PDA

View Full Version : Will the US Default on it's Debts.....

MMC
06-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Will the US default? Think the pols will stick around this 4th of JUly weekend to get any work done? Anyone know why they took a week off last month? Should these politicians be taking anytime off during these summer months when there is so much work to get done in thi country.

I am tired of hearing Libs and lefties talk about that these guys need time off. Not when they aren't doing anything. Not when they keep screwing up. not when they are lieing about the fiscal numbers.

Once again Obama blames the rich and that if they don't give up their tax breaks that it will affect the poor and elderly. Then for good measure they threw in the Veteran's not being funded. He keeps listening to Buffet who says he will give his. But a Buffet does not make a 14 course meal. Nor cook for himself. Thoughts?

GRUMPY
06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
what work needs to be done.....

MMC
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Well.....making sure we pay off our debts. Then we can pull-up from Libya. Work on passing legislation to knock Down Kerry's nation building and infrastructure bill would be a start. Pulling the rest of our Troopers out of Irag. Today we had 3 US soldiers killed. Plus in Iraq we are no longer allowed to engage the enemy. Iraqi Security Forces have to take the Lead. Hows That for a start Grumpy? ;D

GRUMPY
06-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Well.....making sure we pay off our debts. Then we can pull-up from Libya. Work on passing legislation to knock Down Kerry's nation building and infrastructure bill would be a start. Pulling the rest of our Troopers out of Irag. Today we had 3 US soldiers killed. Plus in Iraq we are no longer allowed to engage the enemy. Iraqi Security Forces have to take the Lead. Hows That for a start Grumpy? ;D

with regard to making sure that we pay our debts, it is the president's move....congress has said that there will be no increase in the debt ceiling absent structural reductions in spending and i hope that they mean it....now the president will either cave or be prepared to deal with the consequences, he should be making contingency plans already re spending priorities should the debt ceiling not be raised.....yes with libya there is work to be done and that work is articles of impeachment.....iraq they must defund because clearly we are no longer there to fight and this president never was, further he has declared victory and now is begging to stay....so i guess there is some work to be done after all.....still go home congress, you will do less harm......

Captain Obvious
06-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Depends.

The battle cry of the Republicans was to cut spending. How much has been cut so far?

Any taxes raised?

The biggest drain on deficit spending is the military. Pork is a small part of it, cutting pork is more out of principle but it ain't going to balance shit.

Are we going to fund Medicare and Social Security or are we going to let them go bankrupt?

On the course that we're on now, it would seem that the threat of default would be imminent, but it goes beyond that. Getting spending under control to a surplus state should be the objective - not simply spending to the far most limits of our borrowing capacity which is seemingly where we are now.

The time is now to act. Not next year, not next term - now. Greece is rioting because of measures they're taking to continue solvency. Will that have to happen here before we get our spending under control?

It amazes me that countries like Greece - those countries who share a sharp similarity with our current course of spending aren't more of a wake-up call. It's one of those "can't happen here" mentality things I fear.

MMC
06-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Depends.

The battle cry of the Republicans was to cut spending. How much has been cut so far?

Any taxes raised?

The biggest drain on deficit spending is the military. Pork is a small part of it, cutting pork is more out of principle but it ain't going to balance shit.

Are we going to fund Medicare and Social Security or are we going to let them go bankrupt?

On the course that we're on now, it would seem that the threat of default would be imminent, but it goes beyond that. Getting spending under control to a surplus state should be the objective - not simply spending to the far most limits of our borrowing capacity which is seemingly where we are now.

The time is now to act. Not next year, not next term - now. Greece is rioting because of measures they're taking to continue solvency. Will that have to happen here before we get our spending under control?

It amazes me that countries like Greece - those countries who share a sharp similarity with our current course of spending aren't more of a wake-up call. It's one of those "can't happen here" mentality things I fear.

Your right Cap the wake up call should have been the UK.....especially when they came out a month ago and said they were wrong about the Inflation. Which is after they raised the corporate tax. Complete fail.

GRUMPY
07-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Depends.

Any taxes raised?

Are we going to fund Medicare and Social Security or are we going to let them go bankrupt?The biggest drain on deficit spending is the military. Pork is a small part of it, cutting pork is more out of principle but it ain't going to balance shit.On the course that we're on now, it would seem that the threat of default would be imminent, but it goes beyond that. Getting spending under control to a surplus state should be the objective - not simply spending to the far most limits of our borrowing capacity which is seemingly where we are now.

boys and girls, maintaining the military is the one thing that the govt has a mandate to do, can it be done better regarding redundancy and procurement of course and it should be....the drain on the budget today, tomorrow and for generations to come are unfunded entitlements, ss, medicare and medicaid must be changed structurally and the thought process behind these programs fundamentally....finally earmarks, pork etc.....the whole budget is pork and earmarks in that the taxpayer is fleeced to fund programs etc that are well outside the legal role of govt the purpose being to buy votes and perpetuate ones incumbency.....here is a start, the depts of energy, ed, agriculture, interior, all gone.....

GRUMPY
07-01-2011, 05:42 AM
further, if you want to cut military expenditures fine.....pull out of iraq, as i have said this admin has claimed iraq as their victory, the iraqi govt has stated that they want us out and we are not fighting just being used as targets....pull out of nato, it has no purpose, let the euros fund their own militarise or learn to speak russian....pull out of korea, they spend more time protesting us than selling us cheap shit....if we believe we have a national security interest in korea meet it through a commitment re nuclear response to attack.....use these men to secure our borders and ports.....

MMC
07-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I agree with Much of what Grumpy says......Althought I say Start with Homeland Security, then get rid of the US Marshals Office. Reduce the S.O.S Dept including their NFP's. Then reduce the Amount of Embassies that we have all across the globe. We only need one in a Central location in each Region of the World. Thus pulling back on those Marines that have to guard such. Elimate all Special Envoys......no need to pay 6 digit incomes for part time work. Start having all US ambassdors with experience in foreign policy for the regions they work in. Actually doing diplomatic work and not partying with the elite and celebreties around the world. Pull out of NATO and let the EU protect themselves. Quit funding the IMF.

Pull our Troopers out of Iraq, Korea, Japan, and Afghanistan. Althought I would also state moving the 5th Fleet out of Bahrain. Do what the Arabs did with Dubai and build off the Malidive Islands where we have a sub-base. Creates jobs and it will be our own land and territory. Transferrring Troops and building a larger base off the Kamchatka and Alaskan bridge pennisula that are connected, albeit under water. Transferring and accomadating troops to the Southern bases of the US for use with border Security. Kinda hard to cross open Artillery and Munitions fields of Operation, and where troops train. Reducing the amount of area in which illegal immigrants from Mexico use to enter the country.

Reduce the Dept of Education with the Fed. That is a State government function that needs to be maintained. Get rid of the US Census Bureau. Forcing States to make good on the number of their populations. Althought there should be a means to regulate or validate the veracity of the states numbers. Stop all the free-trade bullshit. Get rid of NAFTA.

Force all religions to pay-land taxes......Stop all life-time appointments of Judges. Stop all Nation building and infrastructure of other countries and quit sharing any military technology. It,s a start. Somebody has to do it!

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm not advocating cutting military spending. I would like to see other western countries share the bill.

It gets a little old being the only democracy buying drinks at the bar.

DGUtley
05-03-2023, 07:09 AM
No.

carolina73
05-03-2023, 07:23 AM
12 years later and still discussing the same issues with the same scare tactics.

Bigdog
05-03-2023, 09:03 AM
12 years later and still discussing the same issues with the same scare tactics.
Yes and with 100+% more debt!:drinkupbitchesuo1:

Newpublius
05-03-2023, 09:10 AM
Will the US default on June 1st? I'd suggest probably not of course. Will the US default by way of inflation? Well, the US actually already has, ie the inflation during the pandemic was a partial soft default. The debt will likely be paid back with inflated dollars. They can't actually pay it without resorting to that, its just a question of time, right now the interest expense is beginning to crowd out the federal budget. It gets worse from here, but we're already in the beginning part of the sovereign debt crisis.

DGUtley
05-03-2023, 09:15 AM
it is disgusting and repugnant.