Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Violence Against Women Act to Expire

The Violence Against Women Act is set to expire at the end of September, which, being as Congress doesn't reconvene until September 4th, gives both the House and Senate together just 11 legislative days to reauthorize the law. In spite of previous versions of the legislation passing with bipartisan support, the updated measure introduced to reauthorize funding for violence prevention and redress services (shelters, attorneys, that sort of thing) doesn’t have a single Republican co-sponsor, and had to be introduced in the House of Representatives instead of the Senate for the first time, which suggests that the bill's champions in the Senate were not confident of having sufficient or immediate support. The bill will also have to be signed into law by the current president and, if it signals anything, the Department of Justice is responsible for carrying out VAWA but the head of the DOJ, Jeff Sessions, opposed even a more modest version of the Act in 2013 when he was a Senator. I also frankly think we know what the general attitude of the current president toward questions of domestic and sexual violence is by the many accusations that stand against him and any number of his campaign and White House hires to date and by the way that he and his have thus far responded to them.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm not at all confident that this crucial law will be reauthorized. This is an important law and I think it would be remarkable if the governing political party's response to the popularization of the #MeToo movement over the last year were indeed to allow this law, which is the only federal law that treats domestic and sexual violence as serious crimes (and yes its services do attend to male victims as well; the name of the law simply recognizes who the principal victims of such violence overwhelmingly are), to expire. That would say quite a lot about what the Republican Party has become of late.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 08-11-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,409x in 94,887 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is something that must be done at the state and local level. The federal government has no authority in this matter. See US Const., Art 1, sec. 8.

I have somehow stumbled into our local safe houses for abused women. We have good programs but of course I am in a major population center. I would support initiatives to encourage localities to make this a priority.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-11-2018),MisterVeritis (08-11-2018)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there really anything in it that isn't already covered in other law?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-11-2018),Mr.Soxes (08-11-2018),nathanbforrest45 (08-11-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    This is something that must be done at the state and local level. The federal government has no authority in this matter. See US Const., Art 1, sec. 8.

I have somehow stumbled into our local safe houses for abused women. We have good programs but of course I am in a major population center. I would support initiatives to encourage localities to make this a priority.
    Parts of it were struck down in United States v. Morrison by an arguably conservative court in 1994 (Rehnquist, during his Commerce Clause enforcement spree). I actually agree with that ruling, but my point is that there is really no reason that the remaining portions can't be a federal act/action. The Crime Victims Rights Act is perfectly legal, so I do not see a reason VAWA can't be.

And it is necessary because some states have been rapidly defunding support and crisis centers. Same reason there has to be federal legislation about the rights of all victims of crime. State legislation largely mimics the federal legislation, but it probably wouldn't if the federal legislation did not exist.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (08-11-2018),Standing Wolf (08-11-2018)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Parts of it were struck down in United States v. Morrison by an arguably conservative court in 1994 (Rehnquist, during his Commerce Clause enforcement spree). I actually agree with that ruling, but my point is that there is really no reason that the remaining portions can't be a federal act/action. The Crime Victims Rights Act is perfectly legal, so I do not see a reason VAWA can't be.

And it is necessary because some states have been rapidly defunding support and crisis centers. Same reason there has to be federal legislation about the rights of all victims of crime. State legislation largely mimics the federal legislation, but it probably wouldn't if the federal legislation did not exist.

That points to a bigger problem: states emasculating themselves before the federal government.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-11-2018),stjames1_53 (08-11-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    That points to a bigger problem: states emasculating themselves before the federal government.
    States need guidance sometimes. Generally, I support state rights and do not agree with many of, what I view as, abuses by the federal government. But on this specific issue, the states do some whacky $#@! and both VAWA and the Crime Victims Rights Act protect victims.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-11-2018)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    States need guidance sometimes. Generally, I support state rights and do not agree with many of, what I view as, abuses by the federal government. But on this specific issue, the states do some whacky $#@! and both VAWA and the Crime Victims Rights Act protect victims.
    In the United States, states do not need guidance from the federal government. That is how this was set up.

But it turned out poorly. Much of the blame goes to people who don't understand our Constitution and people who actively are against it. Like Obama.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-11-2018),MisterVeritis (08-11-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to know when are they going to pass the Anti Violence Against Elderly Bald Head Men Act. I mean everyone else is covered by a specific act. Why not us?

Not to make light of violence against women (my wife was an apartment manager for a complex established by the YWCA for battered women) but there are already dozens of laws covering assault and harassment. Why do we need a federal law that can easily be handled by the state or local government?

And by states needing "guidance" what you really mean is states need to be forced to do what the federal government dictates they should be doing.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (08-11-2018),Peter1469 (08-11-2018)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,625x in 14,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    The Violence Against Women Act is set to expire at the end of September, which, being as Congress doesn't reconvene until September 4th, gives both the House and Senate together just 11 legislative days to reauthorize the law. In spite of previous versions of the legislation passing with bipartisan support, the updated measure introduced to reauthorize funding for violence prevention and redress services (shelters, attorneys, that sort of thing) doesn’t have a single Republican co-sponsor, and had to be introduced in the House of Representatives instead of the Senate for the first time, which suggests that the bill's champions in the Senate were not confident of having sufficient or immediate support. The bill will also have to be signed into law by the current president and, if it signals anything, the Department of Justice is responsible for carrying out VAWA but the head of the DOJ, Jeff Sessions, opposed even a more modest version of the Act in 2013 when he was a Senator. I also frankly think we know what the general attitude of the current president toward questions of domestic and sexual violence is by the many accusations that stand against him and any number of his campaign and White House hires to date and by the way that he and his have thus far responded to them.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm not at all confident that this crucial law will be reauthorized. This is an important law and I think it would be remarkable if the governing political party's response to the popularization of the #MeToo movement over the last year were indeed to allow this law, which is the only federal law that treats domestic and sexual violence as serious crimes (and yes its services do attend to male victims as well; the name of the law simply recognizes who the principal victims of such violence overwhelmingly are), to expire. That would say quite a lot about what the Republican Party has become of late.

It turns out a shocking number of men are physically abused , many by women. They are equally emotionally abused as well. Granted the violence is often less severe due to physics but it's still assault. Yet some "domestic violence " organizations simply use the female pronoun on their websites. So any such program helped by the government needs to be gender neutral ( separate buildings of course)
    However, I don't think we need special laws. Just enforce what we have. If a woman slaps her husband that's assault. If a man beats a woman , drags her around the house and prevents her from leaving charge him with the multiple felonies he has committed.
    If either sex uses weapons to intimidate their partner they should be charged.

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,406x in 54,982 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dems introduce measure to reauthorize Violence Against Women Act

But the reauthorization bill introduced Thursday adds some provisions to the law, such as expanding housing protections for survivors and creating a Violence Against Women director position within the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
    Democrats were dumb to add provisions. Probably a political ploy.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (08-11-2018)

+ Reply to Thread