PDA

View Full Version : Winter Carnival

donttread
02-10-2019, 06:28 PM
My wife, daughter , son in law , their three kids ( known to the wife and I as grandchildren) made the 2 1/2 hour driver to Saranac Lake, NY today for the last day of their winter carnival which included an ice castle that never ceases to amaze me . What they can build with chunks of ice and mortar made form snow and water ( the technical term is slush, LOL) . Huge castel, rooms, a maze and dinosaur sculptures which were a big hit with the youngest. It involved a lot of walking but there is something I can't describe which makes "outdoors" tired so pleasant.

Peter1469
02-10-2019, 06:54 PM
I have done some hiking at Saranac Lake. Pretty country.

donttread
02-10-2019, 06:58 PM
I have done some hiking at Saranac Lake. Pretty country.

Yes it is . Did you do some of the high peaks?

Peter1469
02-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Yes it is . Did you do some of the high peaks?

Two of them. Don't remember the names.

donttread
02-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Two of them. Don't remember the names.

I was never much of a hiker when i was young. If i went into the woods it was to hunt , fish scout or camp. But sometime in our 50's the wife and I started hiking. A lot of taking the kids to fire towers and such but we also did two high peaks . In the same day! Actually a good share of the trail was shared so it wasn't like hiking both from scratch but I have seldom been that spent as we both have bad knees and such. But I am glad we did it. They were Cascade and Porter mountains.