User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Private Server vs GMail

  1. #1
    Points: 1,695, Level: 9
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    DLLS's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    555
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    827
    Points
    1,695
    Level
    9
    Thanks Given
    140
    Thanked 545x in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Private Server vs GMail

    This is a question mainly for liberals but others can opine since, with the election of Trump, it is still a free country.

    It seems that when I watch a news program and Hillary's use of a private server comes up someone on the left will always chime in about some republican or republican appointee that had a gmail account that they used while working for the government.

    Since I am relatively new to computers and computer technology (my first "system" was a Timex-Sinclair 1000 which saved programs on cassette tape) exactly how is a GMail account the same as using a private server to send and receive emails?

    In one instance isn't the preservation of emails controlled by law where in the other instance preservation of emails is dependent on the person who set up the private server?

    I would really like to know.
    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 1, Page 731)

    "The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."
    The Fountainhead (Part 4, Chapter 14, Page 637)

  2. #2
    Points: 1,695, Level: 9
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    DLLS's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    555
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    827
    Points
    1,695
    Level
    9
    Thanks Given
    140
    Thanked 545x in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I still have the Timex-Sinclair 1000 complete with the 16K memory expansion module and thermal printer (unfortunately no paper).
    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 1, Page 731)

    "The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."
    The Fountainhead (Part 4, Chapter 14, Page 637)

  3. #3
    Original Ranter
    Points: 160,900, Level: 95
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    40584
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    39,326
    Points
    160,900
    Level
    95
    Thanks Given
    12,304
    Thanked 9,575x in 7,252 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a private server one has full and complete control over the entire email server. With G Mail they do not have full control. Have to rely on others that host the G Mail.
    Don't only Practice your Art, but force your way into its Secrets, For it and Knowledge can Raise men to the Divine!!!!! Ludwig Van Beethoven ~

  4. #4
    Points: 14,737, Level: 29
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    70608
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    2,747
    Points
    14,737
    Level
    29
    Thanks Given
    697
    Thanked 1,146x in 840 Posts
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One part of my responsibility at a major corporation for many years was email and other communication methods. I had complete responsibility. The piece most people miss in their discussion of email is the systems at the level of government and corporations have instant replication and backup. Hillary government email would have been backed up on government systems if they were contained in the destination. As far as security your private sever would offer more security than gmail which is open to any system administrator. That's how information is leaked, ck Snowden for instance. Email is not a conversation in a sound proof room. Powell, Rice. Ivanka, Jared etc etc were more open to tampering than Hillary. Thus Podesta's stupid mistake.


    If anyone is interested in the truth concerning this topic please check page 139 of 'The Destruction of Hillary Clinton' by Susan Bordo. None of the information that was later marked classified was marked that way when Hillary received it. Also Hillary's private use of an email server was - as I have noted many times having managed email for a major corporation - was an OK procedure with the State dept when HRC was secretary of state, that only changed afterwards. No one on the right will care about the truth as they elected a man so inept, they'll spend the next four year pleading loyalty and excusing his constant stupidity. Comey was right in his decision, but the manner etc in which he did it bizarre and wrong. For those who want to understand how this could happen read the book.

    'The Destruction of Hillary Clinton' by Susan Bordo p 141

    "The Inspector General confirmed what we have known all along-that Secretary Clinton followed the practice of her predecessor when she used a personal email account. While Secretary Clinton preserved and returned tens of thousands of pages of her emails to the Department for public release, Secretary Powell returned none. Republicans need to stop wasting taxpayer dollars singling out Secretary Clinton just because she is running for President. If Republicans really care about transparency, they will work constructively with Democrats to focus on fixing what this report shows are longstanding, systemic flaws in the State Department's record keeping practices for decades.

    Cummings's press release was substantiated by a piece in Forbes magazine, which concluded, that as regards Clinton's handling of emails, the evaluation "does not add any new serious charges or adverse facts" about Clinton but rather retraces a "dreary history of records and archival policy" involving "general problems" with printing and filing emails in a retrievable way that should not be "pinned" on Clinton. The piece concludes: "A report that says so little new against Clinton, amounts to a vindication."

    "The Inspector General confirmed what we have known all along-that Secretary Clinton followed the practice of her predecessor when she used a personal email account. While Secretary Clinton preserved and returned tens of thousands of pages of her emails to the Department for public release, Secretary Powell returned none. Republicans need to stop wasting taxpayer dollars singling out Secretary Clinton just because she is running for President. If Republicans really care about transparency, they will work constructively with Democrats to focus on fixing what this report shows are longstanding, systemic flaws in the State Department's record keeping practices for decades.

    Cummings's press release was substantiated by a piece in Forbes magazine, which concluded, that as regards Clinton's handling of emails, the evaluation "does not add any new serious charges or adverse facts" about Clinton but rather retraces a "dreary history of records and archival policy" involving "general problems" with printing and filing emails in a retrievable way that should not be "pinned" on Clinton. The piece concludes: "A report that says so little new against Clinton, amounts to a vindication."

    p141 'The Destruction of Hillary Clinton' by Susan Bordo
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA. We do.

    FD: I do not review notifications, PM me if you think you have countered any point I make. Tx

    Support America - http://american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/index.cfm

    Education: http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...r-A-Republican

    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

    Docthehun (07-16-2018)

  6. #5
    Original Ranter
    Points: 160,900, Level: 95
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    40584
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    39,326
    Points
    160,900
    Level
    95
    Thanks Given
    12,304
    Thanked 9,575x in 7,252 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    One part of my responsibility at a major corporation for many years was email and other communication methods. I had complete responsibility. The piece most people miss in their discussion of email is the systems at the level of government and corporations have instant replication and backup. Hillary government email would have been backed up on government systems if they were contained in the destination. As far as security your private sever would offer more security than gmail which is open to any system administrator. That's how information is leaked, ck Snowden for instance. Email is not a conversation in a sound proof room. Powell, Rice. Ivanka, Jared etc etc were more open to tampering than Hillary. Thus Podesta's stupid mistake.


    If anyone is interested in the truth concerning this topic please check page 139 of 'The Destruction of Hillary Clinton' by Susan Bordo. None of the information that was later marked classified was marked that way when Hillary received it. Also Hillary's private use of an email server was - as I have noted many times having managed email for a major corporation - was an OK procedure with the State dept when HRC was secretary of state, that only changed afterwards. No one on the right will care about the truth as they elected a man so inept, they'll spend the next four year pleading loyalty and excusing his constant stupidity. Comey was right in his decision, but the manner etc in which he did it bizarre and wrong. For those who want to understand how this could happen read the book.

    'The Destruction of Hillary Clinton' by Susan Bordo p 141

    "The Inspector General confirmed what we have known all along-that Secretary Clinton followed the practice of her predecessor when she used a personal email account. While Secretary Clinton preserved and returned tens of thousands of pages of her emails to the Department for public release, Secretary Powell returned none. Republicans need to stop wasting taxpayer dollars singling out Secretary Clinton just because she is running for President. If Republicans really care about transparency, they will work constructively with Democrats to focus on fixing what this report shows are longstanding, systemic flaws in the State Department's record keeping practices for decades.

    Cummings's press release was substantiated by a piece in Forbes magazine, which concluded, that as regards Clinton's handling of emails, the evaluation "does not add any new serious charges or adverse facts" about Clinton but rather retraces a "dreary history of records and archival policy" involving "general problems" with printing and filing emails in a retrievable way that should not be "pinned" on Clinton. The piece concludes: "A report that says so little new against Clinton, amounts to a vindication."

    "The Inspector General confirmed what we have known all along-that Secretary Clinton followed the practice of her predecessor when she used a personal email account. While Secretary Clinton preserved and returned tens of thousands of pages of her emails to the Department for public release, Secretary Powell returned none. Republicans need to stop wasting taxpayer dollars singling out Secretary Clinton just because she is running for President. If Republicans really care about transparency, they will work constructively with Democrats to focus on fixing what this report shows are longstanding, systemic flaws in the State Department's record keeping practices for decades.

    Cummings's press release was substantiated by a piece in Forbes magazine, which concluded, that as regards Clinton's handling of emails, the evaluation "does not add any new serious charges or adverse facts" about Clinton but rather retraces a "dreary history of records and archival policy" involving "general problems" with printing and filing emails in a retrievable way that should not be "pinned" on Clinton. The piece concludes: "A report that says so little new against Clinton, amounts to a vindication."

    p141 'The Destruction of Hillary Clinton' by Susan Bordo
    To bad the FBI, and the State Dept itself validated that Hillary's Private server was not backed up with security at times. Like when she switched out.


    Moreover after the DSO complained about her Asian trip. She ran out immediately and got the security certification.
    Don't only Practice your Art, but force your way into its Secrets, For it and Knowledge can Raise men to the Divine!!!!! Ludwig Van Beethoven ~

  7. #6
    Points: 21,168, Level: 35
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3821
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South Carolina now.
    Posts
    10,052
    Points
    21,168
    Level
    35
    Thanks Given
    15,888
    Thanked 3,812x in 2,960 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLS View Post
    This is a question mainly for liberals but others can opine since, with the election of Trump, it is still a free country.

    It seems that when I watch a news program and Hillary's use of a private server comes up someone on the left will always chime in about some republican or republican appointee that had a gmail account that they used while working for the government.

    Since I am relatively new to computers and computer technology (my first "system" was a Timex-Sinclair 1000 which saved programs on cassette tape) exactly how is a GMail account the same as using a private server to send and receive emails?

    In one instance isn't the preservation of emails controlled by law where in the other instance preservation of emails is dependent on the person who set up the private server?

    I would really like to know.
    G-mail and other e-mails servers have no obligation to preserve emails.(government emails are required to be saved,)

    A private server is less open but can be as easily hacked as any other. A government employee shouldn't be using either one.

    As to saving emails, that depends. Servers do whatever the want with regards to that. The bigger server probably don't bother deleting because the space used is very small. A small server probably deletes regularly. A quick answer is an email probably never goes away since somewhere along the line someone will not have deleted it.
    Last edited by Captdon; 07-11-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our democracy and our society.

  8. #7
    Points: 21,168, Level: 35
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3821
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South Carolina now.
    Posts
    10,052
    Points
    21,168
    Level
    35
    Thanks Given
    15,888
    Thanked 3,812x in 2,960 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clinton deleted and scrubbed 30,000 emails. We have no way of knowing what was in them. I see no reason for her to have done that. She also did it after a subpoena was issued for them. That's a crime right there. Her private server was hacked by the Russians and the documents given to Wiki-leaks.

    She got away with something she should have been jailed for.
    Last edited by Captdon; 07-11-2018 at 04:58 PM.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our democracy and our society.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

    barb012 (07-16-2018),MisterVeritis (07-17-2018),ODB (07-16-2018)

  10. #8
    Points: 1,695, Level: 9
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    DLLS's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    555
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    827
    Points
    1,695
    Level
    9
    Thanks Given
    140
    Thanked 545x in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I know the government backs up (though at times they state that they lost the backup)

    In a former job with DoJ part of my extra duties was to act as SSA (Systems Security Administrator) for an already obsolete Wang system because I mentioned that I had a PC. I would set up new users with local access. Central Site access had to be set up by the contractor that maintained the system.

    Every evening at 9pm eastern the contractor would run a program called VSZAP which would close out all open files on the agency computers throughout the nation so that a backup and consolidation of records could be performed.

    Every Monday I would go into the computer room, sit at the "zero" workstation and perform the IPL (Initial Program Load) which involved spinning own the disk in the data cabinet, removing it and replacing it with the one from the previous week. When I brought the system back up and it was ready to use I would send a system wide message to alert the office. Once it was, "He was happy, he loved Big Brother. You can log in now."

    When we migrated to a Windows system the daily back up tapes had to be sent to the contractor via FedEx each morning.

    To give you some idea of how antiquated the system was once I replaced a board in the telecommunications box. The board just to handle one line was larger than the mother board on the 8086 I had at the time.
    Last edited by DLLS; 07-11-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 1, Page 731)

    "The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."
    The Fountainhead (Part 4, Chapter 14, Page 637)

  11. #9
    Points: 14,737, Level: 29
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    70608
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    2,747
    Points
    14,737
    Level
    29
    Thanks Given
    697
    Thanked 1,146x in 840 Posts
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    To bad the FBI, and the State Dept itself validated that Hillary's Private server was not backed up with security at times. Like when she switched out.
    @MMC

    Huh? that made no sense, you said nothing, source please, please try not to look dumb. Switch off? ????
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA. We do.

    FD: I do not review notifications, PM me if you think you have countered any point I make. Tx

    Support America - http://american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/index.cfm

    Education: http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...r-A-Republican

    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower

  12. #10
    Points: 14,737, Level: 29
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    70608
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    2,747
    Points
    14,737
    Level
    29
    Thanks Given
    697
    Thanked 1,146x in 840 Posts
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Clinton deleted and scrubbed 30,000 emails. We have no way of knowing what was in them. I see no reason for her to have done that. She also did it after a subpoena was issued for them. That's a crime right there. Her private server was hacked by the Russians and the documents given to Wiki-leaks. She got away with something she should have been jailed for.
    @Captdon

    Clinton's lawyers reviewed her emails. We know what was in them. And you cannot delete a sent email as it resides in multiple places thus the laptop that helped Comey help elect a complete moron as president - that was Weiner's wife's PC which contained lots of those so called scrubbed emails. Dumb term used to pull the wool over the eyes of the lambs. You guys are easily played and believe what fits your bigotry. I quoted enough info above. The morons in congress wasted millions investigating Hillary's email and came up with nothing. Technology is often made complicated so as to confuse the easily confused.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA. We do.

    FD: I do not review notifications, PM me if you think you have countered any point I make. Tx

    Support America - http://american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/index.cfm

    Education: http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...r-A-Republican

    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

    Docthehun (07-16-2018)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO