Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    Lol, are you guys reading about the same trial I am?
    Come on man, you know it is alternative facts and fake news. Manafort isn't even real, just a figment of everyone's imagination.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

Agent Zero (08-20-2018),Crepitus (08-08-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,393x in 27,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Lambda View Post
    Manafort is guilty, guilty as hell.
    Nonsense.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day Seven:

Former Manafort partner Rick Gates wrapped up his testimony as defense lawyers hinted that he had had four adulterous affairs.
    • An FBI accountant testified that $60 million flowed through Manafort’s accounts from 2010 to 2014.
    • Prosecutors continued to clash with the judge over the speed of the trial and whether a witness should have been watching the trial.

Next up for prosecutors is IRS Revenue Agent Michael Welch, who was assigned in April to help prosecutors prepare for trial. Welch testified that he examined Paul Manafort’s business and tax records and, as with the last witness, prepared charts summarizing what he had found.
    Welch’s appearance on the stand triggered another heated confrontation between Judge T.S. Ellis III and prosecutors. After going through Welch’s qualifications, prosecutors asked whether he could be treated as an “expert” witness — meaning he, unlike other witnesses, will be allowed to offer his professional opinion in court. Ellis said he could do so. Assistant U.S. Attorney Uzo Asonye then revealed that Welch had been seated in the courtroom for the duration of the proceedings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8d0ab990d2d5
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Jurors in the Paul Manafort trial resumed deliberations on their third day as they weigh 18 counts of bank and tax fraud against" ...Paul Manafort.

Things take time.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Jurors in the Paul Manafort trial are wrestling with plenty of questions as they consider 18 bank- and tax-fraud counts against President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman. Some are simple –- did that witness tell the truth? Others are mind-numbingly complex -- what is a financial interest in a foreign account? Here are some of the disputed areas that jurors must wade through, and the legal instructions from U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III:"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-20/manafort-jury-wrestling-with-tough-choices-before-a-verdict''

Many jury watchers say the longer the jury deliberates the better the outcome will likely be for Paul Manafort.

"Manafort’s lawyers say Rick Gates, Manafort’s former right-hand man, is the linchpin to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s case and jurors must acquit if they don’t believe him. Gates, who pleaded guilty and hopes to avoid prison, told jurors how he helped Manafort commit crimes."

Gates was not credible.

The big concern, "i
    n the U.S. legal system, every criminal defendant is presumed innocent, and prosecutors must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Manafort’s lawyers say jurors must acquit because prosecutors failed to meet that burden."

This is why I believe Manafort's lawyers did not offer a defense beyond their opening statements, cross examinations and closing statements.

"
    a person has a financial interest in an account if they are the owner of record or have title to it, whether it benefits them or someone else."

This is complicated. I wonder how many jurists simply turned off during this part of the trial.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Your honor, if we cannot come to a consensus on a single count, how should we fill in the jury verdict form for that count,”

I pondered what this might mean. Does it mean the jury cannot agree on any count or does it mean they agree on every count but one? The second half of the sentence implies they agree on all but one count. Will the jury find Manafort not guilty on every count but one where they do not agree? Or will they find him guilty on every count but one where they cannot agree?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (08-21-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,553x in 94,975 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    “Your honor, if we cannot come to a consensus on a single count, how should we fill in the jury verdict form for that count,”

I pondered what this might mean. Does it mean the jury cannot agree on any count or does it mean they agree on every count but one? The second half of the sentence implies they agree on all but one count. Will the jury find Manafort not guilty on every count but one where they do not agree? Or will they find him guilty on every count but one where they cannot agree?
    I am not sure what it means.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I am not sure what it means.
    I don't believe anyone outside the jury members know.

I hope it means not guilty on all charges but one where the jury is deadlocked.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,080x in 797 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    The judge told the jury that Gates was inconsistent. This judge is going to dismiss the case with predjudice.
    So, would you say that's the biggest fail of a prediction you've ever made on this board, or have you ever failed somewhere else even more spectacularly?

And are you sticking with the "It's all a deep state conspiracy against DearLeaderTrump" conspiracy theory, or are you switching to a "Manafort had nothing to do with Trump, so it doesn't matter, and you liberals are all stupid for thinking it does!" line of retreat?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post
    So, would you say that's the biggest fail of a prediction you've ever made on this board, or have you ever failed somewhere else even more spectacularly?

And are you sticking with the "It's all a deep state conspiracy against DearLeaderTrump" conspiracy theory, or are you switching to a "Manafort had nothing to do with Trump, so it doesn't matter, and you liberals are all stupid for thinking it does!" line of retreat?
    What, in your opinion, is the connection between Manafort's trials and President Trump?

+ Reply to Thread