Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,650x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Everyone, true, but how many "took it off the backs of others or from a tilted table" is probably not that many in the grand scheme of things. Not enough to characterize the market as such.

It's not just the market Chris. That's simply legal gambling which favors insiders.. The table is tilted in many ways. Look at the dollars corporations spend on lobbying? Much of that is meant to tilt the table.
    The super rich have advantages in so many ways. If they did not profit from undue influence they would not attempt to influence as much as they do.

If you distributed all the money evenly tomorrow you'd have super rich again after a while , but on most cases not the same super rich. And if you set the system up to keep an even table the distribution of wealth would head down from the ridiculously high amint current held by the super rich

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mr.Soxes's Avatar Post Review / PM Disabled
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 155x in 118 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    It's not just the market Chris. That's simply legal gambling which favors insiders.. The table is tilted in many ways. Look at the dollars corporations spend on lobbying? Much of that is meant to tilt the table.
    The super rich have advantages in so many ways. If they did not profit from undue influence they would not attempt to influence as much as they do.

If you distributed all the money evenly tomorrow you'd have super rich again after a while , but on most cases not the same super rich. And if you set the system up to keep an even table the distribution of wealth would head down from the ridiculously high amint current held by the super rich
    That should be taxed like lotto,cigarettes and booze is!MAGA

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Soxes For This Useful Post:

donttread (08-12-2018)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Soxes View Post
    That should be taxed like lotto,cigarettes and booze is!MAGA

Certainly not at 20% off 47,000,000 in unearned income , where that much earned income would of paid twice that rate.
    Last edited by donttread; 08-12-2018 at 04:55 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Mr.Soxes (08-12-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,542x in 55,054 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The market is simply where people trade. THe problem comes when people abandon economic means for political means: "Look at the dollars corporations spend on lobbying? Much of that is meant to tilt the table. The super rich have advantages in so many ways. If they did not profit from undue influence they would not attempt to influence as much as they do." And do so only because of the great power of the central government and its corrupt politicians.

If you distributed all the money evenly tomorrow you'd have super rich again after a while , but on most cases not the same super rich.
    That's the Pareto Principle. It's also Nozick's famous Wilt Chamberlain argument where he says redistribute wealth however you like, people will want to see a star like Chamberlain play, and so wealth will again flow to him and other stars.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    If and when enough people get fed up with the current system in place, you'll have change; until then it'll be the status quo.
    Will that change come in time to be political in nature though?

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rich or more specifically the super rich have been grabbing an increasing share of the pie for decades through democrat and repub regimes . The timing of when it began is oddly close to when IRA's pushed everyman towards the stock market. The bigger the market the more the super rich will ,make and the more wealth they will accumulate comparitively.
    So what. I don't care what someone else makes on an investment. I do care what I make. When I was young the idea of having any investment was ridiculous. Yet, here I am, retired and living very well. If you haven't taken advantage of the market ...well, boo hoo.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    I have only been on this forum a short time now, but I think I have observed that Agent Zero is usually wrong in his understanding of how things work. Perhaps we should all be patient and try to educate him. One day the light bulb might come on.
    Nah. Look at where he works.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Brought to us by the man who has an Amazon and Facebook Account. Owns several Apple products, uses modern electronics, owns an automobile that burns gasoline, a home that uses a thousand different corporate products...and has a 401k.

In other words.....oops.

Yes, much like a POW offered food by captors he hates, I use the products I need to use when other opportunities don't exist but would still like better, fairer, opportunities. I've told you that several times. What part is it you have trouble with?
    Also 401 K's are great but I should have the same tax deferment option for investment in local business for example,. That's what makes that unfair and hostile to local economies. We could have internet and electronics with smaller corporations.

How do you explain the massive increase in the wealth held by the top 1% or so in the past few decades? Are today's super rich smarter that yesterdays? Are the rest of you who call this capitalism dumber that the general public of years ago? Or has the tilted table and the government pushing everyman into the stock market helped them accumulate a higher and higher percentage of wealth?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The market is simply where people trade. THe problem comes when people abandon economic means for political means: "Look at the dollars corporations spend on lobbying? Much of that is meant to tilt the table. The super rich have advantages in so many ways. If they did not profit from undue influence they would not attempt to influence as much as they do." And do so only because of the great power of the central government and its corrupt politicians.

That's the Pareto Principle. It's also Nozick's famous Wilt Chamberlain argument where he says redistribute wealth however you like, people will want to see a star like Chamberlain play, and so wealth will again flow to him and other stars.

The market is a gamble based on information about human emotion and a damn poor indicator of the economic health of any country. Large companies don't change value by full percentage points very often and such changes almost alway "correct". Their assets vs. liabilities, goodwill, etc change little but games and emotion change much. Wall street types can even bet on a companies failure. that's gambling plain and simple.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget the grammar.? * You;; seem to understand what I'm saying. Look at the truth in the content. The view that everyone legally and morally earned everything they have and that none of them took it off the backs of others or from a tilted table is ridiculous.
    If you disagree defend your point, if you can??!!
    Umm, you said the last 30 years. I hate to break this to you. Joe Kennedy has been dead longer than that.
    I couldn't get through this. I do know that no one has ever said the rich have always been on the up and up. I also don't care. I want what I make not what someone else makes.

"Tilted table." Jeez, life isn't fair. It never has been and never will be.
    Last edited by Captdon; 08-12-2018 at 05:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread