PDA

View Full Version : belief in climate change actually shifts with the weather

Chris
01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
A newly published study by climatologists and sociologists at the University of New Hampshire suggests the views of Independent voters on anthropogenic (i.e. caused by humans) climate change are as capricious as New England weather....

http://i.snag.gy/nJ5Nt.jpg

Now seems as good a time as any to remind everyone: weather ≠ climate, weather ≠ climate, weather ≠ climate.

The full study is available in the latest issue of Weather, Climate, and Society (http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/WCAS-D-12-00048.1).

@ Among Independent voters, belief in climate change actually shifts with the weather

[I]You don’t need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows
~Dylan, "Subterranean Homesick Blues"

Chloe
01-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Here is my frustration about denying man made climate change, or even that we can't affect our environment. It is one thing to say that climate change is natural and would happen with or without human influence, which it does happen since the Earth can and has gone through cycles, however, it is a whole other thing in my opinion to openly deny that human beings are contributing to those changes, whether slightly or greatly, as we dump vast amounts of air pollution into the atmosphere every single day of the year faster and more consistently than what nature would typically do on its own. There may very well be a cycle happening right now, BUT, to say that we can't affect our world and that we can just continue polluting our atmosphere, the ozone layer, and so on with massive amounts of air pollution and greenhouse gases without worry because we are so small and the Earth is so big, it is just irresponsible and at our our peril in my opinion.

Peter1469
01-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Here is my frustration about denying man made climate change, or even that we can't affect our environment. It is one thing to say that climate change is natural and would happen with or without human influence, which it does happen since the Earth can and has gone through cycles, however, it is a whole other thing in my opinion to openly deny that human beings are contributing to those changes, whether slightly or greatly, as we dump vast amounts of air pollution into the atmosphere every single day of the year faster and more consistently than what nature would typically do on its own. There may very well be a cycle happening right now, BUT, to say that we can't affect our world and that we can just continue polluting our atmosphere, the ozone layer, and so on with massive amounts of air pollution and greenhouse gases without worry because we are so small and the Earth is so big, it is just irresponsible and at our our peril in my opinion.

Just be careful. The big environmental groups have an anti-human agenda.

Chloe
01-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Just be careful. The big environmental groups have an anti-human agenda.

What do you mean?

Peter1469
01-26-2013, 07:30 PM
What do you mean?

The agenda of the major groups is either massive depopulation, or massive transfer of wealth with lifestyles going back to the pre -industrial age.

Chloe
01-26-2013, 07:33 PM
The agenda of the major groups is either massive depopulation, or massive transfer of wealth with lifestyles going back to the pre -industrial age.

I do think that a certain about of minimalism could benefit a lot of people, homes, and businesses, but obviously not to an extreme.

Peter1469
01-26-2013, 07:36 PM
I do think that a certain about of minimalism could benefit a lot of people, homes, and businesses, but obviously not to an extreme.

Then watch out what crowd you attach yourself too. They are too radical for you.

Chloe
01-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Then watch out what crowd you attach yourself too. They are too radical for you.

Oh I know, I don't look for radical people or groups to identify with or anything like that.

Chris
01-26-2013, 08:10 PM

Huh? All that from the fact people confuse weather with climate?

But I agree, deniers are foolish, foolish as alarmists.

Which leaves us with how much does man affect climate? What can he do about it? What should he?

Chloe
01-26-2013, 08:11 PM
I would like to do an internship with a few environmental groups sometime in the next year or two though. Trying to decide with which organization and stuff though will be tough

Chloe
01-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Huh? All that from the fact people confuse weather with climate?

But I agree, deniers are foolish, foolish as alarmists.

Which leaves us with how much does man affect climate? What can he do about it? What should he?

I was ranting a little I will admit, sorry about that.

Chloe
01-26-2013, 08:13 PM
I do think it is easy to confuse weather with climate though and I can see how that could affect people's opinions on man made climate change

Chris
01-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I was ranting a little I will admit, sorry about that.

No worries.

Why not find a climatologist to work with?

Chris
01-26-2013, 08:21 PM
I do think it is easy to confuse weather with climate though and I can see how that could affect people's opinions on man made climate change

The reason for that is twofold, (a) some scientists politicize it, and (b) the media does a lousy job reporting science, any science.

Chloe
01-26-2013, 08:25 PM
The reason for that is twofold, (a) some scientists politicize it, and (b) the media does a lousy job reporting science, any science.

I'd agree with that. I also think though that many people refuse to accept any responsibility for the harmful things that they do to our environment. They try to use that same science in ways to justify pollution.

Chris
01-26-2013, 08:37 PM
I'd agree with that. I also think though that many people refuse to accept any responsibility for the harmful things that they do to our environment. They try to use that same science in ways to justify pollution.

The same way some misuse science for the opposite purpose.

But what can you do, the science is too complicated for most people, so they rely on the media and politicians who have their own agendas. What we need are young people in science who can explain it.

Chloe
01-26-2013, 08:39 PM
The same way some misuse science for the opposite purpose.

But what can you do, the science is too complicated for most people, so they rely on the media and politicians who have their own agendas. What we need are young people in science who can explain it.

Give me a few years :grin:

Adelaide
01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
It's not just the weather that changes opinions; people, Republicans specifically, are more likely to say they believe in the general concept if you use the phrasing "climate change" instead of "global warming". There is a change somewhere in the region of 20-30%, which is significant.

Peter1469
01-26-2013, 10:03 PM
It's not just the weather that changes opinions; people, Republicans specifically, are more likely to say they believe in the general concept if you use the phrasing "climate change" instead of "global warming". There is a change somewhere in the region of 20-30%, which is significant.

The climate has never not been changing in earth's history.

Chris
01-26-2013, 10:41 PM

Actually, I think the history of it all started with global warming, then temps switched and it was global cooling, switched again and became climate change.

Chloe
01-26-2013, 10:51 PM
The climate has never not been changing in earth's history.

How can you say that?

Peter1469
01-26-2013, 11:54 PM
How can you say that?
Just as I said it. The climate is in a constant state of flux.

Chris
01-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Some illustrations...

http://snag.gy/cY1bi.jpg

http://i.snag.gy/CJXQD.jpg