PDA

View Full Version : Someone you should know

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Chris Kyle, ex Seal, deadliest sniper in US military history was killed by "friend" at a gun range.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2272697/Deadliest-sniper-U-S-military-history-Chris-Kyle-shot-killed-point-blank-veteran-suffering-PTSD-Texas-gun-range.html#axzz2JqdcnhG2

Standing, hand salute.

This is the OD section of the forum, so keep that in mind.

oceanloverOH
02-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Chris Kyle, ex Seal, deadliest sniper in US military history was killed by "friend" at a gun range.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2272697/Deadliest-sniper-U-S-military-history-Chris-Kyle-shot-killed-point-blank-veteran-suffering-PTSD-Texas-gun-range.html#axzz2JqdcnhG2

Standing, hand salute.

This is the OD section of the forum, so keep that in mind.

What a tragedy! Never having served in a combat zone myself, I can only imagine the nightmarish events our veterans have witnessed and/or participated in. Stuff they have to live with, that may haunt them forever. I'm so sad that this man "recovering" from PTSD did this. My heart goes out to Chris Kyle's family.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I have not idea what the deal was with this guy, but the military and the VA had out prescription meds like candy to people with depression or PTSD- the prescriptions that have black box warnings about this sort of reaction.....

Carygrant
02-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Tangential , but I believe Russia celebrated the battle of Stalingrad today .
That , plus Britain smashing the Luftwaffe out of the skies guaranteed that the war was over from 1943 -- the rest was a mopping up operation .
Vasily Zaytsev was a Stalingrad hero and as "romantically " portrayed in , At Heaven's Gates -- some film .
He was credited with at least 400 sniper kills .

Trinnity
02-03-2013, 08:09 PM
It's so sad. But seriously I wonder if the govt will move to limit the ownership of firearms to vets. <chilling>

Mister D
02-03-2013, 08:11 PM
That , plus Britain smashing the Luftwaffe out of the skies guaranteed that the war was over from 1943 -- the rest was a mopping up operation .
Vasily Zaytsev was a Stalingrad hero and as "romantically " portrayed in , At Heaven's Gates -- some film .

It's not just tangential but also wrong. We discussed this, Cary. Britain did no such thing. Germany suffered only a few hundred more planes lost than Britain. Germany losses in personnel were more significant but that reflects being shot down over enemy territory more than anything else. You actually came very close to losing the Battle of Britain.

Again, what Britain's stand did was provide the time for the financial and industrial strength of the US to be brought to bear. Britain the time, Russia the blood, and America the material to defeat Germany.

BTW, the western allies did not perform very well in their "mopping up" operations and Russia was not only devastated but was scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of manpower by 1945.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 08:12 PM
A good movie.

If Kyle had that many targets he would have beat that record.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 08:12 PM
It's so sad. But seriously I wonder if the govt will move to limit the ownership of firearms to vets. <chilling>

I imagine that is up next.... My SIG P220 isn't going anywhere.

Chloe
02-03-2013, 08:58 PM
That's really sad and random. It's crazy to think about what kind of troubles people have in their heads.

Peter1469
02-03-2013, 09:44 PM
That's really sad and random. It's crazy to think about what kind of troubles people have in their heads.

Right.

Carygrant
02-04-2013, 04:27 AM
It's not just tangential but also wrong. We discussed this, Cary. Britain did no such thing. Germany suffered only a few hundred more planes lost than Britain. Germany losses in personnel were more significant but that reflects being shot down over enemy territory more than anything else. You actually came very close to losing the Battle of Britain.

Again, what Britain's stand did was provide the time for the financial and industrial strength of the US to be brought to bear. Britain the time, Russia the blood, and America the material to defeat Germany. BTW, the western allies did not perform very well in their "mopping up" operations and Russia was not only devastated but was scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of manpower by 1945.

You can pit yourself as much as you like against Historians , but you will still be ridiculed .
After the " Battle of Britain " , no German aircraft flew anywhere near us .
They had run out of them .
That means , they had no machines for going up in the sky .
The rest of your post is the same old hot air . We all agree that America speeded up the mopping up operation but if you bothered to read the German History , you would know that they had privately surrendered in 1943 which gave Bormann the time to carry out his brilliant exit strategy -- made with full US agreement and sponsorship .
Your comment about Russia is also misplaced . Of course they were in tatters --- all the countries that had fought a full war were . America had just strolled in near the end , after certain of its citizens had grown fat from supplying arms to Germany while the real allies were at war !!!! But if Stalin had ordered his Red Army to move , they would have been somewhere nearer Madrid than Berlin in a very short time --. Or shot in the back .

RollingWave
02-04-2013, 05:28 AM
There's a Chinese saying that warriors want to die "wrapped in the strapping for their horses" a metaphor that means they want to die on the battlefield, it is a shame that Kyle meet a tragic death and it was not where warriors should meet such deaths.

Some Chinese poems have bases on military / frontier , one I have always like.

The marching orders played from on top of horse backs, as your about to drink fine wine from exotic vase.
Please don't laugh as I lie drunk on the field, oh how many men past have returned from war?

zelmo1234
02-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Thanks Peter posting this.

Goodbye to an American Hero, until.we meet again

It is too bad that we do not let Herod like Chris, go and talk to our kids. Especially I. Our inner city where they so desperately need positive role models

Cigar
02-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Tragic ... as always

Mister D
02-04-2013, 08:50 AM
You can pit yourself as much as you like against Historians , but you will still be ridiculed .
After the " Battle of Britain " , no German aircraft flew anywhere near us .
They had run out of them .
That means , they had no machines for going up in the sky .
The rest of your post is the same old hot air . We all agree that America speeded up the mopping up operation but if you bothered to read the German History , you would know that they had privately surrendered in 1943 which gave Bormann the time to carry out his brilliant exit strategy -- made with full US agreement and sponsorship .
Your comment about Russia is also misplaced . Of course they were in tatters --- all the countries that had fought a full war were . America had just strolled in near the end , after certain of its citizens had grown fat from supplying arms to Germany while the real allies were at war !!!! But if Stalin had ordered his Red Army to move , they would have been somewhere nearer Madrid than Berlin in a very short time --. Or shot in the back .

You can cite statitics showing that Britain shot the Luftwaffe "out of the sky" but you won't because it's a claim that cannot be supported by the available evidence. The disparity in planes lost was not high and it is generally accepted that Britain nearly lost the encounter. Thankfully, the Germans started bombing your cities instead of RAF facilities. If they had not you probably would have lost.

The Germans did not surrender in 1943 privately or otherwise. Please stop embarassing yourself.

My comment on Russian was of course accurate which is why you do not actually dispute it.