Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NBA Live 19: Women in 'create a player' Feature for First Time

For the first time ever in any basketball video game, you can now create your own female basketball player. Creating players has always been a hallmark of basketball games since the 90s, but only for males. The created players can also be added to male teams, creating mixed gender rosters. The WNBA and it's players and teams were added to the franchise last year. https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-44991886

@IMPress Polly, I figured you'd be interested in this. You always talk about the underrepresented female gamer, how do you feel about females being put on equal footing with the males in the sports sim NBA Live 19?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (07-30-2018)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They fake equality in real life, why not computer games?

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I thought this development was pretty cool when I heard about it! That now makes American professional basketball more equitable in video game form than it is in real life! But maybe we'll get there in the real world too one day.

What I would really like to see is for the more mainstream NBA 2K franchise to adopt changes like these. I mean at least include the WNBA. NBA Live has become a more obscure basketball franchise over the decades, while NBA 2K games always sell in the top ten, and often the top five, every year. Such changes would be more visible in the NBA 2K franchise and it remains unreformed this way as yet.

Electronic Arts (which does the NBA Live franchise) has been moving in this sort of direction for the last several years. For example, we've also seen their popular FIFA franchise start to include the women's league from the 2015 installment onward (although its inclusion was only represented on the box cover once, notably).

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,756x in 15,337 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Yeah, I thought this development was pretty cool when I heard about it! That now makes American professional basketball more equitable in video game form than it is in real life! But maybe we'll get there in the real world too one day.What I would really like to see is for the more mainstream NBA 2K franchise to adopt changes like these. I mean at least include the WNBA. NBA Live has become a more obscure basketball franchise over the decades, while NBA 2K games always sell in the top ten, and often the top five, every year. Such changes would be more visible in the NBA 2K franchise and it remains unreformed this way as yet.Electronic Arts (which does the NBA Live franchise) has been moving in this sort of direction for the last several years. For example, we've also seen their popular FIFA franchise start to include the women's league from the 2015 installment onward (although its inclusion was only represented on the box cover once, notably).
    *But maybe we'll get there in the real world too one day.* ............... Seriously ??
    It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NBA 2K is the bigger basketball video game franchise, true, but Live had a good showing last year and I wouldn't be surprised if they start to close the gap. A lot of people have been frustrated with the 2K franchise because of excessive micro-transations and redundant gameplay. I think it's a smart business move if nothing else to include the WNBA. Creates good publicity and would appeal to female gamers who are also basketball fans.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    But maybe we'll get there in the real world too one day.
    And what would an "equitable" NBA look like in your opinion?
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The NBA doesn't do a great job promoting the WNBA, and I think their mediocre salaries prevent the league from being taken seriously. Elite female basketball players make way more money overseas, the max contract in the WNBA is about $100,000. Diana Taurasi, one of the WNBAs best players, if not, their best player, skipped a whole year and made $1.5 million playing overseas. That all said, if the WNBA is to have anywhere close to the same platform as the NBA, they actually have to generate some sort of comparable interest, they're completely subsidized by the NBA at the moment and operate at all loss. I think the NBA should go all in and spend real money trying to make it work, or they should shut it down altogether.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    NBA 2K is the bigger basketball video game franchise, true, but Live had a good showing last year and I wouldn't be surprised if they start to close the gap. A lot of people have been frustrated with the 2K franchise because of excessive micro-transations and redundant gameplay. I think it's a smart business move if nothing else to include the WNBA. Creates good publicity and would appeal to female gamers who are also basketball fans.
    I think so too. There was a major survey of 270,000 gamers last year that broke down the sex ratio of the players of various games and genres. Here are the results of the genre part, organized by percentage of players who are female:

genre-gender-percentages.jpg

You'll notice which genre is at the very very very very very very very bottom of this list. What that means is that, yes despite being one of the most popular video game genres already, sports still has probably the largest room for growth of any game genre! It's probably a smart move for EA to add options like the women's leagues and gender-neutral character creation options to their sports franchises.

+ Reply to Thread