Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,635x in 56,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    Are you saying that you don't believe that postpartum depression or psychosis is something that exists?
    It’s not a valid or reasonable explanation as to why a mother can “forget” where she left her baby. It’s idiotic.

So, don’t take the easy cowards way out and claim that I said something I did not say.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    It’s not a valid or reasonable explanation as to why a mother can “forget” where she left her baby. It’s idiotic.

So, don’t take the easy cowards way out and claim that I said something I did not say.
    I claimed nothing. I asked a question. Here's some more. Do you believe that people have psychotic breaks? Do you believe in stress-related psychosis? Do you believe that there is such a thing as postpartum depression?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Helena For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (07-09-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I claimed nothing. I asked a question. Here's some more. Do you believe that people have psychotic breaks? Do you believe in stress-related psychosis? Do you believe that there is such a thing as postpartum depression?
    So instead of supporting your view, you use a question to insinuate that I said something I never said.

No readonably intelligent person could translate my comments to mean that I don’t believe stress related mental illnesses exist. The only person who would make that claim is one who can’t support their view, so they create a diversion.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 07-09-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use questions to clarify where someone might be coming from. Romper Room, is it?

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's really not idiotic if you know anything about medicine, neuroanatomy, psychology, or have ever read a basic Wikipedia article on postpartum depression, postpartum psychosis or hell, talked to a woman who has ever given birth to a child. That woman you have talked to at some point may not have experienced it herself, but I guarantee she knows plenty of moms who have.

Memory is a really interesting, complex thing and it is impacted by hormones and psychiatric conditions. You've probably heard of "pregnancy brain"/"momnesia" and "chemo brain" before. During periods of stress, especially if there is an additional chemical process or psychiatric process going on, can lead to serious holes in a person's memory and ability to think clearly. Compound that with lack of sleep, lack of nutrition, and so forth.

The woman in the OP was on drugs according to another member, which I said should have been dealt with by family and children services. But I said that I pause to consider other factors in these cases with very new babies (4 months old, in the OP) because there are a lot of cases of mothers doing harmful or negligent things because of conditions like postpartum depression or psychosis, and it's sad also that there is such a stigma attached to it that most women don't talk about it and often don't get help for it. Not getting help is often how those high-profile cases happen where a child is hurt or killed. That doesn't absolve the woman of what took place. It doesn't make it less horrible that a child was injured or killed. It may impact a legal case, but just generally, I wish more women shared their experiences so that there would be fewer cases of harm to the child, or harm to the mother.

It wouldn't hurt for people to be more considerate about possible scenarios. How do we know the mother in this case wasn't self-medicating? If she had given birth to a child addicted of drugs, family and children services would have been all over that. So, is the drug use new? Is it a relapse? Is it related to something going on psychiatrically? If there's a psychiatric disorder, is it related to her new motherhood?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Helena (07-09-2018)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It’s idiotic. Case closed. No matter how many words you use to try to explain yourself, it’s not valid.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 07-09-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use questions to clarify where someone might be coming from. Romper Room, is it?
    You used questions in an attemp to side-step the issue and create a diversion. It didn’t work. You still can’t support your view.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It’s idiotic. Case closed. No matter how many words you use to try to explain yourself, it’s not valid.
    Can't help that you're being close-minded. Seriously, if you even went so far as to read the Wikipedia article, which isn't really in-depth but gives a good summary, you might begin to understand that this is a possibility or something to consider. Healthy people do not forget about their children, usually (maybe to pick them up from soccer or something, but never like in the OP). Unhealthy people can forget, and they can make really bad decisions or be unable to think clearly about things. Doesn't make them innocent, but it's something to consider.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps Tyr Lange's mother is not guilty by the reason of insanity. Only court can decide -- now we do not know.

More likely then not many killers of both genders are insane -- how can a sane person take an innocent life and condemn themselves to life in a Penitentiary.

I would like to point out a tremendous double standard common in the Western Society. When a man commits a crime, he is immediately considered evil rather then insane. Moreover, all men are blamed by Liberals for actions of one man. According to a respectable Australian senator, men are morons and pigs: .

A society in which all women were seen as potential child abusers or complicit in child abuse would have been considered an oppressive nightmare.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Can't help that you're being close-minded. Seriously, if you even went so far as to read the Wikipedia article, which isn't really in-depth but gives a good summary, you might begin to understand that this is a possibility or something to consider. Healthy people do not forget about their children, usually (maybe to pick them up from soccer or something, but never like in the OP). Unhealthy people can forget, and they can make really bad decisions or be unable to think clearly about things. Doesn't make them innocent, but it's something to consider.
    Uh... ok. I considered it. It’s dumb.

+ Reply to Thread