Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,557x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Drug addiction has biological components, but is ultimately psychological in origin. It's clearly a form of self-medication.
    No, not really.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,220x in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I am writing a paper proposing a research study and I came across this when I was randomly looking for information on the evolution (biological) of the human body to metabolize ethanol.

This isn't very scientific, although it cites studies, but it is actually kind of neat to think about. Makes sense.

Origins of Human Alcohol Consumption Revealed
    It appears Europeans have a greater tolerance compared to say Native Americans due to a longer generational exposure.

I recently gave up all alcohol which will be hard because I am somewhat involved with a distillery but old men and alcohol ain’t a good mix and I have trouble with moderation.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,587x in 36,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Drug addiction has biological components, but is ultimately psychological in origin. It's clearly a form of self-medication.
    Obviously. Sadly, this model has been pushed on addicts and has become a crutch for them. I will admit it served a purpose of sorts in alleviating the social stigma of addiction but it's no longer useful let alone scientific.
    Last edited by Mister D; 08-05-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,549x in 55,058 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've always heard this: The History Of Beer And Why Civilization As We Know It May Have Started Because Of It

Around 6,000 years ago, ancient Sumerians living in the Fertile Crescent recorded the first known instance of purposeful beer brewing. The grain-based beverage has since become integral to countless cultures around the world, inspiring men to risk their lives for distribution, inciting riots in the streets of New York City and bringing international renown to cultural events like Oktoberfest.

But there’s a theory that beer holds an even more important place in history, that civilization itself owes its very existence to the beverage — the “beer before bread” theory.

“There is a perfectly respectable academic theory that civilization began with beer,” writes Michael Jackson, the author of World Guide to Beer.

...But which came first — and which was more important — is as fiercely debated in certain circles as any origin story. Yet, since the 1950s, scholars have been unearthing evidence that beer “civilized” humans, not bread....
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a beer after reading this!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Admiral Ackbar For This Useful Post:

Common (08-05-2018),midcan5 (08-05-2018)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend I grew up with was an alcoholic, he was a very skilled cabinet and custom carpentry tradesman very much in demand. He never drank when he was working but lord how he would sweat by the end of the day and you could see tremors in his hands. His father was a rotten evil vicious violent drunken pos who EVERYONE hated including his family. He used to beat his wife unmercifully, she finally left him.

My friend RIP was addicted to alcohol I have no doubts he was physically and psychologically addicted.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that beer was brewed because the water was bad. The people din't why the water was bad but they knew it was. A light alcohol beer cleaned the water.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,498x in 1,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting high doesn't require alcohol, lots of other plants and synthetics out there. An interesting take on alcohol consumption is the social aspect, and that humans act like they are drinking alcohol even when none is contained in the drink. Will Storr writes about this in 'The Unpersuadables: Adventures with the Enemies of Science.' People act as they imagine they are supposed to act. I take that with a grain of salt, but having been to many kocktail parties I'm not sure. But then again the placebo effect is well studied.

"Like a bird on the wire,
    Like a drunk in a midnight choir
    I have tried in my way to be free" Leonard Cohen

Kocktail misspelled
    Last edited by midcan5; 08-05-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It has been well established that the "reward system" in the nervous system is responsible for cravings and reactions to cues, as well as conforming to encourage addiction. Specifically, the "reward system" is the mesolimbic dopamine pathway, mesocortical pathway, nucleus accumbens, ventral tegmental area, and endogenous opioid system with involvement of hyperactive glutamates, γ-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) receptors/signaling, neurokinin 1 (NK1), opioid receptors, and polymorphisms with the mu-opioid receptor gene. Neuroplasticity rewires the alcoholic brain to cause something known as "reward-based learning" that basically is a biological nudge to continue with addiction, making it cyclical (alcohol impacts the brain, the brain takes note and changes, brain encourages drinking, drinking impacts the brain, so on).

The biological component is huge; evolution, genetics, neuroanatomy, etc.. This biological aspect is more important than the psychological one, in my opinion; you may start drinking because of something in your life but you stay drinking mostly because of your brain. Psychological therapies and group therapies on their own are unsuccessful in most individuals, who will relapse possibly multiple times or never recover, and pharmaceutical and neuromodulatory techniques should be used more frequently. Currently, two-thirds of addiction clinics that deal with alcoholism refuse to use proven drug or neurostimulation therapies (FDA-approved) and entirely focus on alcohol dependence as an issue of willpower. Why not also bring back prohibition? Probably be about as effective. Therapy models like AA are only going to work on a limited number of alcoholics, and certain types of alcoholics, although still beneficial to most (just not effective as sole treatment modality). Most are going to require the assistance of medications like naltrexone, acamprosate, disulfiram, and so on, as well as TMS, tDCS, and neurofeedback.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just more tales of how it all started. When one may not know what is in the water when it is brewed. If not clear, where is the civilized? The whole idea got changed. So, then is served the fresh-baked bread. They eat and drink up until it gets old. They're hungry, so decide they may need some butter for those new servings of bread. But then no one knows where their wallet is after it is misplaced. Then the party's over for it's needed.

Besides, there is proof of civilizations older than the most unpredictable of moods sung. It's so much better to view the skies at night, to view the clouds and starred dimensions. That just might be the same direction of where civilizations of a much higher order, that far surpass anything found on Earth at the present moment, that were put into disrepair because Earth is said to have been occupied. Ten colonies later, they all died.
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

+ Reply to Thread