User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Exercise linked to better mental health - but too much may do harm

  1. #1
    Original Ranter
    Points: 513,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    423588
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    154,838
    Points
    513,714
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    90,178
    Thanked 74,564x in 50,562 Posts
    Mentioned
    2197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exercise linked to better mental health - but too much may do harm

    Exercise linked to better mental health - but too much may do harm

    The article does not offer a reason why too much exercise isn't great for your mental health.

























    Exercise linked to better mental health - but too much may do harm




    ReutersAugust 8, 2018













    FILE PHOTO: A jogger runs along the seawall in Stanley Park with the city skyline in the background in this June 24, 2003 file photo. REUTERS/Andy Clark
    More

    LONDON(Reuters) - A study in the United States has found that people who exercise several times a week report having better mental health than those who take no exercise, with team sports and those involving social groups having the most positive effect.
    The research also found that more exercise was not always better for psychological wellbeing, with people who exercise every day reporting lower levels of mental health.
    Exercising for around 45 minutes three to five times a week was associated with the biggest benefits, according to results of the study published in The Lancet Psychiatry journal.
    The study included all types of physical activity, ranging from childcare, housework, lawn-mowing and fishing to cycling, going to the gym, running and skiing.
    Exercise is known to bring health benefits by reducing the risk of illnesses such as heart disease, stroke and diabetes, but its links with mental health were less clear.
    Some evidence suggests exercise may improve mental health, but experts note that the relationship could go both ways with inactivity being both a symptom of, and contributor to, poor mental health.









    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (08-09-2018)

  3. #2
    Points: 52,996, Level: 56
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,454
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    192046
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    23,856
    Points
    52,996
    Level
    56
    Thanks Given
    4,456
    Thanked 15,241x in 9,519 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much intense working out can temporarily fry your central nervous system. I know, I've been there.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (08-09-2018)

  5. #3
    Points: 10,895, Level: 25
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Lummy's Avatar Post Review / PM Disabled
    Karma
    1780
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4,783
    Points
    10,895
    Level
    25
    Thanks Given
    1,098
    Thanked 1,775x in 1,331 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Physical and mental fatigue are partly due to an inability to efficiently remove built up toxins resulting from the body's metabolism because there's just too much of it. Moderate exercise facilitates this process but overexercise strains it. Keep in mind that the brain has to compete for nourishment demanded by an over-stressed body.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

    Mister D (08-09-2018),Peter1469 (08-09-2018)

  7. #4
    Points: 112,121, Level: 81
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,529
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    80099
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    37,876
    Points
    112,121
    Level
    81
    Thanks Given
    5,846
    Thanked 12,064x in 9,136 Posts
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Exercise linked to better mental health - but too much may do harm

    The article does not offer a reason why too much exercise isn't great for your mental health.


























    Exercise linked to better mental health - but too much may do harm






    ReutersAugust 8, 2018













    FILE PHOTO: A jogger runs along the seawall in Stanley Park with the city skyline in the background in this June 24, 2003 file photo. REUTERS/Andy Clark
    More

    LONDON(Reuters) - A study in the United States has found that people who exercise several times a week report having better mental health than those who take no exercise, with team sports and those involving social groups having the most positive effect.
    The research also found that more exercise was not always better for psychological wellbeing, with people who exercise every day reporting lower levels of mental health.
    Exercising for around 45 minutes three to five times a week was associated with the biggest benefits, according to results of the study published in The Lancet Psychiatry journal.
    The study included all types of physical activity, ranging from childcare, housework, lawn-mowing and fishing to cycling, going to the gym, running and skiing.
    Exercise is known to bring health benefits by reducing the risk of illnesses such as heart disease, stroke and diabetes, but its links with mental health were less clear.
    Some evidence suggests exercise may improve mental health, but experts note that the relationship could go both ways – with inactivity being both a symptom of, and contributor to, poor mental health.










    Mental Health is investing on wellness programing largely for reasons like this

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (08-09-2018)

  9. #5
    Original Ranter
    Points: 513,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    423588
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    154,838
    Points
    513,714
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    90,178
    Thanked 74,564x in 50,562 Posts
    Mentioned
    2197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Physical and mental fatigue are partly due to an inability to efficiently remove built up toxins resulting from the body's metabolism because there's just too much of it. Moderate exercise facilitates this process but overexercise strains it. Keep in mind that the brain has to compete for nourishment demanded by an over-stressed body.
    People who exercise a lot need to supplement. Don't listen to people who claim your usual diet will cover it. It perhaps covers couch potatoes.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    Mister D (08-09-2018)

  11. #6
    Original Ranter
    Points: 221,872, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    395513
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    88,835
    Points
    221,872
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    17,550
    Thanked 32,455x in 23,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    People who exercise a lot need to supplement. Don't listen to people who claim your usual diet will cover it. It perhaps covers couch potatoes.
    I'm not sold on supplements aside from Vitamin D but I agree about people being far too cavalier about the average diet.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  12. #7
    Original Ranter
    Points: 221,872, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    395513
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    88,835
    Points
    221,872
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    17,550
    Thanked 32,455x in 23,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Physical and mental fatigue are partly due to an inability to efficiently remove built up toxins resulting from the body's metabolism because there's just too much of it. Moderate exercise facilitates this process but overexercise strains it. Keep in mind that the brain has to compete for nourishment demanded by an over-stressed body.
    Interesting point about the brain.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  13. #8
    Original Ranter
    Points: 221,872, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    395513
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    88,835
    Points
    221,872
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    17,550
    Thanked 32,455x in 23,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was actually going to buy a protein supplement but I opted for low fat milk, Greek Yogurt and Skyr. Maybe 40% of my protein comes from low fat dairy now and I feel better. Fewer cramps and the tendinitis in my hamstring is a non-issue most of the time now.

    Skyr is awesome, BTW. Not sure who has heard of it. It's basically Iceland's version of yogurt.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (08-10-2018)

  15. #9
    Original Ranter
    Points: 513,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    423588
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    154,838
    Points
    513,714
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    90,178
    Thanked 74,564x in 50,562 Posts
    Mentioned
    2197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I'm not sold on supplements aside from Vitamin D but I agree about people being far too cavalier about the average diet.
    I am sold on them. Although, you would be wise to have blood work done to see what you actually need and don't need.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  16. #10
    Original Ranter
    Points: 513,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    423588
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    154,838
    Points
    513,714
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    90,178
    Thanked 74,564x in 50,562 Posts
    Mentioned
    2197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I was actually going to buy a protein supplement but I opted for low fat milk, Greek Yogurt and Skyr. Maybe 40% of my protein comes from low fat dairy now and I feel better. Fewer cramps and the tendinitis in my hamstring is a non-issue most of the time now.

    Skyr is awesome, BTW. Not sure who has heard of it. It's basically Iceland's version of yogurt.
    Skyr is my choice for yogurt.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO