Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    as a matter of fact, a friend did one. By the time he got done with the taxes on the full settlement, he still owed the firm 1/3 of the total. His cut wasn't but a handful of nickles.
    .......they're not in it for you.
    So if you sue, sue like you shoot, aim small, shoot small. You'll do a lot better.

Another problem with class actions is that once a settlement is made and you accept it that is it, end of story. Let say you have some minor reaction to a drug and a class action lawsuit nets you $10,000.00. Five years down the road the "minor reaction" flares back up but this time its life threatening and will cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions to treat. Too bad, you have already settled with the drug company, you can't sue for more. Its all out of your pocket now.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (08-02-2018),stjames1_53 (08-02-2018)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a plaintiff in a few. They don't compensate the injured more than a few bucks. Attorneys, on the other hand, make out like princes, which they most probably are not. These suits benefit lawyers at the expense of the injured. It's insult to injury is really what it is.

I throw the notices away anymore.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Common (08-02-2018),Helena (08-02-2018),stjames1_53 (08-02-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The class action suits I'm familiar with and have joined were not at all frivolous, but for defrauding investors.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Helena (08-02-2018),stjames1_53 (08-02-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    Have you ever come across a class action suit that seemed worthy of joining? I never have. Most of them appear to be pretty frivolous.

https://www.ferraracandysettlement.com/?mid=10020442

https://www.ferraracandysettlement.c...(1).pdf#page=1

Who are the people joining these class action suits and trying to get in on the judgements or settlements? The cap on this on for an individual is $7.50 Are people not aware that most monies from these things just feed the system?
    My boss got notified that her blood pressure medication was tainted by rocket fuel. She has gone through a lot of tests to see if there were any effects and she has a base line test done for future monitoring. I told her to look now for local attorneys who do class actions and be at the ground level- those are the only plaintiffs who make out. Even if she doesn't get cancer, the facts of the case should amount to a good boost to retirement savings.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Helena (08-02-2018),stjames1_53 (08-02-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still get a notice to join a class action suit once in awhile and never even heard of the company. Seems possible that I'm on some sort of mailing list to receive solicitations to join the things. Don't know. Don't pay attention.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (08-02-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent articles; real eye openers. Great posting!
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,660
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,164x in 6,407 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    What was the Chase credit one about?
    Been awhile but I think charging to much interest on something.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

Helena (08-03-2018),stjames1_53 (08-02-2018)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,934x in 8,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are certain legal firms that specialize in class action lawsuits. Many of them are the ambulance chasers of the class action world and tend to sue for damages in the absence of any proof of damage or injury, but on the potential of same, or with only a few actual injured parties but if they can sign up thousands of members they can make a mint off of any settlement. Anyone with actual injuries or other forms of damage should avoid these suits and sue privately. However, there are legitimate class actions with bona fide victims and often a class action is the only way that they can afford to take on institutional or big corporate offenders.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Helena (08-03-2018)

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Major Lambda's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 266x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    There are certain legal firms that specialize in class action lawsuits. Many of them are the ambulance chasers of the class action world and tend to sue for damages in the absence of any proof of damage or injury, but on the potential of same, or with only a few actual injured parties but if they can sign up thousands of members they can make a mint off of any settlement. Anyone with actual injuries or other forms of damage should avoid these suits and sue privately. However, there are legitimate class actions with bona fide victims and often a class action is the only way that they can afford to take on institutional or big corporate offenders.
    And still, sometimes its the way the ball bounces.

Lawsuits. Lives turned upside down, manipulated and pulled out of order. Manipulation, time consuming, mind and psyche games on the witnesses, moderate and sometimes extreme amounts of stress on the participants, and in the worse circumstances is witness intimidation and witness tampering. Protect the witnesses and protect the case, as sometimes threats and intimidation occurs. The integrity of the case must be protected at all costs, but sometimes, even the innocent has to play the legal games and jump through hoops ; after all, MONEY is on the line. Lives disrupted, friends and sometimes families lost forever, people upset, worry and concern. Strong words said, arguing in public, illusions and manipulation of individuals lives, spook games ; all over MONEY !

Where is the protection for the witnesses from intentional inflicted duress and hardships?

If motions for continuance get approved, people age years and still argue and fight, over BRAGGING rights and money. Still, the games must go on. Nothing is better than a plaintiff, making a corporate lawyer walk out of the courtroom after a decision, wearing nothing but his boxer underwear - socks and wingtips.

Is it worth it. Better decide before going to the circuit clerks office, or Federal Court with your filing. Sometimes the end does not justify the means. People get treated terrible in some lawsuits.

Lawsuits are about winning. And in the end, as DGUTLEY told earlier in his C8 lawsuit, is bragging rights. Winners and braggarts, losers and bar flys whom soak their sorrows in the second guessing their of case and doubting themselves and wishing they had done things differently.

Lawsuits settle damages, correct wrongs and make the guilty pay. Payment is especially gratifying in gross negligence. Lawsuits are supposed to be cut and dry ( but some are not always that way), start and finish defined. Lawsuits are not supposed to be about ego trips, the laughing and bragging of victory at the ski lodge while sitting at the fire place drinking a Scotch and Soda. Lawsuits are not about the rich and powerful taking the easy route while the blue color worker suffers through the ordeal.

I've been doing the Security Gig for sometime. My Medical experience and my current job, I have been around, close to, and at a distance from many of legal actions. A lot of times, I scratch my head and wonder. Why did some things happen the way they did. Why did legal counsel screw over their own client? Why did legal counsel play minds games and illusions with their own client and engage in questionable actions? Why did legal counsel play games with their client and blame those games and hardships on another party or person? I feel sorry for some people, trust and confidence eroded, the very sight of some people to litigants makes the litigants sick.

Lawyers, small time, acting like they are in the big world. Monty Hall : "Lets make a deal." Because some lawyers are terrified of the court room.

I've met some good lawyers, and I have met some bad ones, mostly more bad lawyers than good ones. I've walked into some places and seen someone I did not even want to be around, and turned around and left.

Again having been in, near, around, at a distance and also close to some litigation ; I'd just assume stay away from the hysteria and legal antics. I'm a high speed / low drag security apparatus. I have good ears and better eyesight most of the time. I'm a stocky built guy, whom is former Military and my military training - THANK GOD , has served me well as a civilian.

You all litigate, and I will enjoy my night sky and alcohol under the stars.

Nothing worse than being used and abused in the sake of MONEY.

Reality of some legal cases that have hit home, as I have witnessed / heard of similar events, is watching the movie "Runaway Jury". Then in relation to damage and legal antics, destroying trust and confidence ; watch "Class Action."

Major Lambda
    Last edited by Major Lambda; 08-06-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,934x in 8,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Lambda View Post
    And still, sometimes its the way the ball bounces.

Lawsuits. Lives turned upside down, manipulated and pulled out of order. Manipulation, time consuming, mind and psyche games on the witnesses, moderate and sometimes extreme amounts of stress on the participants, and in the worse circumstances is witness intimidation and witness tampering. Protect the witnesses and protect the case, as sometimes threats and intimidation occurs. The integrity of the case must be protected at all costs, but sometimes, even the innocent has to play the legal games and jump through hoops ; after all, MONEY is on the line. Lives disrupted, friends and sometimes families lost forever, people upset, worry and concern. Strong words said, arguing in public, illusions and manipulation of individuals lives, spook games ; all over MONEY !

Where is the protection for the witnesses from intentional inflicted duress and hardships?

If motions for continuance get approved, people age years and still argue and fight, over BRAGGING rights and money. Still, the games must go on. Nothing is better than a plaintiff, making a corporate lawyer walk out of the courtroom after a decision, wearing nothing but his boxer underwear - socks and wingtips.

Is it worth it. Better decide before going to the circuit clerks office, or Federal Court with your filing. Sometimes the end does not justify the means. People get treated terrible in some lawsuits.

Lawsuits are about winning. And in the end, as DGUTLEY told earlier in his C8 lawsuit, is bragging rights. Winners and braggarts, losers and bar flys whom soak their sorrows in the second guessing their of case and doubting themselves and wishing they had done things differently.

Lawsuits settle damages, correct wrongs and make the guilty pay. Payment is especially gratifying in gross negligence. Lawsuits are supposed to be cut and dry ( but some are not always that way), start and finish defined. Lawsuits are not supposed to be about ego trips, the laughing and bragging of victory at the ski lodge while sitting at the fire place drinking a Scotch and Soda. Lawsuits are not about the rich and powerful taking the easy route while the blue color worker suffers through the ordeal.

I've been doing the Security Gig for sometime. My Medical experience and my current job, I have been around, close to, and at a distance from many of legal actions. A lot of times, I scratch my head and wonder. Why did some things happen the way they did. Why did legal counsel screw over their own client? Why did legal counsel play minds games and illusions with their own client and engage in questionable actions? Why did legal counsel play games with their client and blame those games and hardships on another party or person? I feel sorry for some people, trust and confidence eroded, the very sight of some people to litigants makes the litigants sick.

Lawyers, small time, acting like they are in the big world. Monty Hall : "Lets make a deal." Because some lawyers are terrified of the court room.

I've met some good lawyers, and I have met some bad ones, mostly more bad lawyers than good ones. I've walked into some places and seen someone I did not even want to be around, and turned around and left.

Again having been in, near, around, at a distance and also close to some litigation ; I'd just assume stay away from the hysteria and legal antics. I'm a high speed / low drag security apparatus. I have good ears and better eyesight most of the time. I'm a stocky built guy, whom is former Military and my military training - THANK GOD , has served me well as a civilian.

You all litigate, and I will enjoy my night sky and alcohol under the stars.

Nothing worse than being used and abused in the sake of MONEY.

Reality of some legal cases that have hit home, as I have witnessed / heard of similar events, is watching the movie "Runaway Jury". Then in relation to damage and legal antics, destroying trust and confidence ; watch "Class Action."

Major Lambda
    I'm not a lawyer, but my industry is involved with class actions suits and civil litigation.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Major Lambda (08-08-2018)

+ Reply to Thread