utilizing the hard drive(s) on a desktop (or notebook) that it would be possible to dual boot utilizing the option of creating a boot floppy (thus not leaving a trace on the master boot record of the hard drive) and having the Slackware operating system and files on say a USB Western Digital Passport drive that one could store, along with the boot floppy, away from the computer thus prohibiting personal data from being known about.

What I am getting at is, and I have not tried this because currently when I boot up the lilo boot loader is part of the master boot record (MBR) and I am presented with a screen to choose Windows or Linux, that if I used the option to create a boot floppy if the floppy is inserted then and only then would I get the option to choose Windows or Linux. Without the floppy inserted the system would check drive A: and finding no floppy would boot normally from drive C: automatically loading Windows.

Security of the removable drive could be further increased by using TrueCrypt (though last time I was on the TrueCrypt site there was a notification that they stopped upgrading the software and encouraged people to use the native windows file encryption program like I trust Bill Gates) to encrypt the entire drive.

Of course one would not want to neglect going into the CMOS or BIOS set up program on the computer and setting a password the computer needs before it even attempts to look for the operating system. This is not a fool proof security measure because 1) Fools are so ingenious and 2) all it takes to reset the master password is to remove the computer cover and move a jumper.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLS View Post
    Okay back to Slackware.

I believe it is possible instead of just a dual boot utilizing the hard drive(s) on a desktop (or notebook) that it would be possible to dual boot utilizing the option of creating a boot floppy (thus not leaving a trace on the master boot record of the hard drive) and having the Slackware operating system and files on say a USB Western Digital Passport drive that one could store, along with the boot floppy, away from the computer thus prohibiting personal data from being known about.

What I am getting at is, and I have not tried this because currently when I boot up the lilo boot loader is part of the master boot record (MBR) and I am presented with a screen to choose Windows or Linux, that if I used the option to create a boot floppy if the floppy is inserted then and only then would I get the option to choose Windows or Linux. Without the floppy inserted the system would check drive A: and finding no floppy would boot normally from drive C: automatically loading Windows.

Security of the removable drive could be further increased by using TrueCrypt (though last time I was on the TrueCrypt site there was a notification that they stopped upgrading the software and encouraged people to use the native windows file encryption program like I trust Bill Gates) to encrypt the entire drive.

Of course one would not want to neglect going into the CMOS or BIOS set up program on the computer and setting a password the computer needs before it even attempts to look for the operating system. This is not a fool proof security measure because 1) Fools are so ingenious and 2) all it takes to reset the master password is to remove the computer cover and move a jumper.
    Puppy Linux.

Or get larger USB drive and install Ubuntu and encrypt home folder.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    DLLS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 547x in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Puppy Linux.

Or get larger USB drive and install Ubuntu and encrypt home folder.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    Slacko Pup is how I got started. I thought why use a live CD of puppy or install puppy when I could install the full version.

+ Reply to Thread