Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Look at how this works, Polly such a classic example. This is pure fascism 101, it's a beautiful illustration.

The "first instinct" is to believe the woman, forget innocence until proven guilty. After all, Polly is "just reading up on this story within the last 24 hours" so it's time to kneejerk react and throw opinion.

Then...."there rarely turns out to be just one accuser"...….any "first one tends to embolden more"...…..so...."based on that pattern"...…..Polly is "hardly convinced this is an isolated incident."

This Dude....is already guilty...and there is little chance there aren't more victims.

This after just the last 24 hours of Polly "reading up."

I submit to you BLM, MeToo. This is exactly the herd mentality I speak to over and over and over again.

Nicely done, Polly. Not that I needed a perfect illustration, but as far as my point goes here, you are that perfect illustration.

Wow. Fascism with a capital f'n F.
    Mr. Trudeau is being subjected here to the court of public opinion, not a court of law. We needn't conflate the two. I am allowed to have instincts in the court of public opinion.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,125
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,098x in 10,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Mr. Trudeau is being subjected here to the court of public opinion, not a court of law. We needn't conflate the two. I am allowed to have instincts in the court of public opinion.
    I'm not denying you your "instincts" at all and understand it's all about the court of public opinion. Every reason to add that it's rare these are isolated. You reread your bullshiit there, Polly. No one takes from anything but you're nearly convinced of the man's guilt...and that there will be more women coming forward who were victimized. This is how fascism works, you're a perfect example of it here. Keep f'n digging.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,125
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,098x in 10,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "subjected" to the court of public opinion?

Right out of the Fascist playbook, Polly!

Please, carry on. You're the perfect posterboard for your Cause.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,472x in 20,424 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dr. Strangelove;2375819]
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    We all did things in the past we are not proud of. Some of it we bury deep enough that we hope no one else remembers or dig up.
    Our mistakes make us what we are today. I, too, had done some things I'd rather forget, but it is still part of stj's experiences and I know what not to do today. The absolute worse was during my time in 'Nam.............and the few years after getting out.[/QUOTE

Tell us your Nam story! I love Nam stories!
    no
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 3,963
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,647x in 14,858 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I probably did some things in college that I'm not too proud of.

I probably might have maybe done the same. But if I did I doubt anyone remembered it 18 years later. The Canadian PM must be a top notch groper!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just reading up on this story now in a handful of different places, as apparently it has broken within just the last 24 hours, but since my input has been directly requested, honestly it is my first instinct to believe this woman. Trudeau says that she "perceived [his actions] in a different way that I acted or how I experienced it". You know how many times we've heard that same line now since the Me Too movement entered the cultural mainstream last fall? That justification hasn't exactly gotten more believable to me with repetition. The fact that he acknowledges that the incident happened is something to be taken note of here. Neither he nor his accuser are in disagreement about that.

I would also observe that there rarely turns out to be just one accuser in these sorts of cases. The first one tends to embolden more to go public with their own stories. Based on that pattern, I'm also hardly convinced that this was just an isolated incident. I would speculate that we may well see more, similar stories about Mr. Trudeau's behavior toward women becoming public in the coming days and weeks. Maybe even a lot more. We need to take these matters seriously.
    How do we pare the chafe from the wheat? Do we hold the accused in jail until they are exonerated? What happens if the claims are false?
    How does one restore the falsely accused to their previous station? Or is that irrelevant?
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    How do we pare the chafe from the wheat? Do we hold the accused in jail until they are exonerated? What happens if the claims are false?
    How does one restore the falsely accused to their previous station? Or is that irrelevant?
    Let's scale back the drama a little! Like 99% of the men who have accused of this type of sexually predatory behavior, Mr. Trudeau is not in jail or under any form of legal prosecution for his actions. What he is being subjected to is the court of public opinion. That is all.

If there turn out to be enough accusers down the road, it is possible that he might possibly be called upon to resign his position at some point eventually. It's unlikely that he would accede to any such calls or wind up stepping down, given his top governing position, but still, if there turn out to be enough accusers then the call may go out. Honestly though, unless he gets accused of something like completed rape then I don't foresee there ever being a call for his legal prosecution. Accused predators, at the very most, tend to lose their jobs and reputations (as do their accusers as well, incidentally), and often only very temporarily. They almost never go to jail. Not unless either rape is among the allegations or unless the number of accusers exceeds several dozen. So let's not pretend like it's the Holocaust for men or something. How about that? How would that be?
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 07-08-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 3,963
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,647x in 14,858 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    ...No, I'm confident that I did some things in college that I'm not too proud of. I just can't remember what they are.....
    Blackouts can be either cruel or kind. But in general I hope they ended in college. Mine got worse , hence many years of sobriety.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I'm not denying you your "instincts" at all and understand it's all about the court of public opinion. Every reason to add that it's rare these are isolated. You reread your bullshiit there, Polly. No one takes from anything but you're nearly convinced of the man's guilt...and that there will be more women coming forward who were victimized. This is how fascism works, you're a perfect example of it here. Keep f'n digging.
    In fact sexual harassment is so rare and isolated that 81% of women in this country (as well as a not-inconsiderable 43% of men, incidentally) report having experienced it before to pollsters. Talk about rare!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's scale back the drama a little! Like 99% of the men who have accused of this type of sexually predatory behavior, Mr. Trudeau is not in jail or under any form of legal prosecution for his actions. What he is being subjected to is the court of public opinion. That is all.

If there turn out to be enough accusers down the road, it is possible that he might possibly be called upon to resign his position at some point eventually. It's unlikely that he would accede to any such calls or wind up stepping down, given his top governing position, but still, if there turn out to be enough accusers then the call may go out. Honestly though, unless he gets accused of something like completed rape then I don't foresee there ever being a call for his legal prosecution. Accused predators, at the very most, tend to lose their jobs and reputations (as do their accusers as well, incidentally), and often only very temporarily. They almost never go to jail. Not unless either rape is among the allegations or unless the number of accusers exceeds several dozen. So let's not pretend like it's the Holocaust for men or something. How about that? How would that be?
    A number of years back, there was a school teacher in Fort Wayne that was accused by three girls. Once it got to court, it was determined that these three girls were BFF's who were failing his class. He had turned one in for cheating on a midterm. Shortly after that, he was arrested and charged with improper personal contact with three minors. the prosecutor made a big deal of it, public exposure and all that. He bailed out to the tune of 10,000 dollars. Banks wouldn't give him a home loan on a paid for house.(Democrat, btw)
    Eventually he was cleared when the girls got caught lying on the stand. Their claim evaporated in minutes.
    The teacher was out about 30,000 dollars for his defense. He had lost his job and the schools pulled his status (no job)
    The girls were never charged, even tho the judge recommended it to the prosecutor.
    His neighbors who had shunned him during the process were angry because he had prevailed.
    He had to sell his home and move his family to another state.
    Now you tell me how this is righteous...........
    He has never been restored to his former status over a false claim.
    and you say so what......................this is insignificant...............
    - Thucydides

+ Reply to Thread