User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Decline of Traditional Conservatism and the Rise of the Postmodern Conservative

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,391x in 54,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!" That's not nutty?

He later talked about tossing A bombs into the Kremlin toilets. He voted against the Voting Rights Act and proudly said so. Yes, he was nutty. His voters preached the hate that liberals preach now.

Isn't liberty worth defending? AN earlier man said it better, give me liberty or give me death.

He favored equal right for all before the law, he opposed that part of the bill he thought would intrude upon a businessman's right to choose whom he serves. Today bakers are forced to bake cakes against their choosing.

I don't recall that hate.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    spunkloaf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 807x in 609 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Isn't liberty worth defending? AN earlier man said it better, give me liberty or give me death.

He favored equal right for all before the law, he opposed that part of the bill he thought would intrude upon a businessman's right to choose whom he serves. Today bakers are forced to bake cakes against their choosing.

I don't recall that hate.
    There's no reason why a baker should feel morally opposed to baking the same cake for one couple that he would bake for another, unless he intends to discriminate against them for being gay.

It would be no different than refusing to bake a cake for a couple because they are black, or white, or straight for that matter.

I am honestly torn on that issue, because I recognize the liberty to refuse service to somebody because they are gay, although it is a despicable and childish liberty, is a liberty nonetheless. Just as it was for the liberty for the Westboro Baptist Church to protest at the funerals of American soldiers. There is very little difference between the two scenarios. My question is if the freedom thing is the main issue, then why don't more people stand up and make that defense for the Westboro Baptist Church?
    Faith can move mountains, but don't forget to bring your shovel.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    El Guapo's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 208x in 133 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!" That's not nutty?

He later talked about tossing A bombs into the Kremlin toilets. He voted against the Voting Rights Act and proudly said so. Yes, he was nutty. His voters preached the hate that liberals preach now.
    Dewd. You can't pick one line out of an entire thought and call it nutty.

Context is everything, amigo.

Besides, what do you find nutty about that?

​The Russians were our mortal enemy at the time, y'know. srs biz. for realz.
    Last edited by El Guapo; 07-28-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    Just is Just

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,570x in 36,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkloaf View Post
    There's no reason why a baker should feel morally opposed to baking the same cake for one couple that he would bake for another, unless he intends to discriminate against them for being gay.

It would be no different than refusing to bake a cake for a couple because they are black, or white, or straight for that matter.

I am honestly torn on that issue, because I recognize the liberty to refuse service to somebody because they are gay, although it is a despicable and childish liberty, is a liberty nonetheless. Just as it was for the liberty for the Westboro Baptist Church to protest at the funerals of American soldiers. There is very little difference between the two scenarios. My question is if the freedom thing is the main issue, then why don't more people stand up and make that defense for the Westboro Baptist Church?
    They do.

Did you know Rev. Phelps was once applauded for his civil rights work? He's not fond of homos but the brothuz are another story.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-29-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,570x in 36,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Matt McManus, a Canadian conservative, writes The Decline of Traditional Conservatism and the Rise of the Postmodern Conservative about British conservative Roger Scruton:

He clarifies his intent behind postmodern as "an epoch in human history" when he says postmodern conservatism:

In discussing conservatism he includes this wonderful quote of Michael Oakshott:
    Part of the problem here is that Oakshott comes from a different world. It's a little frustrating but I casn't blame your typical American for associating "traditional conservatism" with monied interests.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    They do.

Did you know Rev. Phelps was once applauded for his civil rights work? He's not fond of homos but the brothuz are another story.
    I highly doubt it. People are mostly for "freedom and anarchy" when it best suits their personal agendas. We're all too different and selfish to worry about other people's freedoms.

Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!" That's not nutty?
    No. Not in the slightest. America was founded on the most extreme defense of liberty in history.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkloaf View Post

I don't disagree morally. But, in order to be moral, you must be free to make moral choices. This, imo, the baker must be free to choose. You and I and others can then choose to do business with him. Keep the government out of it.
    Last edited by Chris; 07-29-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-29-2018)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Part of the problem here is that Oakshott comes from a different world. It's a little frustrating but I casn't blame your typical American for associating "traditional conservatism" with monied interests.
    He like Scruton is British. I'd heard of him manny times before and never thought where he's from. So, yea, it's a little unfair to speak of a European conservatism in an American context. Conservatism here is tied to the market more than in Europe.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't disagree morally. But, in order to be moral, you must be free to make moral choices. This, imo, the baker must be free to choose. You and I and thers can then choose to do business with him. Keep the government out of it.
    Even the state government?

+ Reply to Thread