PDA

View Full Version : NFL players union funding $100 million Harvard study on injury

Cigar
01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-51080478/turbine/chi-junior-seau-20130129/600

The union that represents U.S. professional football players has given Harvard University a $100 million grant for a study of the range of health problems, from brain damage to heart conditions, that affect current and former players.

Researchers with Harvard Medical School plan to spend a decade studying hundreds of former players who are members of the National Football League Players Association, university officials said on Tuesday. The aim is to develop strategies to limit the long-term damage that players suffer from years of hits on the field.

The recent suicides of a spate of former NFL players, including 12-time Pro Bowl linebacker Junior Seau, have raised concerns about the toll that blows to the head take on the brains of current and former players.

Scientists have found that years of steady, small hits can lead to a condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which at its start can cause victims to have a hard time concentrating on small tasks and eventually can lead to aggression and dementia.

Read more: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-nfl-players-union-concussions,0,1529684.story

I guess the decades and years of denial are now catching up with The Verified Medical Science of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. The good news is, it didn't take generations.

Chloe
01-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Something is going to have to eventually be done to help protect football players. Either they need to adjust the rules more or ban certain types of tackle and hits even more than they are. Safety is more important than huge hits in my opinion. I wouldn't let my future kid play football right now, not with all that we are finding out about the hits and how it affects their heads.

nic34
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
dang.... just when I thought we were going to see gladiators in Washington soon....

Cigar
01-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Something is going to have to eventually be done to help protect football players. Either they need to adjust the rules more or ban certain types of tackle and hits even more than they are. Safety is more important than huge hits in my opinion. I wouldn't let my future kid play football right now, not with all that we are finding out about the hits and how it affects their heads.

I'm not sure if you can protect then from themselves anymore than you can ensure Law Enforcement is safe. Especally with all the money that is involved. Just admit the danger and insure the family.

lynn
02-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Is this necessary to fund them that much to do a study when all they have to do is to call the healthcare insurance companies that insures these high risk individuals in sports and get all of the health info on this risk pool right at their disposal?