DLLS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 545x in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall watching a series about the men who made America. The type that could loan the U.S. Government money to pay off the National debt. One was Rockefeller of Standard Oil fame. It was revealed as part of the series when the government did come in and break up his monopoly on oil that the Rockefeller's ended up with stock in each of the new companies. So while Standard Oil was broke up he still had a major stake in all of the Nation's petroleum.

The series also revealed that one of the Four richest Americans was responsible for the Johnstown flood. It seems they had a hunting lodge that a person had to cross the dyke to get to. However the road on the top of the dyck too narrow for coaches to meet. The members of the lodge decided to have the community widen the road, which involved cutting off part the top part of the dyke and weakening it.
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    — Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 1, Page 731)

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."
    — The Fountainhead (Part 4, Chapter 14, Page 637)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class1 year registered
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,494x in 6,051 Posts
    Mentioned
    390 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLS View Post
    I recall watching a series about the men who made America. The type that could loan the U.S. Government money to pay off the National debt. One was Rockefeller of Standard Oil fame. It was revealed as part of the series when the government did come in and break up his monopoly on oil that the Rockefeller's ended up with stock in each of the new companies. So while Standard Oil was broke up he still had a major stake in all of the Nation's petroleum.

The series also revealed that one of the Four richest Americans was responsible for the Johnstown flood. It seems they had a hunting lodge that a person had to cross the dyke to get to. However the road on the top of the dyck too narrow for coaches to meet. The members of the lodge decided to have the community widen the road, which involved cutting off part the top part of the dyke and weakening it.
    interesting. http://www.jaha.org/attractions/john...b-and-the-dam/
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

+ Reply to Thread