User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wake Up Call: “Uber for Lawyers” App to Take Legal Queries for $20

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,599x in 25,152 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Wake Up Call: “Uber for Lawyers” App to Take Legal Queries for $20

Oh my Obama!!! What will they think of next? Set to launch in September, the mobile platform “Text a Lawyer” will allow potential clients to ask lawyers an initial legal question for about $20, then $9 for follow-up questions. “I’m trying to bridge the gap between lawyers, at hundreds dollars an hour, that blue collar Americans cannot afford … with what they can afford,” says the app’s Portland, Oregon-based creator, Kevin Gillespie. (Legaltech News)

https://biglawbusiness.com/wake-up-c...ueries-for-20/

I OBJECT.

Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (07-10-2018)

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,428x in 54,993 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How much can truly be asked and answered in text messages? I doubt very much.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    DLLS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 547x in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A prior job put me in daily contact with lawyers. They are going to be very heavily concerned with protecting their reputation and license to practice which will have a direct impact on the quality of answers a person receives.

There have been times when I have searched the web for questions to legal issues and those offered by attorney websites are usually accompanied by a lengthy disclaimer that basically, when boiled down, states that they are not responsible if the advice just given is wrong.

There is another thing to consider when seeking legal advice online. The opinions of attorneys differ. One may interpret the law as saying one thing while another may have an entirely different opinion. Remember this basic rule if the law could not be interpreted a multitude of ways we would not need courts of appeal.
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    — Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 1, Page 731)

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."
    — The Fountainhead (Part 4, Chapter 14, Page 637)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,599x in 25,152 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLS View Post
    A prior job put me in daily contact with lawyers. They are going to be very heavily concerned with protecting their reputation and license to practice which will have a direct impact on the quality of answers a person receives. There have been times when I have searched the web for questions to legal issues and those offered by attorney websites are usually accompanied by a lengthy disclaimer that basically, when boiled down, states that they are not responsible if the advice just given is wrong. There is another thing to consider when seeking legal advice online. The opinions of attorneys differ. One may interpret the law as saying one thing while another may have an entirely different opinion. Remember this basic rule if the law could not be interpreted a multitude of ways we would not need courts of appeal.
    Very true. Not to mention that the facts as perceived by the texter might not actually be the true facts. I can sit with a client and sometimes it takes over an hour to get the real facts out of them. This will color the opinion because the legal opinion can only be based on the facts given.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Major Lambda's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 266x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Oh my Obama!!! What will they think of next? Set to launch in September, the mobile platform “Text a Lawyer” will allow potential clients to ask lawyers an initial legal question for about $20, then $9 for follow-up questions. “I’m trying to bridge the gap between lawyers, at hundreds dollars an hour, that blue collar Americans cannot afford … with what they can afford,” says the app’s Portland, Oregon-based creator, Kevin Gillespie. (Legaltech News)

https://biglawbusiness.com/wake-up-c...ueries-for-20/

I OBJECT.

A hundred to one and a pint of your favorite ale, they will not all be lawyers. That's a lot of phone calls.

Legal students, para-legals, students in general ( bachelor ) law studies.

Nothing personal against your profession, I have known some GREAT lawyers. Then I have known - Mislead, Misspeak, Misrepresent, Misinform, and a whole of other Misses, so much that it seems to be the common set standard, and accepted practice with some legal professionals. And again, seriously from the heart, NO OFFENSE sir, lawyers get disbarred almost everyday.

If I wanted legal advice, I would do the phone book yellow pages, or internet research. Free consultation. I would not hang my legal problems on a phone call, talking to a face I cannot see ; its not gonna happen. Remember Tommy Lee Jones in the movie "The Client" , and the kid is going from legal office to legal office, he opens one door and says "Hell No" , then he finds Susan Sarandon and retains her. Yep, same thing.

Me and you should have got together and come up with "Legal Zoom". Got to the idea before Shapiro did. Think of the interest we would be making, as were sipping something cold on the beaches of Puerto Rico.

Major Lambda
    Last edited by Major Lambda; 07-13-2018 at 12:21 AM.
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

+ Reply to Thread