PDA

View Full Version : Is It Wrong To Rely on Wikipedia

Conley
11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
It occurs to me as a I cite yet another article from there. Really, is Wikipedia that different from 'mob rule'? Is a whole future (and current) generation taking Wikipedia as gospel? Isn't it just a collection of summaries with bias built in to those rewrites from hand picked original sources?

Mister D
11-06-2011, 09:32 PM
I think Wiki is a great reference for uncontroversial topics. For example, I remember needing to refresh my memory on Neo-Babylonian history (it happens! :D) and the Wiki article had the info I needed. When I talk about race or anything controversial, however, I would never cite Wikipedia. It's useless.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Wikipedia is generally, GENERALLY an unbiased source of reasonably factual information.

... as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, I don't think citing it is irresponsible.

A lot of douchebags want to discredit Wikipedia because it's publicly edited. Every time I challenge them to show me something that is incorrectly or inaccurately printed on Wikipedia, they vanish like a fucking queef in the wind.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's pretty reliable by my reckoning.

MMC
11-07-2011, 12:38 AM
I dont mind wikipedia. It's not the only source I would use. Especially when one wants to go in depth.