Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mattis’s Last Stand Is Iran

(Foreign Policy) Mattis’s Last Stand Is Iran

As the U.S. defense secretary drifts further from President Donald Trump’s inner circle, his mission gets clearer: preventing war with Tehran.

BY MARK PERRY | JUNE 28, 2018, 7:00 AM

Testifying before a Senate subcommittee in early May, Defense Secretary James Mattis reassured his questioners that the U.S. military was ready for a war with Iran. “We maintain military options because of Iran’s bellicose statements and threats,” he said. “And those plans remain operant.” The testimony, which came a day after U.S. President Donald Trump’s announcement that the United States would leave the Iran nuclear deal, was classic Mattis: matter-of-fact and confident — but cagey. After all, being ready for a war is not the same thing as actually wanting one — and, when it comes to fighting Iran, it’s clear that an increasing number of senior U.S. military leaders, including Mattis himself, don’t.

The Trump administration’s civilian officials, who increasingly have the president’s ear, are another matter. Most prominently, the administration’s new national security advisor, John Bolton, has long argued that the only way to ensure that Iran does not get a nuclear weapon is to force regime change on the country — by bombing it. He’s not alone. Since taking on his new job, Bolton has stripped the National Security Council of his predecessor’s more moderate advisors, replacing them with interventionist hard-liners, including Fred Fleitz, an ex-CIA analyst and a former employee at the uber-hawk and anti-Muslim activist Frank Gaffney’s Center for Security Policy. Fleitz, who is Bolton’s chief of staff, has long claimed that anything other than the adoption of “the Bolton plan” — scrapping the Iran deal and working for regime change — lacks “moral clarity.”

In fact, Bolton has gone much further, as he did in a 2015 New York Times op-ed titled “To Stop Iran’s Bomb, Bomb Iran,” where he urged the United States. into a military confrontation with Tehran. “The inconvenient truth is that only military action like Israel’s 1981 attack on Saddam Hussein’s Osirak reactor in Iraq or its 2007 destruction of a Syrian reactor, designed and built by North Korea, can accomplish what is required,” he wrote. “Time is terribly short, but a strike can still succeed.” Mattis, by contrast, sees things from the perspective of someone responsible for doing the striking.

That’s not to say that Mattis believes Iran’s leadership can somehow be reasoned with. He doesn’t. Like many other Marines, Mattis nurses an anti-Iran grudge that dates from the October 1983 bombing of the Marine barracks in Beirut, which Tehran planned and supported and which cost the lives of 241 Americans. And when, during the Barack Obama years, Mattis was asked to name the three top threats to American security, he gave a short but pointed answer: “Iran, Iran, Iran.” Nor has Mattis dropped his habit of describing Iran as a “malign influence” — a description he uses so commonly that it is identified with him.

But condemning Iran and pushing for a war with it are two different things. Back in 2011, when Mattis served as the head of the U.S. Central Command, he sat silently through a detailed PowerPoint briefing on how the U.S. Navy planned to pummel the Islamic Republic with swarms of carrier-based F/A-18 Hornets, but he dismissed its airy optimism. “I don’t buy it,” he told an aide, then ordered a new assessment. Mattis’s anxiety has increased in the intervening years, senior military officers say, particularly since he’s become secretary of defense — and since the appointment of Bolton, whose arrival at the White House has coincided with his own marginalization in Trump’s national security decision-making.

[...]
    With the ascendancy of lunatic John Bolton to the White House, the Trump administration appears to be drifting closer and closer to a disastrous war with Iran. Trump's Secretary of Defense and one of the few remaining voices of sanity, James Mattis, is increasingly focused on stopping the warmongers and chicken-hawks from embroiling the USA in yet another expensive, fruitless, and endless Middle Eastern war.

When are Americans going to demand an end to this madness? How much of our money must they waste before Americans say enough is enough? It wasn't bad enough that the US government wasted and continues to waste trillions of dollars on the war in Iraq? It wasn't bad enough that the US government destabilized the entire Middle East and unleashed ISIS on to the world? It's surreal.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (07-09-2018)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 746
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,646x in 1,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    With the ascendancy of lunatic John Bolton to the White House, the Trump administration appears to be drifting closer and closer to a disastrous war with Iran. Trump's Secretary of Defense and one of the few remaining voices of sanity, James Mattis, is increasingly focused on stopping the warmongers and chicken-hawks from embroiling the USA in yet another expensive, fruitless, and endless Middle Eastern war.

When are Americans going to demand an end to this madness? How much of our money must they waste before Americans say enough is enough? It wasn't bad enough that the US government wasted and continues to waste trillions of dollars on the war in Iraq? It wasn't bad enough that the US government destabilized the entire Middle East and unleashed ISIS on to the world? It's surreal.
    It is absolutely IMPERATIVE that we all write and call our representatives, and DEMAND :

NO MORE WAR!

And to demand that the PNAC NEOCON WAR MONGERS be disbanded NOW!

It is not worth one more of our boys lives to die in another war for ISRAHELL!

We need a FIVE MILLION MAN MARCH in D.C. !!

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,585x in 94,416 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way that I would support direct action against Iran would be if Iran first closed the Straight of Hormuz. And that would not last long. Iran's air force, navy and shore based weapons would be destroyed in under a week. The Fifth Fleet and our Arab allies could do it without putting boots on the ground.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MMC (07-10-2018)

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    DLLS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 547x in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion of Iran, ever since the taking of the hostages, was they can pretty much go ---- themselves. However for some reason we keep getting involved with them. Remember Iran-Contra?

Did anyone besides me read the Tower Commission Report? I am going by memory so please bear with me. Please after reading the following tell me you opinion:

There was an individual named Ghorbanifar who the U.S. used as a go between.

Ghorbanifar had flunked every polygraph test given him by U.S. intelligence

At one point some of the people Ghorbanifar was involved with insisted he take out a life insurance policy in the amount he owed them naming them as the beneficiary (middle-eastern style debt collection?)

Ghorbanifar was basically a pathological liar and con man.

The U.S. still trusted Ghorbanifar as a go between.

Edited to include:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manucher_Ghorbanifar
    Last edited by DLLS; 07-09-2018 at 10:03 PM.
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    — Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 1, Page 731)

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."
    — The Fountainhead (Part 4, Chapter 14, Page 637)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DLLS For This Useful Post:

MMC (07-10-2018),Peter1469 (07-10-2018)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,987x in 55,610 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bolton is not a lunatic. That notion is idiotic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

MMC (07-11-2018)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    The only way that I would support direct action against Iran would be if Iran first closed the Straight of Hormuz. And that would not last long. Iran's air force, navy and shore based weapons would be destroyed in under a week. The Fifth Fleet and our Arab allies could do it without putting boots on the ground.
    I would tend to agree with that somewhat..... Certainly their Navy. and Air Force is no match or challenge for the US. As far as ground forces go, all they have is numbers. They'd get destroyed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

MMC (07-11-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,585x in 94,416 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I would tend to agree with that somewhat..... Certainly their Navy. and Air Force is no match or challenge for the US. As far as ground forces go, all they have is numbers. They'd get destroyed.
    True.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    True.
    During the first gulf war, I was a platoon sergeant. For years we had been training to fight the Soviets. Now we are going to deploy to fight an enemy I knew little about. So I bought some books which talked about the Iraqi’s doctrine and history in battle. All they really had to go on was their long standing war with Iran.

Basically everything I read talked about how either Iraq or Iran would give up as soon as one side looked to be getting the upper hand. In one battle, they both gave up simultaneously.

I gave the book book to my company commander. I told him that I think that the Iraqi’s will surrender from the very first time we make contact. He told me that he thought that if anything, the Iraqi’s knew how to fight on the ground. After our first contact, he came to me and said “ holy $#@!! You were right”. I don’t think we can handle another mass surrender like that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-11-2018)

Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Bolton is not a lunatic. That notion is idiotic.
    Kook alert.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Kook alert.
    At least you have accurately identified your position. Now go find MV and bite his ankles for a while.

It would be hilarious to see you engaged in a debate with Bolton on foreign policy issues. He’d leave you looking like an inexperienced fool.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 07-11-2018 at 04:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread