User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ammonia- can it power the world?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,487x in 94,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ammonia- can it power the world?

As an aside, this is why I call myself a lukewarmist. I accept that man has a minimal effect on climate, yet it is of no concern. Science will advance as it did from wood to coal, coal to oil, and now to something beyond.

That's where MacFarlane comes in. For the past 4 years, he has been working on a fuel cell that can convert renewable electricity into a carbon-free fuel: ammonia. Fuel cells typically use the energy stored in chemical bonds to make electricity; MacFarlane's operates in reverse. In his third-floor laboratory, he shows off one of the devices, about the size of a hockey puck and clad in stainless steel. Two plastic tubes on its backside feed it nitrogen gas and water, and a power cord supplies electricity. Through a third tube on its front, it silently exhales gaseous ammonia, all without the heat, pressure, and carbon emissions normally needed to make the chemical. "This is breathing nitrogen in and breathing ammonia out," MacFarlane says, beaming like a proud father.

Companies around the world already produce $60 billion worth of ammonia every year, primarily as fertilizer, and MacFarlane's gizmo may allow them to make it more efficiently and cleanly. But he has ambitions to do much more than help farmers. By converting renewable electricity into an energy-rich gas that can easily be cooled and squeezed into a liquid fuel, MacFarlane's fuel cell effectively bottles sunshine and wind, turning them into a commodity that can be shipped anywhere in the world and converted back into electricity or hydrogen gas to power fuel cell vehicles. The gas bubbling out of the fuel cell is colorless, but environmentally, MacFarlane says, ammonia is as green as can be. "Liquid ammonia is liquid energy," he says. "It's the sustainable technology we need."

Ammonia—one nitrogen atom bonded to three hydrogen atoms—may not seem like an ideal fuel: The chemical, used in household cleaners, smells foul and is toxic. But its energy density by volume is nearly double that of liquid hydrogen—its primary competitor as a green alternative fuel—and it is easier to ship and distribute. "You can store it, ship it, burn it, and convert it back into hydrogen and nitrogen," says Tim Hughes, an energy storage researcher with manufacturing giant Siemens in Oxford, U.K. "In many ways, it's ideal."

Researchers around the globe are chasing the same vision of an "ammonia economy," and Australia is positioning itself to lead it. "It's just beginning," says Alan Finkel, Australia's chief scientist who is based in Canberra. Federal politicians have yet to offer any major legislation in support of renewable ammonia, Finkel says, perhaps understandable in a country long wedded to exporting coal and natural gas. But last year, the Australian Renewable Energy Agency declared that creating an export economy for renewables is one of its priorities. This year, the agency announced AU$20 million in initial funds to support renewable export technologies, including shipping ammonia.
    Read the entire article at the link above.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-14-2018),Common (07-14-2018),Dr. Who (07-13-2018),Lummy (07-14-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post

As an aside, this is why I call myself a lukewarmist. I accept that man has a minimal effect on climate, yet it is of no concern. Science will advance as it did from wood to coal, coal to oil, and now to something beyond.

Read the entire article at the link above.
    I think it's great that they are seriously looking into alternate energy sources to help with cleaner, more efficient energy. Like you said, science will advance as it did from wood to coal, coal to oil and so forth.

Good posting.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-14-2018),Peter1469 (07-14-2018)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think eventually they have to come up with a viable "Affordable" alternated means of energy. Eventually the world has to run out of oil.

When I was a kid the only room heated was the kitchen from a castiron gas stove that weighed more than a aircraft carrier.
    I thought I died and went to heaven when we moved to a railroad apt with COAL HEAT, that excitement soon wore off when I realized the coal man was ME and I had to go down to the basement nights and mornings freezing shoveling coal and getting the fires restarted when they went out. What a pain in the ass
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-14-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,487x in 94,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I would think eventually they have to come up with a viable "Affordable" alternated means of energy. Eventually the world has to run out of oil.

When I was a kid the only room heated was the kitchen from a castiron gas stove that weighed more than a aircraft carrier.
    I thought I died and went to heaven when we moved to a railroad apt with COAL HEAT, that excitement soon wore off when I realized the coal man was ME and I had to go down to the basement nights and mornings freezing shoveling coal and getting the fires restarted when they went out. What a pain in the ass
    I am not so sure that we will run out of oil- I just think that we will not need it in the near future.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Common (07-14-2018)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I am not so sure that we will run out of oil- I just think that we will not need it in the near future.
    Whichever comes first Petey
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,775x in 2,258 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting...Chicken sh1t is very high in ammonia before it composts...I wonder if this could be utilized as a good natural source?

+ Reply to Thread