User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is Brett Kavanaugh? 3 things to know about Trump's Supreme Court pick

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news Collins will Vet Kavanuagh.

Susan Collins praises Brett Kavanaugh for 'impressive credentials,' promises to vet.....

“Judge Kavanaugh has impressive credentials and extensive experience, having served more than a decade on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals,” Collins said in a statement. “I will conduct a careful, thorough vetting of the president’s nominee to the Supreme Court, as I have done with the five previous Supreme Court Justices whom I have considered.” …..snip~

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...romises-to-vet

There goes the Demos only hope. Now they have no chance to hold it up. As Collins goes so to Murkowski.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (07-11-2018)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 1,229
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,081x in 10,767 Posts
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record. I believe the Obamacare ruling was not only correct, but then was finally decided by We the People.

The Obama Administration argued that the mandate in Obamacare that was gone over in court...was a tax. That is correct, while Obama was telling us all on tv that it wouldn't add a dime to the national debt, the mandate was being argued as a tax in court. John Roberts wrote for the majority and strongly emphasized the upcoming 2012 Presidential election, that the decision should be made by our Constituents. The correct call. And what happened at the end of 2017.....our GOP Legislature ended the mandate. Ended it where it should have been decided and ended and it was. In our Legislature. Where the people's Representatives decide what is a tax, what is mandated.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (07-11-2018)

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Major Lambda's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 266x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLS View Post
    That is enough to cause me to have doubts as to whether or not he will rule as a true constitutional conservative on the bench.
    EXACTLY !!

Major Lambda
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Major Lambda's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 266x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Good news Collins will Vet Kavanuagh.

Susan Collins praises Brett Kavanaugh for 'impressive credentials,' promises to vet.....

“Judge Kavanaugh has impressive credentials and extensive experience, having served more than a decade on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals,” Collins said in a statement. “I will conduct a careful, thorough vetting of the president’s nominee to the Supreme Court, as I have done with the five previous Supreme Court Justices whom I have considered.” …..snip~

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...romises-to-vet

There goes the Demos only hope. Now they have no chance to hold it up. As Collins goes so to Murkowski.

Yeah. I don't know what Pennsylvania Avenue brains ( Presidential Advisors ) were thinking when Kavanaugh got picked, but I like the bio below.

Judge Amy Barrett

1. Notre Dame Law School - Summa Cum Laude

2. Economics and Law fellow at George Washington University

3. She teaches courts, and constitutional law

4. She is a staunch conservative.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/07/po...coney-barrett/

Major Lambda
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Lambda For This Useful Post:

MMC (07-11-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Lambda View Post
    Yeah. I don't know what Pennsylvania Avenue brains ( Presidential Advisors ) were thinking when Kavanaugh got picked, but I like the bio below.

Judge Amy Barrett

1. Notre Dame Law School - Summa Cum Laude

2. Economics and Law fellow at George Washington University

3. She teaches courts, and constitutional law

4. She is a staunch conservative.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/07/po...coney-barrett/

Major Lambda
    Trump has once again out-thought the Demos. Barrett and Kethledge the Demos would go full tilt with the attacks. Along with getting the media to jump in. Which then would cause Collins and Murkowski to waiver and flip flop. The left would be able to go full tilt on them over Roe vs Wade.

Kavanaugh has written on over 300 cases. Moreover, the Demos voted for Kavanaugh to put him on the DC Appellate Court. As did Collins and Murkowski.

Kavanaugh is a Scholar. As well as a History Major. He also has ruled on cases dealing with the separation of Powers. Going by the Constitutional as an originalist. As Larry Elder says....there is no dirt on Kavanaugh. Other than being associated to Bush and being on Ken Starr's Team. So pretty much an MC Hammer.....You Can't Touch This.

Besides clerking for Kennedy. He has hired on more women as clerks. Is respected by all Judges left and Right and Considered to be one of the most intelligent Justices we have out there. Even Kagan had him come and speak at Yale, despite being a Conservative.

With BO the peeps Special Package. His stance was that it wasn't the courts place to make any decision. That it was a policy matter.

That being said.....I would have preferred Trump to go with Barrett. The Demos would have had a better chance at derailing her confirmation. With Kavanaugh.....they can $#@! a lil. But they can't get around the fact that they confirmed him in as an Appellate Judge for the Top Appellate Court in the Country. The DC Circuit.

They will give their base a showing by putting up a fight. But really they have no heart for it. Axios, Mike Allen, Politicos Jake Sherman, and other top Leftist Law Pundits are all saying. Kavanaugh gets confirmed.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,353x in 27,928 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    He seems to be an originalist as far as I can tell. Do you think Hillary Clinton would have even considered him?
    Is that the measure?

We should reject Kavanaugh. We should insist that President Trump nominate a Constitutional Conservative who will reliably support and defend the Constitution as written and understood by the framers.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Who he clerked for doesn’t tell us much if anything at all.

I think he's preferable to anyone Hillary Clinton would have appointed.
    We do not measure a potential Justice against what the loser might have done. We measure the potential justice based on past performance. Kavanaugh appears to be a risky choice. We can do better. We should insist that President Trump withdraw Kavanaugh and pick a Constitutional Conservative instead.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    No.

I only mean of the 4 on the list he is closer to mainstream than the others.
    That is not good enough.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Abides by Roe v Wade, and opposes Obamacare.

I get that.
    Kavanaugh worked very hard to discover the means to turn the ObamaCare penalty into a tax. That is enough of a red flag that Kavanaugh must be rejected.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    He does have his share of conservative critics, however, thanks to a certain ruling on Obamacare.

In a 2011 ObamaCare case where Kavanaugh dissented against the ruling but acknowledged that the Affordable Care Act’s “individual mandate provision” could fit “comfortably within Congress’ Taxing Clause power.”
    Kavanaugh's detractors say that language helped provide the roadmap for the Supreme Court to uphold the mandate a year later. (Fox News)
    This is a reason to reject him. President Trump can do better. We deserve better.

+ Reply to Thread