PDA

View Full Version : Mentally-Ill smoke 30% Of All Cigarettes

GrassrootsConservative
02-05-2013, 07:35 PM
http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/Smoking/37203
Snip:

Federal survey results indicate that smoking intensities as well as smoking rates are dramatically higher in the mentally ill compared with other Americans, officials said Tuesday.
A joint "Vital Signs" report (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm62e0205a1.htm?s_cid=mm62e0205a1_w) from the CDC and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) indicated that, among adults who reported symptoms consistent with a recognized mental illness, 36.1% were current smokers, compared with 21.4% of the rest of the population.
The report, based on data from the 2009-2011 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, also found that 30.9% of all cigarettes consumed in the U.S. were smoked by the mentally ill. In part, this disproportion reflects heavier smoking in the mentally ill, with an average of 331 cigarettes per month compared with 310 in the rest of the smoking population.

This is interesting.
Comments?

oceanloverOH
02-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Very interesting concept....but I don't know as I agree that there is any tie-in with mental health and number of cigarettes smoked daily. It may just be that people classified as "mentally ill" mostly aren't in the work force, and have more free time available to smoke. Half a pack a day just isn't all that significant, IMO.

P.S. I smoked for 37+ years and quit smoking 7 years ago. Where would I fit into this?

GrassrootsConservative
02-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Very interesting concept....but I don't know as I agree that there is any tie-in with mental health and number of cigarettes smoked daily. It may just be that people classified as "mentally ill" mostly aren't in the work force, and have more free time available to smoke. Half a pack a day just isn't all that significant, IMO.

P.S. I smoked for 37+ years and quit smoking 7 years ago. Where would I fit into this?

Congratulations. That's great.
I've smoked since I was 16 and quit just this past January.

Carygrant
02-06-2013, 03:01 AM
Congratulations. That's great.
I've smoked since I was 16 and quit just this past January.

If past January means last month in English , how do you continue being a pothead ?
Does it mean that you bake several cakes a week , for example . Or do you poke lumps up your posterior -- details unnecessary?

Disco Stu
02-06-2013, 06:24 AM
If past January means last month in English , how do you continue being a pothead ?
Does it mean that you bake several cakes a week , for example . Or do you poke lumps up your posterior -- details unnecessary?

I smoke pot mainly as a substitute for alcohol

Where most people can have afew drinks socially I end up on 2/3 day drunks

If I get a taste of booze I just crave more and more

With weed I can take afew pulls and I'm cool and it*doesn't interfere with my life whereas when I used to drink heavily I was bouncing from job to job in and out of detox wards and often sick and malnourished

Weed don't do that I take afew pulls watch TV and go to bed

GrassrootsConservative
02-06-2013, 06:37 AM

Have you read the title of this thread?
Cigarettes are the topic of discussion here.

GrassrootsConservative
02-06-2013, 06:38 AM

With weed I can take afew pulls and I'm cool and it*doesn't interfere with my life whereas when I used to drink heavily I was bouncing from job to job in and out of detox wards and often sick and malnourished

Ya pot is totally fine. Ever seen Super High Me?
Doctor there told the main person that after 20+ years of smoking weed that after a few tests he had concluded that he had no permanent consequences. Both mentally and physically.

oceanloverOH
02-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Well, look at it this way, GRC. You've cut in half the amount of plants you're burning and inhaling; that's gotta be good. Does that mean that now you're only half as mentally ill as you were?

Alif Qadr
02-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Snip:

This is interesting.
Comments?
Maybe the mentally ill are more frantic that others so they either need a habit to express or release their over activity.

Carygrant
02-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Have you read the title of this thread?
Cigarettes are the topic of discussion here.

Precisely . Think before rushing off one of your angry splats .
For a teacher you seem to spend no time teaching .
So now you owe us two answers-- how do you go about being a pothead now that you are a recovering nicotine addict ?
How do you cram teaching between your time here and being a pothead?

GrassrootsConservative
02-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Precisely . Think before rushing off one of your angry splats .
For a teacher you seem to spend no time teaching .
So now you owe us two answers-- how do you go about being a pothead now that you are a recovering nicotine addict ?
How do you cram teaching between your time here and being a pothead?

Has anyone besides Cary ever seen me claim to be a teacher?

GrassrootsConservative
02-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Well, look at it this way, GRC. You've cut in half the amount of plants you're burning and inhaling; that's gotta be good. Does that mean that now you're only half as mentally ill as you were?

Actually with the lack of cigarettes I for sure feel MORE crazy, but my girlfriend says it's healthier this way, so eh..
If the shoe fits, I guess.

Adelaide
02-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Snip:

This is interesting.
Comments?

When I was a teenager my depression/PTSD was bad enough that my parents sent me to a day school program for young adults, (16-21 years of age) with mental illness for about 6 months while I adjusted to medications. That is when I started smoking - it was just something you did. It's almost a social thing for psychiatric patients. Inbetween all the different forms of therapy, it's a way to get outside and away from the nurse Ratcheds of the world. So, I think those types of environments encourage smoking on a peer-to-peer level.

Funny story about that school: we snuck out to the hospital parking garage during lunch break and got totally baked. Then we had to go to group therapy, where the social workers were asking us why we were so sleepy/lethargic and we all just said it must be our medications. Still funny - I'm sure they knew. Nothing quite like smoking up with a schizophrenic, a couple bipolar girls, and a violent psychopath who likes to smell your hair. Good times... /sarcasm.

GrassrootsConservative
02-06-2013, 07:36 AM
When I was a teenager my depression/PTSD was bad enough that my parents sent me to a day school program for young adults, (16-21 years of age) with mental illness for about 6 months while I adjusted to medications. That is when I started smoking - it was just something you did. It's almost a social thing for psychiatric patients. Inbetween all the different forms of therapy, it's a way to get outside and away from the nurse Ratcheds of the world. So, I think those types of environments encourage smoking on a peer-to-peer level.

Funny story about that school: we snuck out to the hospital parking garage during lunch break and got totally baked. Then we had to go to group therapy, where the social workers were asking us why we were so sleepy/lethargic and we all just said it must be our medications. Still funny - I'm sure they knew. Nothing quite like smoking up with a schizophrenic, a couple bipolar girls, and a violent psychopath who likes to smell your hair. Good times... /sarcasm.

You people would have fit in well with my group of misfit buddies.

Carygrant
02-06-2013, 07:37 AM

I don't want to come across as a prude and complete "kill joy" , but I have yet to meet an addict of anything who is able to be truthful about anything relating to addiction .
I have mentioned before that I had a few potheads working for me at one time and I also knew several well socially .
They all had low self esteem, possessed low motivation for anything " smelling " of work and were spectators of life rather than life players .
And that was in the days before today's Skunk super strength dope plus other chemical additives .
Being a pothead is therefore damaging short and longterm , and extremely boring for those obliged to be involved with Skunk Dunks, as we say .imo .
Alcohol is no better , as we all know , except for any full blown addicts who may be among us --- where denial is the name of the game .

I don't know how to sensibly comment about your own present position and it is probably none of my business . Obviously, congratulations on what seems like a good trend . But it is better to avoid the Devil totally as he is a Games Master of the highest order .

Adelaide
02-06-2013, 07:38 AM
You people would have fit in well with my group of misfit buddies.

You should have seen us when we went clubbing underage together. Honestly, we would have made good movie material.

Carygrant
02-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Has anyone besides Cary ever seen me claim to be a teacher?

You posted it .
Probably smashed .

So , now that you have been fired , what's your new job?
Hedge Fund Manager or just lying under them ?

GrassrootsConservative
02-06-2013, 07:48 AM
You posted it .
Probably smashed .

So , now that you have been fired , what's your new job?
Hedge Fund Manager or just lying under them ?

Find it. This website has a "search" feature. Go find it.

Carygrant
02-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Find it. This website has a "search" feature. Go find it.

Shouting won't change matters .
I have a near perfect photographic memory and to help you make the search I am confident that you made your claim ( more than once)and recently.
As a high stakes gambler in certain narrow sporting areas I only work with facts .
It might be politic(!) for you to make sure you are doing the same .

Peter1469
02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Ya pot is totally fine. Ever seen Super High Me?
Doctor there told the main person that after 20+ years of smoking weed that after a few tests he had concluded that he had no permanent consequences. Both mentally and physically.

Not long ago a study came out that said if you start weed too early it stunts your emotional growth.

GrassrootsConservative
02-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Not long ago a study came out that said if you start weed too early it stunts your emotional growth.

That's why I support legalization of it, get it off the streets and it will be harder for minors to obtain it.

KC
02-06-2013, 06:33 PM
That's why I support legalization of it, get it off the streets and it will be harder for minors to obtain it.

Hopefully. That's definitely one possible outcome, but I think an even better one is that legalization brings the price of pot down, making it a preferred drug to cigarettes or other more harmful drugs.